Corn Elder & Derrick Griffin

Ziggy

Junior
Both will reportedly play both football and basketball at the U. Just wondering does anyone remember anyone good who did both? I assume they will end up just sticking with one sport.

Advertisement
The dual sport thing always makes me a little nervous. Better to be a master of one trade than a jack of all, right? If Thompson, for example, only played football, I think there's a very good chance we'd see him as our starting QB in 2014.

But if the kids can handle the demanding schedule and the grind on their bodies, all the more power to them.

Not to thread jack, but I'm most curious to see if Derrick Griffin qualifies. Anyone have an update on that?

Julius Pepper was pretty good off the bench at North Carolina. Also Charlie Ward was able to excel at both sports.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez

I think Gates was striclty a basketball player in college.
There really aren't that many.
I think last year there was one at USCarolina. I forgot his name, but I remember his name being
mentioned during their bowl game.
I think Syracuse has had several in the past, including Donovan McNabb.
Rusty Larue at Wake Forest during the 1990s actually played hoops, football and baseball.

Uuuuhhh...

Bo Jackson, Deon Sanders and what about guys who run track? I know it's not as demanding....

Advertisement
What, no love for Kenny Kelly? He did one thing that Dorsey didn't do. He beat Ohio State in the Kickoff Classic. :)

The guys mentioned above are pretty much past the new college football era. Just can't see it working out and coach golden needs them as bad as coach L, these guys are freaks.

Advertisement
Ronald Curry was the starting quarterback and point guard for UNC and was pretty decent at both. Greg Paulus played football and basketball but not at the same time.

Elder wasn't a big time basketball recruit, so I'd expect that experiment to be short lived. Griffin is a legit prospect in both, but it's extremely hard to pull off both. Maybe for a season or two, but then he'll probably have to choose.

Justin Gage, Nate Robinson & Antwaan Randle El are some others that have done it. Texas A&M had 2 play both in the same season - Jerrod Johnson & Martellus Bennett.

The last recruit I can think of who was expected to not just play, but excel at both was Ronald Curry at UNC.

Advertisement
that wide receiver from south carolina who was both the starting wide out and starting point guard, i think his name was ellington or something like that

that wide receiver from south carolina who was both the starting wide out and starting point guard, i think his name was ellington or something like that

Bruce Ellington last year he had 40 receptions 600 yards 7 TDs at WR then went to start 23 games at PG averaging 10 points per game for the third straight year on the hardwood.

I think Corn Elder and Griffin will actually redshirt next year in football but not in basketball.

Advertisement
Back