Construction has started for the IPF

The Hard Rock renovation was privately funded? At least I think it was. They seemed to hop on it, working at night and overtime, to get it done on time, as the deadline approached. There was a lot of money on the line to get it done. I'm not sure this will have that kind of pressure to get it done, since it's funded by the university.

The University of Miami is a private institution. The IPF is privately funded.

i meant that Ross had a personal stake in getting it done or HE would lose money, so he pushed hard to get it completed. I know UM is private, but it's still an institution, so there won't be a personal interest in the completion like there was with Hard Tock. No money will be lost, unless there are cost overruns.

Advertisement
You're a dumb fcking liar. I was one of the 3 guys who was assuring all the sissies that Hard Rock would be finished on time.

And you're incredibly dull if you can't see what's going on here with this discussion. Only thing worse than a ****** is a lying ******.

and the only thing worse than that is someone who is quick to insult another poster. just because you got band from another message board, doesn't mean you have to spew hate on this one. you can reform [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION].

yet one of the default talking points when someone (usually on their way out of the area after losing at life here) wants to ***** about the region is how it's sooooooooo overdeveloped.

So much truth in above statement.

Even with canes fans you hear this shīt. They can't hack it here, or just don't like the area, and afterwards never fail to take a dump on the area, whether asked or not. Sound exactly just like gaturd fans when they shīt on S. Florida.

It's a big country, some of us have chosen not to spend a large portion our lives parked in traffic. I don't mind losing that part of life. Glad to see some still like the atmosphere, but let's not over estimate South Florida's importance.

Don't get me wrong, it's the hard-core that remains there and supports the team that keeps memories of past greatness and future potential alive. I thank you for that.

No need for thanks or sympathy, Chuckles. I have a real good life here.

Sorry to hear you couldn't hack it.

You sound triggered. I hacked it for over 50 years, like I said it's a big country and I made a different choice. Like many others I retired elsewhere. Happy you have a good life there. And you have my thanks and my sympathy.

Advertisement
so..

1. The current untouched area will all be IPF, right?
2. I'm guessing the grounds currently being bulldozed is getting some fresh playing surface? Grass or turf?

Interesting question. They hadn't mentioned anything about switching from grass to turf but it would look really **** clean if they did.

I hope they keep the natural grass for the IPF. That's what we play on the most.

I hope they make it a convertible IPF, or at least build a replica of the Sun so the grass can grow

It's this new process called Fauxtosynthesis...it's huge in Canada

yet one of the default talking points when someone (usually on their way out of the area after losing at life here) wants to ***** about the region is how it's sooooooooo overdeveloped.

Even with canes fans you hear this shīt. They can't hack it here, or just don't like the area, and afterwards never fail to take a dump on the area, whether asked or not. Sound exactly just like gaturd fans when they shīt on S. Florida.

It's a big country, some of us have chosen not to spend a large portion our lives parked in traffic. I don't mind losing that part of life. Glad to see some still like the atmosphere, but let's not over estimate South Florida's importance.

Don't get me wrong, it's the hard-core that remains there and supports the team that keeps memories of past greatness and future potential alive. I thank you for that.

If you're shooting to be recognized as a first class *******, you don't have to try so hard. You've already arrived!

Folks who don't live there, can't hack it?

What? You got your own crack corner? Got folding money and everything?

Wishing for a big **** and becoming one is two different things.

If you're shooting to be recognized as a first class *******, you don't have to try so hard. You've already arrived!

Folks who don't live there, can't hack it?

What? You got your own crack corner? Got folding money and everything?

Wishing for a big **** and becoming one is two different things.

Ok, johhny reb, whatever you say

You sound triggered. I hacked it for over 50 years, like I said it's a big country and I made a different choice. Like many others I retired elsewhere. Happy you have a good life there. And you have my thanks and my sympathy.

My friend, you're the one that dug up a 3 month old post from the back pages, just so you could throw shade at south Florida.

You're the triggered one, going to all that trouble, I just responded in kind.

Advertisement
Chise is right here.

He was mocking all the doom and gloom construction experts saying HR wouldn't be ready. I, along with a few others, were also saying the that it would be ready.

We had all kinds of "experts" trying to stir up panic, posting about how it wasn't going to be ready. Only a direct devastating hurricane hit would have stopped it from being ready.

See, those are fair points to make. But keep in mind, Hurricane Andrew hit Miami in August. You can't rule that out of the equation, or use hindsight to justify that everything turned out OK.

As the one poster points out, Miami construction often struggles with a "lack of urgency" at the outset of projects. When you put that together with the POSSIBILITY (and past history) of a devastating August hurricane, you have to at least consider the chance that the construction will not be done on time.

I have seen more than one sporting facility tear-down/renovation where the construction equipment was present and (almost) ready to go on the last day the facility was in use. "Urgency" is needed, but somehow this is a rare commodity in SoFla construction.

No reasonable person discounts the possibility of a hurricane. All bets are off in case that happens. Construction/building contracts have force majeure clauses that take this into account.

Reasonable posters were saying that unless there's a hurricane, it would be finished on time. You can't account for an act of God because the extent of damage is unpredictable.

But you UNDERSTAND the situation. If you have a South Florida construction schedule that runs from January through August, and you "lack urgency" at the "beginning of the project", you are asking for trouble. I know you get that concept, you're a bright guy.

And, again, there are two additional factors during the summertime. One is that you cannot reschedule, you either have to play there or else play in another location. And if another location is needed, even as a fallback, you can't wait until the last minute to make THOSE arrangements.

Stop pretending that the construction wasn't a ****e show. The construction managers and contractors d!cked around at the beginning when there was very little threat of rain, heat, or hurricanes, and then left themselves scrambling when the weather element was at its most brutal and unpredictable.

I have no doubt that, if you want to pay enough, you can find laborers to work the third construction shift in Florida. But that's just a way to compensate for poor planning and execution in the early phases.

I have no idea what the construction workers did or didn't do at the beginning of the construction phase, whether they dīcked around or not at the beginning.

I do know that it was a tight timeline from the go, either way.

Based on my understanding of the situation, when people started to panic on here about it not being ready, I was fairly comfortable in saying that it would be ready, barring a hurricane. And it was.

I have no idea what the construction workers did or didn't do at the beginning of the construction phase, whether they dīcked around or not at the beginning.

Based on my understanding of the situation, when people started to panic on here about it not being ready, I was fairly comfortable in saying that it would be ready, barring a hurricane. And it was.

But you are mathematically capable of extrapolating that, on an 7 month construction project, if the crew is working overtime and around the clock during the final 3 months it is because they fell behind in the first 3 months, right?

Come on, man, no need to dig your heels in. We can all appreciate your optimism that the job would eventually get done. But just because you knew how Titanic was going to end doesn't mean that there was no drama along the way.

Advertisement

But you are mathematically capable of extrapolating that, on an 7 month construction project, if the crew is working overtime and around the clock during the final 3 months it is because they fell behind in the first 3 months, right?

Come on, man, no need to dig your heels in. We can all appreciate your optimism that the job would eventually get done. But just because you knew how Titanic was going to end doesn't mean that there was no drama along the way.

How am I digging my heels in? It's really irrelevant that some people think that they were behind schedule, because from my perspective that wasn't a factor. First of all, I don't know for a fact whether they were or weren't behind schedule the first few months, and secondly it didn't change my interpretation of what was going to happen either way.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just stating what my thought process was.

I predicted it would be ready and it was. I was correct.

The real question is why some people were either sure or very nervous about it not being ready, but several of us interpreted the situation correctly and were fairly confident that it would be ready.

How am I digging my heels in? It's really irrelevant that some people think that they were behind schedule, because from my perspective that wasn't a factor. First of all, I don't know for a fact whether they were or weren't behind schedule the first few months, and secondly it didn't change my interpretation of what was going to happen either way.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just stating what my thought process was.

I predicted it would be ready and it was. I was correct.

The real question is why some people were either sure or very nervous about it not being ready, but several of us interpreted the situation correctly and were fairly confident that it would be ready.

Give me a break.

Pretend that you sold your house because you are moving to a newly constructed house. You have to be out of your house by September 1st, and then you find out that nothing has happened with your new house for the first 3 months they were supposed to be working on it. Sure, you can choose to spend more money and have the construction crew work around the clock, but you are also worried that if a hurricane is in the Atlantic, you will not be able to get homeowners insurance, and the house may not be finished. Sure, you can rent a hotel for a month, but you have to make the reservation now.

Look, don't give yourself a cramp patting yourself on the back for "interpreting the situation correctly". Confidence is one thing, but it's well-known that extraordinary efforts were required to finish the project, and one preseason Dolphins game was moved that was never supposed to be moved.

And I realize that you weren't writing the check, so maybe you don't care that much.

Stop confusing the issue with non-responsive stuff like "UM needed an answer from the Dolphins" when it was the Dolphins themselves who had to move a game. That was never intended, yet it happened. And there were absolutely no "acts of God" which caused THAT.

I'm happy that the stadium was ready for UM to play the games we had on our schedule, but these are the risks we take as a second-class tenant in someone else's building.

I'm not even sure what you are arguing.

Some of us said that we were pretty sure it would be ready, and we were right. Based on a correct interpretation of the communications coming from the school and Dolphins management.

Some of us were panicky and nervous, predicting that it wouldn't be ready, and they were wrong. They misinterpreted what was being communicated.

Case closed.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back