Corey Gaynor commits to Miami

View as article
Stars are well-nigh useless when evaluating OL, IMO. What I look for is footwork, hands, leverage/balance, burst, and aggression.

This kid has some major nasty in him. I like his footwork in the power/pulling guard game. Pretty good balance in pass protection. He locks up with defenders well, though I'd like to see a bit more technique out of his hands (sometimes it looks like he's just shoulder-charging or wrestling defenders to the ground.) Anybody know what his competition level is?

Advertisement
I like this kid's film but I am not gonna lie...I'll be disappointed if our only interior OL in this cycle are Dykstra and this kid.

We're okay on interior OL tho...need some OTs. Only taking 2 G/C types is prob okay for this cycle.

Star rating system is meaningless.

Remember Sean Taylor? He was rated as two stars when he got out of HS. Look at what he ended up as one of our best players ever.

Aaron Rodgers was rated two stars before he became one of the elite QBs in NFL.

Advertisement

Remember Sean Taylor? He was rated as two stars when he got out of HS. Look at what he ended up as one of our best players ever.

Ed reed you mean. Sean T was a 5star

This kid's highlights are literally just him body slamming kids that are half his size. It was easily one of the more entertaining hudl clips I've ever watched. That being said I have no idea if he is any good at all. It's so hard to predict OL. Especially when the competition is bad. He's got the size and the mean streak though. That's a **** of a good start.

For you star whores and kids new to recruiting:

Projected centers tend to be lower ranked than tackles or even guards, this is a miami caliber recruit. Relax.
The nerd guru sites are notoriously awful at evaluating OL.

Love a mean nasty corksucker at C like Jake Grove.

Advertisement
The only person who puts stock into Rivals rankings is Barry Jackson, and that says everything that needs to be said. With that in mind, OL, especially interior guards and centers, is the most difficult position group to project on the football field with rankings alone. Give me a kid who murders people on the field with ideal size and that's good enough for me.

Right I stand corrected. Thanks Brock!

Just watched this Hudl w/ my co-worker who was Ken Dorsey's OL at Miramonte High and went on to play for Texas Tech before blowing out his knee....

He literally just said this is the type of OL you want on your team. He's not pretty, and you don't want pretty in the trenches; you want OLmen that look to hit and finish and show strength at the point of attack.

I was thoroughly impressed by this kid's film. 106 pancakes in a high school season is not an accident. He's legit. This is not going to be the **** OL pick up, but this cat may wind up being our best b/c of that streak he plays w/ him.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Sean was not a 5 star.

This is correct. Pretty sure he was a 3 star in some recruiting sites.

Advertisement
Back