5. Willie Taggart, FSU

6. Lovie Smith, Illinois

7. Gus Malzahn, Auburn

8. Frank Wilson, UTSA

9. Chad Morris, Arkansas

10. Brent Brennan, San Jose State

Any disagreement on my rankings?

Advertisement
Other than Helton, Taggart, and Malzhan, these are corches at irrelevant programs. Rutgers should drop out of the Big 10 and down to whatever conference Temple is in.

Advertisement
It would take a spectacular failure for Taggart to get canned this year. Like, a 2-10 regular season. And I don't think that's happening:

I would move malzhan a little forward he needs a 9-10 win season to stay there imo

I think this is a great point. Most SEC athletic departments operate under the delusion that they're *this close* to a national championship.

Taggart captured lightning in a bottle on those USF teams.

My cousin played for him and was a GA during his tenure.

He’s never told me this nor do I think he believes it but based on what he told me, Willie T’s a coarch (corch) (sp?).

Advertisement
I think Will Muschamp is on the hot seat pretty high this year, he's way more likely to get fired than Malzahn imo.

Everybody always thinks Auburn is going to fire him but they keep giving him extensions, I don't see them firing Coach Boomhauer this year unless they have a disaster season & go 7-5/6-6.

He's has a 75% remainders clause in his contract which means if they fire him before the deal is over he's owed 75% of what's left & because he signed an extension back in 2017 that's good until 2023/24 he's looking at a $31-32million dollar buyout. I think Aubrun will wait another year before they pull the trigger.

Lovie Smith is gone this year, it's simply a matter of when, not if.

I don't think FSU fires Taggart unless they have another losing season, they go 8-4 & he's safe, anything less than that & he's outta there.

Sonny Dykes at SMU, Phil Montgomery at Tulsa, Frank Wilson at UTSA & Mike Bobo at Col St are all getting fired this year as well.

Chad Morris, Derek Mason, Matt Luke & Jon Smith (Oregon St) are all on the hot seat imo too, wouldn't be surprised if any of them got fired.

Advertisement
I think the rankings are as follows

1. Clay Helton, USCw

2. Bob Davie, New Mexico

3. Randy Edsall, UConn

4. Chris Ash, Rutgers

5. Willie Taggart, FSU

6. Lovie Smith, Illinois

7. Gus Malzahn, Auburn

8. Frank Wilson, UTSA

9. Chad Morris, Arkansas

Remove Taggart. They aren't firing him with that buyout.

Remove Taggart. They aren't firing him with that buyout.

Correct. It'd take a literal abomination of a season, and I still don't know where they'd get the money from. 99.9% chance he's back for next year regardless of how they do this season. Even 6-6 and they're not paying him $18M to leave.

I wouldn’t say Chad Morris is on the hot seat. He’s sorta just keeping the seat warm for Gus when he inevitably gets fired.

Advertisement

1. Clay Helton, USCw

2. Bob Davie, New Mexico

3. Randy Edsall, UConn

4. Chris Ash, Rutgers

5. Willie Taggart, FSU

6. Lovie Smith, Illinois

7. Gus Malzahn, Auburn

8. Frank Wilson, UTSA

9. Chad Morris, Arkansas

Don't know and don't care about UTSA or San Jose State.

You can add Dan Mullet in 6 days.

Taggart would be higher on the list if he wasn't going into year two. Still, I can see him being fired first if FSU starts out really sluggish and doesn't show improvement. He's an embarrassing loss away from being fired.

1. Clay Helton, USCw

2. Bob Davie, New Mexico

3. Randy Edsall, UConn

4. Chris Ash, Rutgers

5. Willie Taggart, FSU

6. Lovie Smith, Illinois

7. Gus Malzahn, Auburn

8. Frank Wilson, UTSA

9. Chad Morris, Arkansas

Lovie Smith is hot garbage, but somehow got a contract extension last year. Some schools just can’t help themselves

Advertisement
Back