Corn Elder & Derrick Griffin

Elder wasn't a big time basketball recruit, so I'd expect that experiment to be short lived. Griffin is a legit prospect in both, but it's extremely hard to pull off both. Maybe for a season or two, but then he'll probably have to choose.

Justin Gage, Nate Robinson & Antwaan Randle El are some others that have done it. Texas A&M had 2 play both in the same season - Jerrod Johnson & Martellus Bennett.

The last recruit I can think of who was expected to not just play, but excel at both was Ronald Curry at UNC.

Elder was a 3 star point guard who led his team to a state championship . He will be more than an afterthought in BBALL

Advertisement
Elder wasn't a big time basketball recruit, so I'd expect that experiment to be short lived. Griffin is a legit prospect in both, but it's extremely hard to pull off both. Maybe for a season or two, but then he'll probably have to choose.

Justin Gage, Nate Robinson & Antwaan Randle El are some others that have done it. Texas A&M had 2 play both in the same season - Jerrod Johnson & Martellus Bennett.

The last recruit I can think of who was expected to not just play, but excel at both was Ronald Curry at UNC.

Elder was a 3 star point guard who led his team to a state championship . He will be more than an afterthought in BBALL

Elder may have been rated a 3 star some places - but he was a Mid Major recruit.

His other basketball offers were Middle TN St, Western Kentucky, FL Gulf Coast, Jacksonville & TN Tech.

Not saying it can't be done, but an undersized mid-major recruit stepping off the football field and directly into ACC conference play as a true freshman is going to be extremely difficult.

Elder may have been rated a 3 star some places - but he was a Mid Major recruit.

His other basketball offers were Middle TN St, Western Kentucky, FL Gulf Coast, Jacksonville & TN Tech.

Not saying it can't be done, but an undersized mid-major recruit stepping off the football field and directly into ACC conference play as a true freshman is going to be extremely difficult.

He can't be any worse than the human victory cigars that got in at the end of our blowouts. Unlike those guys he can at least dribble the ball up court to run time out.

If coach L thinks hrs good enough and can help then that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back