MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Apple has a **** ton of cash to burn. Would be an interesting purchase.
Agreed. Like Amazon, they strangely haven't been super aggressive on this front (yet). Not sure if they're just being (overly?) cautious and/or waiting for the traditional competition for broadcast rights to burn themselves out. Maybe both.

Advertisement
Agreed. Like Amazon, they strangely haven't been super aggressive on this front (yet). Not sure if they're just being (overly?) cautious and/or waiting for the traditional competition for broadcast rights to burn themselves out. Maybe both.

I think Amazon is a bit gun shy...Things like their relatively abysmal Thursday Night NFL "broadcast"might be a reason.

I posted this a couple weeks ago. Iger wants to cement his legacy by finding a buyer for Disney. Disney says there is not much money in broadcasting games like Boston College v Syracuse, so they want to move to a direct subscription model. Basically pay per view. Apple was offering Pac12 20 million per team to stream games. So if Apple does buy Disney/ESPN, they might be willing to change the GOR and have a hybrid model. Acc network would have to go, but no one watches the acc network anyways.

Key problem stopping a deal would be anti trust concerns. Even though apple and Disney have distinct products and services, the Biden admin takes a dim view on mega corporate mergers. It would be tied up in court for years, with decent odds the merger would ultimately get denied. Blackrock is also looking at Disney, so Disney may have more than one interested buyer.

Advertisement
I posted this a couple weeks ago. Iger wants to cement his legacy by finding a buyer for Disney. Disney says there is not much money in broadcasting games like Boston College v Syracuse, so they want to move to a direct subscription model. Basically pay per view. Apple was offering Pac12 20 million per team to stream games. So if Apple does buy Disney/ESPN, they might be willing to change the GOR and have a hybrid model. Acc network would have to go, but no one watches the acc network anyways.

Key problem stopping a deal would be anti trust concerns. Even though apple and Disney have distinct products and services, the Biden admin takes a dim view on mega corporate mergers. It would be tied up in court for years, with decent odds the merger would ultimately get denied. Blackrock is also looking at Disney, so Disney may have more than one interested buyer.
Iger has been squawking like a school girl about ESPN and the entire broadcast model lately. He was very open and honest on his CNBC interview a few weeks ago when everyone was in Montana or Idaho (can't really remember). Clearly there are many things going on behind the scenes right now. But there's no way they let the SEC fall far behind the B1G in terms of TV rights and programming. It will obviously take some time to get everything figured out but I don't believe for a minute that ESPN will fall that far behind Fox/NBC.

Iger has been squawking like a school girl about ESPN and the entire broadcast model lately. He was very open and honest on his CNBC interview a few weeks ago when everyone was in Montana or Idaho (can't really remember). Clearly there are many things going on behind the scenes right now. But there's no way they let the SEC fall far behind the B1G in terms of TV rights and programming. It will obviously take some time to get everything figured out but I don't believe for a minute that ESPN will fall that far behind Fox/NBC.
ad revenue has to come from somewhere.

these SEC/Big10 projected payouts kinda have a bubbliscious vibe to them maybe??

in the future, don't discount Starlink being a player...

Advertisement
my guess they believe the future is streaming, not legacy broadcast as we've known it.

Disregard if this was posted somewhere in the previous 600 pages, but has anyone noticed and mentioned that 4 of the current ACC presidents, and 1 Athletic Director attended Stanford? Talking about conflict of interest.

1) Tim Sands - Va Tech
2) Vince Price - Duke
3) Susan Wente - Wake Forrest
4) William Leahy - Boston College

1) Jack Swarbrick - ND Athletic Director

Disregard if this was posted somewhere in the previous 600 pages, but has anyone noticed and mentioned that 4 of the current ACC presidents, and 1 Athletic Director attended Stanford? Talking about conflict of interest.

1) Tim Sands - Va Tech
2) Vince Price - Duke

Dude relax. All of those schools would be on Stanford bandwagon either way except maybe va tech because they were in the expand acc mode as we have no great future home anyway

and Notre dame would be obvious with our without swarbrick

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Dude relax. All of those schools would be on Stanford bandwagon either way except maybe va tech because they were in the expand acc mode as we have no great future hime anyway

and Notre dame would be obvious with our without swarbrick

Always Sunny Reaction GIF
LoL Dude I am relaxed, I just made a post. I’m not on here posting bout this bs everyday. I really was just sharing.

Advertisement

1) Tim Sands - Va Tech
2) Vince Price - Duke

Wente attended Cal, not Stanford.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back