Corey Gaynor named ACC OL of the Week

0D4930D3-484A-41C8-8346-F060D9A64CD3.gif

Advertisement
I would disagree. The defensive line was just as bad as last year. UAB was in the backfield all the time. King avoided about 7 sacks.

UAB was credited with 7 pressures for the game. That’s not a lot. They had one player with 9 pressures by himself in their first game. The two sacks surrendered were not charged to any linemen. You must have slept through last season because they gave up twice as many sacks per game on average.

Look at replay of second sack .Nice pocket. Blocker on right had control of his man. King got happy feet and ran right into man being blocked That sack was on King.if he was going to run should have ran inside the block
PPF credited both sacks to King. If a QB holds the ball to long or scrambles from a clean pocket into a sack, they blame the QB. Now his scrambling abilities got him out of a couple so I’d still say he was a net positive lol.

PPF credited both sacks to King. If a QB holds the ball to long or scrambles from a clean pocket into a sack, they blame the QB. Now his scrambling abilities got him out of a couple so I’d still say he was a net positive.
Happy feet much better than standing like a statue for ten seconds. My comment because I thought OL did better than some here give them credit for.. Looked much better than last year. Not sayiing they are a really good line yet but they were definately better than last year

Last edited:
Advertisement
If you watch the game play for play, you'll see some instances where Gaynor had issues with size more than he usually does. I mean, he had a NT in his face all game. In the past, Gaynor's struggles were with quickness. In this game, he actually moved to the second level and locked up pretty well. One example of a size issue from memory: on Rooster's first long run, he tried to wall off the Nose and got tossed aside. The play was still successful because Rooster had bounced outside. Just something to look for going forward if teams line up a NT directly over. People understandably noticed Scaife's few issues, so thought it was fair to bring up all interior issues. UAB had two big dudes in the middle, so we can also just credit them. Not sure why people think all of UAB's players were "bad" and therefore our guys had to be 100% dominant.

I think I said in another post I just hope Gaynor's a steadying force. Either way, our OL helped spring our QB/RBs for 300+ in the running game, so I'm glad Gaynor got his accolade. I'll continue to try to temper expectations on Gaynor while acknowledging he's solid for us. It doesn't have to be "bench him" vs "he's a star." He can just be solid and continuously improving.
He better get used to it, I think atleast the next 3 games will have a big dude right in his grill..

Thankfully UL has a smaller nose tackle and FSU doesn’t line up a tackle in the zero technique.

Good news. Need 4 more guys around him to play at least average for us to improve, especially in key situations like 3rd down.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back