Construction has started for the IPF

Any news? Photos?

According to Christy Cabrera Chironos they have begun staging the area for construction.

i am not being overly critical and at the risk of sounding ignorant I don't understand why it took 2 months since the groundbreaking to begin staging the area for construction. was there a big step in between that took two months or however many weeks its been?

It's taking way too much time. I don't feel good about this at all.

While I tend to agree with you, that's because I've seen decades worth of Miami "construction" projects go over time and over budget.

As for the earlier poster, most guys don't understand that "groundbreaking" is a ceremonial effort, and has little to do with whether the necessary permits have already been secured, etc.

I remember the "groundbreaking" for the Ryder Center on UM's campus. Hopefully, some of the older guys can understand that joke.

Advertisement
Any news? Photos?

According to Christy Cabrera Chironos they have begun staging the area for construction.

i am not being overly critical and at the risk of sounding ignorant I don't understand why it took 2 months since the groundbreaking to begin staging the area for construction. was there a big step in between that took two months or however many weeks its been?

While I tend to agree with you, that's because I've seen decades worth of Miami "construction" projects go over time and over budget.

As for the earlier poster, most guys don't understand that "groundbreaking" is a ceremonial effort, and has little to do with whether the necessary permits have already been secured, etc.

I remember the "groundbreaking" for the Ryder Center on UM's campus. Hopefully, some of the older guys can understand that joke.

It's raining pretty hard today. If they had started construction earlier we might be able to at least practice with some sort of shelter.

It's raining pretty hard today. If they had started construction earlier we might be able to at least practice with some sort of shelter.

The should move to the Lowe Art Museum. That place is pretty big and empty.

Advertisement
Any news? Photos?

lol, now you're a construction expert?

you said the same **** thing about Hard Rock not being ready, and of course you were wrong.

Any news? Photos?

Being a totally uninformed outsider, I would guess that it was a holdup on permits, blue prints, etc.

A hold up on the blueprints?

Wow. You really are totally uninformed, those were finished long ago.

Any news? Photos?

you said the same **** thing about Hard Rock not being ready, and of course you were wrong.

Will you at least acknowledge that contingency plans to move to Orlando were in place, and that the Dolphins played a pre-season game in Orlando?

Let's not distort history. There was a very real chance that Hard Rock renovations would not be done on time.

What all the doom and gloom crybabies don't realize is that a lot of work for this project is taking place offsite. Once the move everything to Greentree, it will go up pretty fast.

There's no permitting issue (they never would have even broken ground ceremonially, as the school literally has a contractual agreement with the city that prevents that)

There's almost certainly no major delay, you just won't see a lot of incremental progress. When they put it together on-site, it won't take long at all

Advertisement

Will you at least acknowledge that contingency plans to move to Orlando were in place, and that the Dolphins played a pre-season game in Orlando?

Let's not distort history. There was a very real chance that Hard Rock renovations would not be done on time.

But that's not unusual for major construction projects. There doesn't become a sense of urgency until deadlines near.

And they got it done with a few weeks to spare.

My buddy who works for Miami's AD told me they needed an answer from the Dolphins on July 1 if the stadium would be ready, otherwise they'd look at contingency plans. The Dolphins guaranteed it would be done by our game, and it was.

But that's not unusual for major construction projects. There doesn't become a sense of urgency until deadlines near.

And they got it done with a few weeks to spare.

My buddy who works for Miami's AD told me they needed an answer from the Dolphins on July 1 if the stadium would be ready, otherwise they'd look at contingency plans. The Dolphins guaranteed it would be done by our game, and it was.

"Major construction projects"?

This was a stadium renovation that was planned out 2 years in advance. The Dolphins knew EXACTLY what they needed to do in each off-season to get the project done. There were no issues with "Coral Gables" or "the master plan", the work was done on Dolphins Stadium property with very little interference from any city or county.

The fact remains that nearly every road or construction project in Miami goes over time and budget. And, yes, some of it is an "inconsistency" in the "sense of urgency".

Nobody cares about a guarantee from the Dolphins. The fact that it "came true" is blind luck on the part of the stadium ownership & management. There are no guarantees when it comes to construction, and if any sort of hurricane activity had postponed the construction, that "guarantee" would have been worthless.

And don't lie about "a few weeks to spare". For our game, MAYBE, but not for the Dolphins pre-season games, which were NEVER supposed to be moved under the original construction timeline.

Look, in the final analysis, I'm not the guy who made the plans or promises. But if you had a plan, and you know that both an NFL and college team have games that cannot be rescheduled, then you have to have a "sense of urgency" from Day 1.

And that's just something you don't see in South Florida construction.

This was a stadium renovation that was planned out 2 years in advance. The Dolphins knew EXACTLY what they needed to do in each off-season to get the project done. There were no issues with "Coral Gables" or "the master plan", the work was done on Dolphins Stadium property with very little interference from any city or county.

The fact remains that nearly every road or construction project in Miami goes over time and budget. And, yes, some of it is an "inconsistency" in the "sense of urgency".

Nobody cares about a guarantee from the Dolphins. The fact that it "came true" is blind luck on the part of the stadium ownership & management. There are no guarantees when it comes to construction, and if any sort of hurricane activity had postponed the construction, that "guarantee" would have been worthless.

And don't lie about "a few weeks to spare". For our game, MAYBE, but not for the Dolphins pre-season games, which were NEVER supposed to be moved under the original construction timeline.

Look, in the final analysis, I'm not the guy who made the plans or promises. But if you had a plan, and you know that both an NFL and college team have games that cannot be rescheduled, then you have to have a "sense of urgency" from Day 1.

Do you have any expertise on this topic or are you just blowing smoke?

Do you have any expertise on this topic or are you just blowing smoke?

Ooooh, you're so impressive. Yeah, I know a ton about another recent off-season renovation of a Florida sports facility even bigger than Joe Robbie Stadium. That finished on-budget and under-time. Not to mention all the time when I've lived in South Florida and seen the construction for myself.

Advertisement
Any news? Photos?

You're a dumb fcking liar. I was one of the 3 guys who was assuring all the sissies that Hard Rock would be finished on time.

And you're incredibly dull if you can't see what's going on here with this discussion. Only thing worse than a ****** is a lying ******.

Chise is right here.

He was mocking all the doom and gloom construction experts saying HR wouldn't be ready. I, along with a few others, were also saying the that it would be ready.

We had all kinds of "experts" trying to stir up panic, posting about how it wasn't going to be ready. Only a direct devastating hurricane hit would have stopped it from being ready.

Chise is right here.

He was mocking all the doom and gloom construction experts saying HR wouldn't be ready. I, along with a few others, were also saying the that it would be ready.

We had all kinds of "experts" trying to stir up panic, posting about how it wasn't going to be ready. Only a direct devastating hurricane hit would have stopped it from being ready.

See, those are fair points to make. But keep in mind, Hurricane Andrew hit Miami in August. You can't rule that out of the equation, or use hindsight to justify that everything turned out OK.

As the one poster points out, Miami construction often struggles with a "lack of urgency" at the outset of projects. When you put that together with the POSSIBILITY (and past history) of a devastating August hurricane, you have to at least consider the chance that the construction will not be done on time.

I have seen more than one sporting facility tear-down/renovation where the construction equipment was present and (almost) ready to go on the last day the facility was in use. "Urgency" is needed, but somehow this is a rare commodity in SoFla construction.

Advertisement
The Hard Rock renovation was privately funded? At least I think it was. They seemed to hop on it, working at night and overtime, to get it done on time, as the deadline approached. There was a lot of money on the line to get it done. I'm not sure this will have that kind of pressure to get it done, since it's funded by the university.

The Hard Rock renovation was privately funded? At least I think it was. They seemed to hop on it, working at night and overtime, to get it done on time, as the deadline approached. There was a lot of money on the line to get it done. I'm not sure this will have that kind of pressure to get it done, since it's funded by the university.

I'm not sure if you understand the definition of privately-funded.

Chise is right here.

See, those are fair points to make. But keep in mind, Hurricane Andrew hit Miami in August. You can't rule that out of the equation, or use hindsight to justify that everything turned out OK.

As the one poster points out, Miami construction often struggles with a "lack of urgency" at the outset of projects. When you put that together with the POSSIBILITY (and past history) of a devastating August hurricane, you have to at least consider the chance that the construction will not be done on time.

I have seen more than one sporting facility tear-down/renovation where the construction equipment was present and (almost) ready to go on the last day the facility was in use. "Urgency" is needed, but somehow this is a rare commodity in SoFla construction.

No reasonable person discounts the possibility of a hurricane. All bets are off in case that happens. Construction/building contracts have force majeure clauses that take this into account.

Reasonable posters were saying that unless there's a hurricane, it would be finished on time. You can't account for an act of God because the extent of damage is unpredictable.

The University of Miami is a private institution. The IPF is privately funded.

Advertisement
Back