Cook state title game highlights

Advertisement
Based just on the highlights I've seen, he reminds me of Devin Hester (who I always thought should have been a RB in college), just a bit thicker. Great athlete with crazy burst that can do a lot of different things well, but maybe not a natural fit at any one position. Yearby is the more natural RB, vision, instincts, understanding when to just take what you can get. Maybe CJ Spiller vs Fred Jackson. One sells tickets and gets people out of their seats the other is consistent and a team captain.
Cook will play right away, but, imo, it will start out as certain packages designed to get him the ball in space until he gets a better feel for being an every down type of back. I haven't seen enough of him to know if that's a month or two or a couple seasons. I'm sure it will help focusing solely on one position and not playing both ways though.

Goes down pretty fast for 20 lbs heavier.. If love for Miami to land him but I don't see how he's better than yearby or even duke.. He's faster, great.. He'll be going against players as fast as him in college if not faster.. Easier to run by kids in h.s same as duke.. I never saw duke go down so easy and for being a smaller back he sure did a better job at running through people.. I'm probably the only one that thinks cook is overrated as a rb..

I'm the biggest cook fan around. He not starting over duke, c'mon.. That's crazy talk, lol...

I will say he is better than I expected at blitz pickup also. Much better at squaring up and delivering an initial punch. That alone would get him on the field before yearby who at 180 probably would have the size his first year and would be asking a lot of him.

I want cook because having that home run threat as a backup just makes your offense that much more potent, instead of waiting for duke to catch his breathe and giving the defense a break of that threat, cook would come in and if he gets a crease he is gone. We get back to being elite when we make that happen.

That's what makes fsu a b$&@ to handle, they put in Williams and the pressure is still on because kid is coming in to make a name for himself and he is running hard as he'll against a tired D. Crawford is a good utility player and has heart and will do anything for team whether block, play specials like a demon, etc. but he doesn't do that.

We need to get back to when Portia was done, gore came in and all the fans knew what was up, that type of stuff keeps fans in the seats, and hopefully keeps us in games vs duke

Again I add, that's a cut up of all the runs from state game, when u watch duke or yearby or whoever I'm sure it's a HIGHLIGHT tape with negative runs excluded. When Cook highlight tape comes out those runs won't be there, lol.

Good ******* grief Pete. So now that you are off the ridiculous Ermon Lane tip you were on, now Cook is going to start over Duke if he comes here?

Only way that happens is if Dukes injury gives him complications. Straight up it wouldn't even be close....this season anyway.

Advertisement
I want cook because having that home run threat as a backup just makes your offense that much more potent, instead of waiting for duke to catch his breathe and giving the defense a break of that threat, cook would come in and if he gets a crease he is gone. We get back to being elite when we make that happen.

+1. If Cook is that guy described above, great. If not, we need to find out who it is. IMO, it's what's missing from our O. We rarely keep pressure on opposing D's.

Let me continue. Obviously you know WAY more about these guys so I'm genuinely curious. To me Cook is an elite athlete playing running back. That's great.....get all those types you can. Don't get me wrong I would go nuts if we land him. I just don't see him having the instant impact Duke did on the ground, but he will probably be used in some special packages to showcase his skills. Yearby to me looks like a kid that gets by because he has elite vision and short area burst. Now picture him down the road with some weight on him. I like the thought of that since speed isn't his game.

Obviously Cook can be great but its going to take time at RB. Luckily we don't need either right away to dominate.

Yearby is a great back. Faster than I thought. Better than I thought.

But the one thing that still separates Cook from Yearby is size. It's one thing to be short. Yearby is short and slight, with narrow shoulders and a thin frame. Cook outweighed Yearby by 17 pounds at the Opening and looks even heavier now.

Size matters, especially between the tackles. We saw that this year with Duke. Yearby makes his living between the tackles. I have some concerns about how that style will translate against bigger/stronger/faster players.

Physical freaks like Cook tend to make an impact early. Look at all the different ways Coley scored for us this year. Cook will score running, receiving and returning as a true freshman because he is that much more talented than everyone else.

Yoy say that "Cook is an athlete playing RB." I disagree. Sure, Yearby is the more natural back. But look at the run at 1:51 and tell me Cook is not a natural runner. It bears repeating that Cook has been the most productive back in South Florida the past two years. He rushed for 1,940 yards (11 ypc) and 34 TDs this season against the toughest schedule in America. That's historic-type production.

To me, Yearby is Tracy Howard. Pure at his position, smooth, tough, instinctual. Cook is Patrick Peterson. I'd love to have both, but one has a higher upside than the other.

Let me continue. Obviously you know WAY more about these guys so I'm genuinely curious. To me Cook is an elite athlete playing running back. That's great.....get all those types you can. Don't get me wrong I would go nuts if we land him. I just don't see him having the instant impact Duke did on the ground, but he will probably be used in some special packages to showcase his skills. Yearby to me looks like a kid that gets by because he has elite vision and short area burst. Now picture him down the road with some weight on him. I like the thought of that since speed isn't his game.

Obviously Cook can be great but its going to take time at RB. Luckily we don't need either right away to dominate.

But the one thing that still separates Cook from Yearby is size. It's one thing to be short. Yearby is short and slight, with narrow shoulders and a thin frame. Cook outweighed Yearby by 17 pounds at the Opening and looks even heavier now.

Size matters, especially between the tackles. We saw that this year with Duke. Yearby makes his living between the tackles. I have some concerns about how that style will translate against bigger/stronger/faster players.

Physical freaks like Cook tend to make an impact early. Look at all the different ways Coley scored for us this year. Cook will score running, receiving and returning as a true freshman because he is that much more talented than everyone else.

Yoy say that "Cook is an athlete playing RB." I disagree. Sure, Yearby is the more natural back. But look at the run at 1:51 and tell me Cook is not a natural runner. It bears repeating that Cook has been the most productive back in South Florida the past two years. He rushed for 1,940 yards (11 ypc) and 34 TDs this season against the toughest schedule in America. That's historic-type production.

To me, Yearby is Tracy Howard. Pure at his position, smooth, tough, instinctual. Cook is Patrick Peterson. I'd love to have both, but one has a higher upside than the other.

Good post brother.

I shouldn clarify when I say "athlete playing running back" I just mean compared to Yearby and Duke. Yearby makes cuts without even thinking about it. Cook uses his athleticism (it seems to me thats why I ask you) in between the tackles and his size helps him at the high school level. Trust me when I say Cook has as much upside as any guy I've seen lately but I don't think he's as ready to make an impact as some think. Yearby is in the same boat because of his size.

Two very different guys IMO but both I expect big things from, just not next year.

JMO though.

Advertisement

DAM. I didnt know he almost got 2k yards, That is while playing PART TIME running back. Dude couldve gotten close to Gore record if he got the touches. Kid is the freaking truth man. dam.

Another stat to boggle the mind I read in herald a couple days ago :

Yearby finished his career with 5,593 yards and 68 touchdowns, second-most behind only Bobby Washington in Miami-Dade history. Cook, who had 322 fewer carries than Yearby (721), finishes with 4,267 yards and 64 touchdowns. Together, though, they’re the most prolific duo ever in Dade, and quite possibly the state, too.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/12/15/3818741/mission-accomplished-for-running.html#morer

if cook comes here next year.
1. Duke.
2. Yearby
3. cook - lacks the vision of the other 2 rb's, vision is the most important skill for a rb to have and duke is lightyears ahead of cook in that skill.

If Cook comes he would have the edge over Yearby because of his injury. Both will EE but if both Duke and Yearby sit out the spring because of their injuries Cook will have a chance to shine. Duke no doubt gets his spot back come fall but Yearby will be behind Cook for sure.

DAM. I didnt know he almost got 2k yards, That is while playing PART TIME running back. Dude couldve gotten close to Gore record if he got the touches. Kid is the freaking truth man. dam.

Yearby finished his career with 5,593 yards and 68 touchdowns, second-most behind only Bobby Washington in Miami-Dade history. Cook, who had 322 fewer carries than Yearby (721), finishes with 4,267 yards and 64 touchdowns. Together, though, they’re the most prolific duo ever in Dade, and quite possibly the state, too.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/12/15/3818741/mission-accomplished-for-running.html#morer

Yea his numbers are ******* insane.

That's why I never got the 'Cook isn't a pure RB' arguments. It's really the first time I've actually seen an athlete diminished for being so **** good at so many other positions on the field. Cook doesn't split carrier because he's not a 'pure RB' or any of that nonsense. The guy has limited carries because they use him all over the field. Even with almost 400 less carries he's only behind Yearby in TD's by 4. He plays Slot, corner, safety, return units, etc. He literally never came out the game and put up that kind of production going both ways. Now imagine what he'd have done with more carries and only carrying a burden on offense, anyone else think 2300 wouldn't be in reach? I think people feel as if they say Cook has a higher ceiling or is better than its a knock on Yearby but it really isn't. Yearby is **** good and can start for a lot of teams around the country, it's just that Cook is rare. No shame in that.

The kid is a freak. He measured in at 196 at the opening and ran a laser timed 4.46. That dude hasn't even touched a college program yet, he'll be in the low 4.3's easy while carrying about 215 at a mimimum. Freaks like that don't come along very often. That's not a knock on Yearby, Sony, or anyone else, Cook is just that freakish. And I'm gonna kill my **** self if he ends up a Nole, at least if he's at Miami we won't have to play his *** LOL.

Last edited:
Advertisement

520.gif

Killa, I will ******* puke if he goes to FSU.

If we can't get him, I will, for the first time, pray for a recruit to pick UiF.

Y'all have to remember that Pete is still a pretty young guy. Hasn't experienced too much yet. Whenever something new and shiny comes along, he assumes it will be better than what's tried and true. He's the goods when it comes to providing news, but take his evaluations with a grain of salt

Advertisement

Yea his numbers are ****ing insane.

That's why I never got the 'Cook isn't a pure RB' arguments. It's really the first time I've actually seen an athlete diminished for being so **** good at so many other positions on the field. Cook doesn't split carrier because he's not a 'pure RB' or any of that nonsense. The guy has limited carries because they use him all over the field. Even with almost 400 less carries he's only behind Yearby in TD's by 4. He plays Slot, corner, safety, return units, etc. He literally never came out the game and put up that kind of production going both ways. Now imagine what he'd have done with more carries and only carrying a burden on offense, anyone else think 2300 wouldn't be in reach? I think people feel as if they say Cook has a higher ceiling or is better than its a knock on Yearby but it really isn't. Yearby is **** good and can start for a lot of teams around the country, it's just that Cook is rare. No shame in that.

The kid is a freak. He measured in at 196 at the opening and ran a laser timed 4.46. That dude hasn't even touched a college program yet, he'll be in the low 4.3's easy while carrying about 215 at a mimimum. Freaks like that don't come along very often. That's not a knock on Yearby, Sony, or anyone else, Cook is just that freakish. And I'm gonna kill my **** self if he ends up a Nole, at least if he's at Miami we won't have to play his *** LOL.

I dont get it either, but then again this board has a way of turning when a guy is committed or not. If someone wants some lulz go bump some early dalvin vs. Yearby threads BEFORE Yearby flipped. Guys were literally laughing at FSU for getting Yearby at one point last year. Even though he was committed I kept the same stance, liked Yearby and probably unfair but playing with a guy like cook the comparisons just happen. He is a really good back but Cook is better. People take that as a slight though. Its not, and Yearby really impressed me this year and improved so he has always had my respect.

When looking at Cook numbers they only include rushing TDs, so they probably miss out on 5-10 additional that he accumulated (receiving, pick sixes, returns, etc. )

If we can't get him, I will, for the first time, pray for a recruit to pick UiF.

Same dude. I'm ******* disgusted, especially if they also add Lane and Rudolph as has been rumored.

I am in the same boat as you. If he ain't coming to UF I'm praying for Miami or any other team we don't play. I couldn't take it otherwise, that will make it at least bearable.

Same dude. I'm ******* disgusted, especially if they also add Lane and Rudolph as has been rumored.

I am in the same boat as you. If he ain't coming to UF I'm praying for Miami or any other team we don't play. I couldn't take it otherwise, that will make it at least bearable.

We've got mother****ers on this board rooting for FSU in the championship game. Never mind the fact it only helps them land elite prospects in others backyards.

We've got mother****ers on this board rooting for FSU in the championship game. Never mind the fact it only helps them land elite prospects in others backyards.

You can't be serious. What Cane would root for ******* FSU? To win a national title???

Advertisement
Back