MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

OK, after a lengthy consultation...

I think Miami should give the ACC exit notice IMMEDIATELY and offer to pay the FULL damages under the GOR.

We can negotiate the ACC Constitution exit fee amount (and Maryland did too).

Then, since we are too late to exit for the 2024-2025 season, we roll along as is for next year.

We then cut a check for the 2025-2026 and 2026-2027 seasons. The TWO seasons that are currently under contract with ESPN.

We also cut a check for the 2027-2036 years. Except, because there ARE NO 2027-2036 seasons yet, the check is for zero-point-zero.

Do it NOW, before ESPN exercises its option to pick up the 2027-2036 years.

View attachment 275349
View attachment 275350
This is a **** good point/idea.

I'm honestly asking here. I have no idea what the rules/the law is when it comes to this. But basically what you're saying that because ESPN hasn't opted in yet, technically.. there's nothing to buy out (yet)?

If this is the case, then why wouldn't they take this route?

Advertisement
Yeah, He is Traitor LeBastard's Boss (Meadowlark Media) and as in introduced by chubby as "The man who has made all the billion dollar deals" Yeah, Eight Ball Skipper snickered about his pulling the wool over "friend" Swofford. I'm sure they (Swofford/Skipper) are lawyer'ing up, because all the puff pieces ("Got it down from 2039 to 2036" - Swofford) and Skipper radio conversations mean they are deposition targets.

Interesting take on this from the general contract angle:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/fsu-has-nobody-to-blame-but-itself/ar-AA1lWKT5
Perhaps the track record speaks otherwise (or perhaps those he was negotiating with/against were just morons) but I personally find Skipper thoroughly unimpressive when discussing any of this stuff. Same with Samson. Perhaps that's why they're both now essentially reliant upon Dan LeBatard in their current career endeavors.

This is a **** good point/idea.

I'm honestly asking here. I have no idea what the rules/the law is when it comes to this. But basically what you're saying that because ESPN hasn't opted in yet, technically.. there's nothing to buy out (yet)?

If this is the case, then why wouldn't they take this route?

I'm not quite sure. It's worth investigating.

Couple of years of digging around and the answer was right in front of us all along...

Couple of years of digging around and the answer was right in front of us all along...

I would love to see espn try to argue the validity of their extension past 2027 in court

They basically would incriminate themselves on multiple basic contract law points

Including bylaws of the conference and schools to enter into such an agreement

Advertisement

Any idea why ESPN hasn't opted in? Why was there ever a need to wait? Seems pretty obvious they were getting the ACC at a ridiculously low price. I just don't understand why they delayed exercising it to begin with.

+ It is highly doubtful ESPN will exercise the option to extend as the most valuable program(s) might be gone so they would not want it even at the below market price agreed to in the media rights agreement. Let the ACC die on the vine.

I would love to see espn try to argue the validity of their extension past 2027 in court

They basically would incriminate themselves on multiple basic contract law points

Including bylaws of the conference and schools to enter into such an agreement

We transferred our rights to the ACC to do a deal with ESPN.

The ACC then sold those rights to ESPN for nine years longer than ESPN promised to pay us money.

When you actually put it into words, you realize how insane it sounds.

Why did WE not have an option for 2027? It's just staggering.

+ It is highly doubtful ESPN will exercise the option to extend as the most valuable program(s) might be gone so they would not want it even at the below market price agreed to in the media rights agreement. Let the ACC die on the vine.

And this is the most insane notion of all...

Because if ESPN did not renew in 2027...and the rights that the ACC sold to ESPN revert back to the ACC...then the ACC could just re-sell our rights to The CW.

Makes sense. Great outcome, right? Surely, the GOR is "irrevocable and ironclad", right?

I've said it for a while, both the original GOR and the extension to the GOR were terrible agreements that should never be enforced by a court.

Advertisement
And this is the most insane notion of all...

Because if ESPN did not renew in 2027...and the rights that the ACC sold to ESPN revert back to the ACC...then the ACC could just re-sell our rights to The CW.

Makes sense. Great outcome, right? Surely, the GOR is "irrevocable and ironclad", right?

I've said it for a while, both the original GOR and the extension to the GOR were terrible agreements that should never be enforced by a court.

I’d bet that before the CFB 2024 season kicks off fsu paves the way for a settlement, with behind the scenes support from Miami and Clemson

OK, after a lengthy consultation...

I think Miami should give the ACC exit notice IMMEDIATELY and offer to pay the FULL damages under the GOR.

We can negotiate the ACC Constitution exit fee amount (and Maryland did too).

Then, since we are too late to exit for the 2024-2025 season, we roll along as is for next year.

We then cut a check for the 2025-2026 and 2026-2027 seasons. The TWO seasons that are currently under contract with ESPN.

We also cut a check for the 2027-2036 years. Except, because there ARE NO 2027-2036 seasons yet, the check is for zero-point-zero.

Do it NOW, before ESPN exercises its option to pick up the 2027-2036 years.

View attachment 275349
View attachment 275350
I agree.
Like I said we can get out for $215M MAX today.
If we can negotiate exit fee down I think as low as $175-$150M…

We transferred our rights to the ACC to do a deal with ESPN.

The ACC then sold those rights to ESPN for nine years longer than ESPN promised to pay us money.

When you actually put it into words, you realize how insane it sounds.

Why did WE not have an option for 2027? It's just staggering.
That sounds like an illusory contract but that’s not my area of expertise.

Advertisement
WestCentralEast
UCLAOSUPenn State
USCMichiganRutgers
OregonNorthwesternMaryland
WashingtonIlllinoisMichigan St.
NebraskaIndianaFSU
MinnesotaPurdueUM
IowaWisconsin
I like their current strategy of you get like 3 protected games and the rest is a full on rotation. Makes it so we actually play everyone within like 4 years.

But anyway if we do go divisions with 20 teams you likely have to do 4 divisions of 5 teams probably. That way you have 4 in division games yearly. The you always play one of the other 3 divisions fully (that’d be 9 games). Then you can play 1 or 2 in another division (so can still have a permanent rival outside of division this way)

So kick MSU out of East. Minnesota and Iowa out of West. And like Wisconsin and Illinois out of Central to form its own division.

That sounds like an illusory contract but that’s not my area of expertise.

Or, you know, getting something for 9 years that you don't actually pay for. Bizarre...

1703634844707.png

Advertisement
No consideration for the new option? That should kill it.

From your lips to God's ears.

Goodness, it wasn't that long ago that we had CIS porsters telling us how the GOR extension offered consideration because it contained the words "for good and valuable consideration". Which is now turning out to be more worthless than a mess of pottage. By the way, what IS a mess of pottage?

@TheOriginalCane
Even better would ALSO be saying the GOR has a total value of $86M but a contractual length of 11 years if we exit for 2025 season. Therefore we pay $7.81M/yr. If you want a lump sum settlement we pay half. Lol

I really see us getting out for $175M if we are aggressive. Or just $138M immediately and $7.8M/yr. Worth it to me

WestCentralEast
UCLAOSUPenn State
USCMichiganRutgers
OregonNorthwesternMaryland
WashingtonIlllinoisMichigan St.
NebraskaIndianaFSU
MinnesotaPurdueUM
IowaWisconsin
Nah if they go 20 it will be 4 divisions of 5 or 2 of 10. With protected rivals not necessarily in their division

no way that works scheduling or championship wise

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back