CORNer Blitzes

MiamiJoe

Sophomore
We are going to really miss him next year but Diaz use of corner blitzes has been refreshing. I don't think the prior administration even knew the play existed.

Advertisement
D'Onofrio would dial up the corner blitz now and again. Unfortunately since our corners were playing 15 yards off the line of scrimmage, it took about three minutes for them to reach the quarterback.

The corner blitz has been money this year, I'm sure we will find a guy who can make this work again next season.

Didn't we run a successful corner blitz on the first defensive play against Teddy Bridgewater in the bowl game?

Advertisement
I like the corner blitz, but they need to call it off when the WR splits too wide (too far to come) and get better read on the cadence and timing for the SS Blitz. Also blitz off the slot guy when in tight and no running back on that side to protect.

Advertisement
Imagine if Artie Burns mom didn't pass (RIP) we probably would have still had him and Corn on this team. So happy Corn stayed and now he's gonna get paid big time. Good for him

Advertisement
Malek Young will be placed in that role once Elder is gone, he's the one that Diaz will put in that position & give a similar level of responsibility with the Defense.

I like the corner blitz, but they need to call it off when the WR splits too wide (too far to come) and get better read on the cadence and timing for the SS Blitz. Also blitz off the slot guy when in tight and no running back on that side to protect.

Pretty sure the corner blitz is only called from the boundary side. There shouldn't ever be a long run from the corner on the blitz. IIRC, the blitz from Saturday, there was no WR to Corn's side and he was lined up even closer than if there would've been a WR to that side.

Advertisement
I would defer to Lu here but what I've noticed, it seems that guys on defense are given free reign to blitz if their assignment changes or stays home. I see a lot of guys especially in the secondary watch the offense and if their key isn't a threat, they blitz. Sometimes it looks like it's a delayed blitz but it seems to me that Diaz says "look rather than stand around covering air, go get that ************"

I would defer to Lu here but what I've noticed, it seems that guys on defense are given free reign to blitz if their assignment changes or stays home. I see a lot of guys especially in the secondary watch the offense and if their key isn't a threat, they blitz. Sometimes it looks like it's a delayed blitz but it seems to me that Diaz says "look rather than stand around covering air, go get that ************"

I dont think that is happening with the DB but I know in some defenses if the LB has the RB/TE in man coverage and he stays to block, that is like a auto blitz on his part to overload the blocking scheme. So it seems like a delayed blitz but in reality, the back is helping on a DE or another blitzer and now the LB goes and cleans up.

A lot of DC's will blitz the boundary CB, especially if there's only a TE to that side. (or no pass catcher at all)

Shannon's DC's did it, D'Onofrio did it and Diaz does it. It's noting new around here.

Yall remember the sack/fumble that Brandon Harris caused against Oklahoma?

Advertisement
Back