MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

OK, let me ask you if THIS paragraph reads any better for Chad Swofford's resume:

In 2003, Chad Swofford worked for less than one year as a Brand Management Intern for Nike. In October 2003, the ACC extended a single invitation for a school to join the ACC as a new member. That invitation was extended to Boston College University ("Boston College"). Shortly thereafter, Swofford's son, Chad Swofford, was offered a job working as Assistant Director of Sports Marketing in the Boston College Athletic Department.

Is that any better for the Swoffords or the ACC? How did Chad go from interning to "Assistant Director of Sports Marketing" for a P5 school?

I think my amended paragraph is FAR WORSE than the original one, at least for the ACC, because it now looks like Chad's ENTIRE CAREER is the product of nepotism, not just his time at Raycom.

View attachment 281452

Your paragraph is far better.

I’m not caping for the ACC at all, I just did notice that a lot of the language they used is sloppy.

Advertisement
Your paragraph is far better.

I’m not caping for the ACC at all, I just did notice that a lot of the language they used is sloppy.

I agree with you on that, some of the wording is sloppy. The HEADERS are great, though... :LOL:

Yeah, I'm not sure how someone didn't fact-check certain assertions which had a verifiable factual nature. Took me 5 seconds on LinkedIn.

The least surprising thing about this entire deal with Swofford is that he has a kid named Chad. I bet his others sons are Todd and Thatcher.

Don't forget about Swofford's grandson, Spaulding...

1706797078656.png

Advertisement
The money NOT RECEIVED by ACC members due to the Raycom "deal" ... that $82 million dollars per year ... if that has been the case since the new Raycom deal was signed in 2010 ... that is 14 years * $82 million = $1.15 billion dollars NOT received by ACC conference members due to Sowfford's "nepotism" deal with junior. Grand larceny? Time to dissolve the ACC due to negligence? Just give everybody up to 2 years to find a new home.
If this is true, my question is... how the **** did it go for sooo long with so many schools not receiving money, and nobody raising ****? TF?!

If this is true, my question is... how the **** did it go for sooo long with so many schools not receiving money, and nobody raising ****? TF?!

First, we "got" money, just not as much as we coulda/woulda/shoulda gotten.

Second, when our money was "comparable" to Big 10/SEC money, people didn't really notice. Only when everyone else is getting paid MUCH more, and then ESPN and the ACC are telling us that they don't have a square to spare...

I've complained about Raycom for a long time. I never liked those cracker-*** SEC or ACC broadcasts, and now we realize they were the Don King to our Mike Tyson.

OK, let me ask you if THIS paragraph reads any better for Chad Swofford's resume:

In 2003, Chad Swofford worked for less than one year as a Brand Management Intern for Nike. In October 2003, the ACC extended a single invitation for a school to join the ACC as a new member. That invitation was extended to Boston College University ("Boston College"). Shortly thereafter, Swofford's son, Chad Swofford, was offered a job working as Assistant Director of Sports Marketing in the Boston College Athletic Department.

Is that any better for the Swoffords or the ACC? How did Chad go from interning to "Assistant Director of Sports Marketing" for a P5 school?

I think my amended paragraph is FAR WORSE than the original one, at least for the ACC, because it now looks like Chad's ENTIRE CAREER is the product of nepotism, not just his time at Raycom.

View attachment 281452
The whole thing seems dirty, but in all fairness, "Assistant Director" at a P5 school is not remotely a high title. My first job after an internship was as an Assistant Director at UM; it pays hardly anything and they work you 50-60/hours a week, often including nights and weekends because of games. When you have seasons crossing (fall/winter and winter/spring), it can be brutal. Worked 11 games in 9 days once, plus regular work days.

Now the Raycom stuff, that is far more questionable with the timing and clear nepotism.

Advertisement
The conference and schools DID receive money .... but $82 million dollars per year were basically "skimmed" off the top in order to enable Raycom and Swofford's son to participate in the "ACC Media" program and keep Raycom Sports alive and participating.

The whole thing seems dirty, but in all fairness, "Assistant Director" at a P5 school is not remotely a high title. My first job after an internship was as an Assistant Director at UM; it pays hardly anything and they work you 50-60/hours a week, often including nights and weekends because of games. When you have seasons crossing (fall/winter and winter/spring), it can be brutal. Worked 11 games in 9 days once, plus regular work days.

Now the Raycom stuff, that is far more questionable with the timing and clear nepotism.

I think that you're kind of missing the point here. I am not factually analyzing Chad Swofford's life, his work ethic, or his accomplishments. There are many "nepo babies" (terrible term) that are talented and do very well at their own jobs.

The issue is about the IMPLICATIONS here. That within months of Boston College getting the golden ticket to leave the dying Big East, they hired the son of the ACC Commissioner. It's not like BC is a natural fit, the Swoffords are from North Carolina and Chad was interning in Oregon. Suddenly, he's perfect for the BC job?

The entire thing looks bad. And while anyone can dismiss "one fact", when you add up all the facts, the pattern starts to look shocking and disturbing.

All I was doing was pointing out to @RightSaidFred that while one paragraph of the F$U complaint may have been inaccurate, it actually has an EVEN WORSE impact when it is rewritten to be more accurate.

Chad Swofford may be a helluva guy and a hard worker, but I don't think that should excuse 24 years of misconduct by his dad.

The conference and schools DID receive money .... but $82 million dollars per year were basically "skimmed" off the top in order to enable Raycom and Swofford's son to participate in the "ACC Media" program and keep Raycom Sports alive and participating.

"Skimmed" is SUCH a brutal and accurate term to use here.

First, we "got" money, just not as much as we coulda/woulda/shoulda gotten.

Second, when our money was "comparable" to Big 10/SEC money, people didn't really notice. Only when everyone else is getting paid MUCH more, and then ESPN and the ACC are telling us that they don't have a square to spare...

I've complained about Raycom for a long time. I never liked those cracker-*** SEC or ACC broadcasts, and now we realize they were the Don King to our Mike Tyson.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I know we got money. What I was trying to say was that how did no one at any of the ACC schools not check to see if we were getting our fair share of the Raycom money. That's crazy to me.

Advertisement
Again, I know we got money, it's just crazy to me, that nobody was paying attention to the comings (pause) and goings, of all of the money, that we were supposed to be getting.

Again, I know we got money, it's just crazy to me, that nobody was paying attention to the comings (pause) and goings, of all of the money, that we were supposed to be getting.
What basically happened is that Raycom was “inserted” as another layer in the media deal that had, for two years, been exclusively ESPN. That had a cost in lost revenue - that was used to make the Raycom/ESPN deal work. Raycom should have died a natural death but, due to Swofford and his “mixed” loyalties, Raymon was essentially subsidized by the ACC conference members so Swoffords son would have a lucrative job.

What basically happened is that Raycom was “inserted” as another layer in the media deal that had, for two years, been exclusively ESPN. That had a cost in lost revenue - that was used to make the Raycom/ESPN deal work. Raycom should have died a natural death but, due to Swofford and his “mixed” loyalties, Raymon was essentially subsidized by the ACC conference members so Swoffords son would have a lucrative job.
OK that makes sense.

Advertisement
I'd bet that

Dad couldn't get a better deal for Chad than Asst Dir of Sports Marketing at BC? Those types of jobs pay next to nothing.
It was resume fodder for the big jump to Director of Business Development at Raycom.

I think that you're kind of missing the point here. I am not factually analyzing Chad Swofford's life, his work ethic, or his accomplishments. There are many "nepo babies" (terrible term) that are talented and do very well at their own jobs.

The issue is about the IMPLICATIONS here. That within months of Boston College getting the golden ticket to leave the dying Big East, they hired the son of the ACC Commissioner. It's not like BC is a natural fit, the Swoffords are from North Carolina and Chad was interning in Oregon. Suddenly, he's perfect for the BC job?

The entire thing looks bad. And while anyone can dismiss "one fact", when you add up all the facts, the pattern starts to look shocking and disturbing.

All I was doing was pointing out to @RightSaidFred that while one paragraph of the F$U complaint may have been inaccurate, it actually has an EVEN WORSE impact when it is rewritten to be more accurate.

Chad Swofford may be a helluva guy and a hard worker, but I don't think that should excuse 24 years of misconduct by his dad.
I didn't miss the point. Totally agree with all of it. It all looks bad.

It may have been discussed previously but I believe the GOR is for home game broadcasts only.

Couldn't Miami (or FSU) leave for the B10 and just play all "away" games and/or neutral site games for a few years until the legal matters are resolved with the outside date being until 2027 when the ESPN option expires?

Play some games in Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville and if crafty enough "neutral or away" games at HR or FAU.

Advertisement
Back