Corches on hot seat

Taggart would be higher on the list if he wasn't going into year two. Still, I can see him being fired first if FSU starts out really sluggish and doesn't show improvement. He's an embarrassing loss away from being fired.
It would be so bittersweet to have Miami be that embarrassing loss.

Advertisement
I think the rankings are as follows

1. Clay Helton, USCw

2. Bob Davie, New Mexico

3. Randy Edsall, UConn

4. Chris Ash, Rutgers

5. Willie Taggart, FSU

6. Lovie Smith, Illinois

7. Gus Malzahn, Auburn

8. Frank Wilson, UTSA

9. Chad Morris, Arkansas

10. Brent Brennan, San Jose State

Any disagreement on my rankings?
Willies up there somewhere.

Don't know and don't care about UTSA or San Jose State.

You can add Dan Mullet in 6 days.

I’ve long been familiar with Wilson since he replaced Coker at UTSA.

I had never heard of the SJSU coach until I researched coaches on the hot seat yesterday and saw lists with him on it. Then I looked him up and I saw his record was 3-22 after 2 years, so I figured his hot seat starts was accurate.

Advertisement

1. Clay Helton, USCw

2. Bob Davie, New Mexico

3. Randy Edsall, UConn

4. Chris Ash, Rutgers

5. Willie Taggart, FSU

6. Lovie Smith, Illinois

7. Gus Malzahn, Auburn

8. Frank Wilson, UTSA

9. Chad Morris, Arkansas

10. Brent Brennan, San Jose State

Any disagreement on my rankings?
Stopped reading after Bob Davie because who gives a **** about New Mexico football

Stopped reading after Bob Davie because who gives a **** about New Mexico football

He’s getting a decent amount of attention since he’s the former Notre Dame coach. He’s gone 3-9 each of the last 2 years, and was accused of using the n word at practice. He only got spared after last year because New Mexico couldn’t afford his buyout.

The SJSU guy is the only guy on here I’d never heard of before. He was a somewhat random addition because I had thought of 9 guys on the hot seat, but hadn’t really thought of a 10th.

Last edited:
Sounds like Tagfart isn't in danger yet. Jim Harbaugh's seat is warming up though.

Taggart is in danger of getting fired. People on here don’t want to admit it because they hope he’ll be coach forever.

Harbaugh is never getting fired. Some people are disappointed with him because they feel he hasn’t done as well as expected. That’s not really the same as being on the hot seat though.

Advertisement
Taggart would be higher on the list if he wasn't going into year two. Still, I can see him being fired first if FSU starts out really sluggish and doesn't show improvement. He's an embarrassing loss away from being fired.

They'd owe 18+ mil. They're paying a buyout for Oregon and half of USFs. Taggart would have to go winless.

They'd owe 18+ mil. They're paying a buyout for Oregon and half of USFs. Taggart would have to go winless.
It's not going to be easy for them, but they will find a way. Here's hoping it's very, very painful for them.

You have to wonder why coaches take some of these jobs (okay, the money I guess) but really who's going to be successful at Rutgers? Especially now that they're in the Big 10. The only time in their program's entire history when they weren't hot garbage was when all the good teams left the Big East and Schiano had them going 8-4 and competing with USF for conference championships.

You have to wonder why coaches take some of these jobs (okay, the money I guess) but really who's going to be successful at Rutgers? Especially now that they're in the Big 10. The only time in their program's entire history when they weren't hot garbage was when all the good teams left the Big East and Schiano had them going 8-4 and competing with USF for conference championships.

As a stepping stone position. It's like asking why Diaz went to Temple. Sometimes it works.

Advertisement
As a stepping stone position. It's like asking why Diaz went to Temple. Sometimes it works.

Temple has been pretty respectable since Golden was there. Plus, they play in a G5 conference so they don't have to worry about going up against Big 10 teams weekly like Rutgers does. None of these P5 bottom feeders is a good job. It's incredibly rare you'll be able to sustain any level of success outside of a year or two. What James Franklin did at Vandy (three years, three bowls) is unprecedented. And he was smart enough to bail for Penn State as soon as he got the chance.

I can see taking a position at a midling G5 program. It's not impossible to make Northern Illinois a winner in the MAC. It's **** near impossible to make a winner out of Vandy, Rutgers, or Kansas. Even if you somehow manage to squeeze out a year or two of success, you better jump on any opportunity that arises because you're not sustaining success there. Bill Snyder may be the only coach I can think of that took a job at a perennial bottom feeder program in a major conference and turned it into a long-term successful stint.

I think Will Muschamp is on the hot seat pretty high this year, he's way more likely to get fired than Malzahn imo.

Everybody always thinks Auburn is going to fire him but they keep giving him extensions, I don't see them firing Coach Boomhauer this year unless they have a disaster season & go 7-5/6-6.

He's has a 75% remainders clause in his contract which means if they fire him before the deal is over he's owed 75% of what's left & because he signed an extension back in 2017 that's good until 2023/24 he's looking at a $31-32million dollar buyout. I think Aubrun will wait another year before they pull the trigger.

Lovie Smith is gone this year, it's simply a matter of when, not if.

I don't think FSU fires Taggart unless they have another losing season, they go 8-4 & he's safe, anything less than that & he's outta there.

Sonny Dykes at SMU, Phil Montgomery at Tulsa, Frank Wilson at UTSA & Mike Bobo at Col St are all getting fired this year as well.

Chad Morris, Derek Mason, Matt Luke & Jon Smith (Oregon St) are all on the hot seat imo too, wouldn't be surprised if any of them got fired.

I've read that about Muschamp from a few national writers, but nobody instate seems to think so. Their schedule is ridiculous. Their fans and admin only have one goal in life, and that's beating Clemson. They seem to think Hilinski (not Bentley) and Doty (when he gets there) are going to be enough. So I think they'll give him at least another year or two. They'd probably have to really **** the bed and lose to UNC and Vandy for Muschamp to go.

Advertisement
You have to wonder why coaches take some of these jobs (okay, the money
Your question has been answered, Coaches are like any other professional, if they can get their hands on a 7 digit paycheck they will pouce on that opportunity, you never know what will happen with you after that.

1. Clay Helton, USCw

5. Willie Taggart, FSU

7. Gus Malzahn, Auburn

8. Frank Wilson, UTSA

9. Chad Morris, Arkansas
Would take Chad Morris on the staff in a heartbeat, Frank Wilson too as a position coach.

Clay Helton is fired even with a winning season, maybe he can save his job with a PAC12 championship and playoff berth;
I don't think Malzahn gets fired, unless disaster happens. Same with Willie

FSU cannot afford to fire Taggart. He could go winless this year and it would be 50-50 and a couple of donors would have to step up to fire him. He gets considerably cheaper to get shown the exit next year.

FSU is too poor to fire him.

Advertisement
Back