Corey Gaynor named ACC OL of the Week

If you watch the game play for play, you'll see some instances where Gaynor had issues with size more than he usually does. I mean, he had a NT in his face all game. In the past, Gaynor's struggles were with quickness. In this game, he actually moved to the second level and locked up pretty well. One example of a size issue from memory: on Rooster's first long run, he tried to wall off the Nose and got tossed aside. People understandably noticed Scaife's few issues, so thought it was fair to bring up all interior issues. UAB had two big dudes in the middle, so we can also just credit them. Not sure why people think all of UAB's players were "bad" and therefore our guys had to be 100% dominant.

I think I said in another post I just hope Gaynor's a steadying force. Either way, our OL helped spring our RBs for 300+ in the running game, so I'm glad Gaynor got his accolade. I'll continue to try to temper expectations on Gaynor while acknowledging he's solid for us. It doesn't have to be "bench him" vs "he's a star." He can just be solid and continuously improving.
Respectable take. I noticed the same thing.

Also never understood why guys don’t recognize that other teams have players too and give them credit.

Along the OL and DL, size has potential to be a bigger deal than people think. Some schools roll out 265lb guards. 6-5 330lb collegiate DL COULD give that olineman fits. Even if the OL played at Alabama.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Considering what we saw last year, offensive line performance was pretty solid on thursday. It's not a dominant line that's going to push everyone around but they're significantly better than the worst P5 line in the country that we trotted out last season. Congrats to Corey. Keep it up.
Tried to tell everyone, a better scheme would make them look worlds better. What Enos was asking of them was incredibly stupid.

There is obviously room for improvement, but anything Lashlee does will be better than what Enos did. ****, I wasn't exactly thrilled with some aspects of our game on Thursday night, but **** if we didn't look a lot better on the OL. Not perfect, but a lot better.

Advertisement
2414F2DA-B1E8-4B33-A137-45A670C412FD.jpeg

Tried to tell everyone, a better scheme would make them look worlds better. What Enos was asking of them was incredibly stupid.

There is obviously room for improvement, but anything Lashlee does will be better than what Enos did. ****, I wasn't exactly thrilled with some aspects of our game on Thursday night, but **** if we didn't look a lot better on the OL. Not perfect, but a lot better.
The offense they were trying to run last year was the worst possible offense you could run with such an inexperienced line. Thinking this group would become all world overnight was ridiculous but there's no reason this can't be an "average" P5 line. Not asking them to block for 5+seconds while Jarren Williams slowly went through his 75 reads will make the pass blocking infinitely better (although it would be tough to get worse as only one team surrendered more sacks per game).

Yes, they had some rough patches Thursday but overall it was a solid, not great job. It's tough to consistently run the ball into a stacked defense, especially when you're running the same thing over and over. It was a good first impression.

Advertisement
Considering what we saw last year, offensive line performance was pretty solid on thursday. It's not a dominant line that's going to push everyone around but they're significantly better than the worst P5 line in the country that we trotted out last season. Congrats to Corey. Keep it up.
It wasn't that solid. They got beat off the line a lot and UAB brought a lot of pressure. King must have avoided at least 7 sacks with his legs

And to think that Ryan Rod and Big Baby will follow right behind him. They're Gaynor+ type dudes in that they have the toughness and technique but are blue chip prospects from the get.

Advertisement
This game was 20x’s better than their best game last season. We’ll put it that way
I would disagree. The defensive line was just as bad as last year. UAB was in the backfield all the time. King avoided about 7 sacks.

If you watch the game play for play, you'll see some instances where Gaynor had issues with size more than he usually does. I mean, he had a NT in his face all game. In the past, Gaynor's struggles were with quickness. In this game, he actually moved to the second level and locked up pretty well. One example of a size issue from memory: on Rooster's first long run, he tried to wall off the Nose and got tossed aside. The play was still successful because Rooster had bounced outside. Just something to look for going forward if teams line up a NT directly over. People understandably noticed Scaife's few issues, so thought it was fair to bring up all interior issues. UAB had two big dudes in the middle, so we can also just credit them. Not sure why people think all of UAB's players were "bad" and therefore our guys had to be 100% dominant.

I think I said in another post I just hope Gaynor's a steadying force. Either way, our OL helped spring our QB/RBs for 300+ in the running game, so I'm glad Gaynor got his accolade. I'll continue to try to temper expectations on Gaynor while acknowledging he's solid for us. It doesn't have to be "bench him" vs "he's a star." He can just be solid and continuously improving.

Hes oging to have problems with a stout nose or 1.

His snaps were good and i do believe like you said he has good 2nd level ability. I look at him as a steady center..and if we keep him until he is 2022 that would be GREAT.

The guys coming behind him at the position will be real good with guys like Big Baby committed or Ryan Rodriguez..which ever one of those guys they play at center have higher upside long term.

I must say from a "look" standpoint our ol look in better sgape all around. I see a lot of definition in those arms and not as much flab and guts. Goes with the up tempo offense.

Advertisement
Look at replay of second sack .Nice pocket. Blocker on right had control of his man. King got happy feet and ran right into man being blocked That sack was on King.if he was going to run should have ran inside the block

Last edited:
Hes oging to have problems with a stout nose or 1.

His snaps were good and i do believe like you said he has good 2nd level ability. I look at him as a steady center..and if we keep him until he is 2022 that would be GREAT.

The guys coming behind him at the position will be real good with guys like Big Baby committed or Ryan Rodriguez..which ever one of those guys they play at center have higher upside long term.

I must say from a "look" standpoint our ol look in better sgape all around. I see a lot of definition in those arms and not as much flab and guts. Goes with the up tempo offense.
We will see our next 2 games bring some good comp inside. Goldwire is a big dude that I believe lines up over the Center and FSU obviously has Wilson eventhough hes not a NT.

Lets see how he does then.

Advertisement
Back