MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
Concerning, but a lot of the time those types aren’t as in the loop as they think.
He told me that but it's been reciprocated by others ever since. Only difference is they're not directly pointing at Oregon and Washington being the cause... they think it may be more of a result of what is going on with Miami or the ACC in general as to why they pivoted to those schools.

I don't know what Miami admin knew/thought. The person that mentioned the Washington/Oregon factor is a college football personality that was hearing things through the grapevine i guess.
What happened to CHANGE the landscape so fast was the implosion of the Pac 12 due to not having a decent media deal. The B10 ORIGINAL PLAN was to expand to the SE, potentially 4 teams, ideally FSU/ Clemson / Miami / UNC as that brought new geographic expansion and top viewership. THEN in 6-7 years take Oregon and Washington (which have significantly less viewers). Then BAM the Pac 12 imploded and OR / WA called the B10 begging and agreed to go and take a reduced share. THAT is what prompted this current stalemate regarding a potential spot for UM. If FSU / Clemson go to the SEC then Miami has a spot in the B10. It is that simple.

Advertisement
What happened to CHANGE the landscape so fast was the implosion of the Pac 12 due to not having a decent media deal. The B10 ORIGINAL PLAN was to expand to the SE, potentially 4 teams, ideally FSU/ Clemson / Miami / UNC as that brought new geographic expansion and top viewership. THEN in 6-7 years take Oregon and Washington (which have significantly less viewers). Then BAM the Pac 12 imploded and OR / WA called the B10 begging and agreed to go and take a reduced share. THAT is what prompted this current stalemate regarding a potential spot for UM. If FSU / Clemson go to the SEC then Miami has a spot in the B10. It is that simple.
I think it's all but public that FSU and Clemson are headed to the B1G.. soon

And I don’t think SEC will simply just watch B1G become the most prominent conference in all CFB.

BIG change in tune of the people I talk to and their outlook for Miami in all of this in the last week. Originally it appeared Miami was leading the pack in leaving the ACC. Also, I was told months ago by 1 person that if the B1G shifted to Oregon and Washington it would put the nail in Miami's coffin and right around then it all changed. I don't know why that is or why that was the caveat.

I'm very concerned.

Edit: Not even the last week. The last 3 days
Just as you are saying stuff changed in just the last 3 days, it can/will change again once the SEC makes a move to add ACC schools. If the SEC adds FSU and/or Clemson, we're in the Big10, without question imo.

Again Idk why everyone just believes the SEC will never expand.

Advertisement
I think it's all but public that FSU and Clemson are headed to the B1G.. soon
If that's true, then there may still be a chance for us to go to the SEC. Not my preferred outcome, but acceptable.

On a positive note, if we have a really good season, and we could, that could aid us in landing a committable offer to one of the two big boys. If we could just start winning again, it wouldn't take long to alter perception and land us in a respectable conference.

If it all goes south for us, then OH WELL. I'm still a Cane until I take a permanent dirt nap.

2022 TCU wouldn't even qualify in your argument because they won a power 5 conference.

As for your second point, If Miami was consistently at the bottom of the ACC standings they probably should be relegated to the lower tier. But they haven't been at the bottom of the ACC. They've only had a losing conference record in 5 of their 18 seasons.

The facts are, despite occasional G5 teams having nice runs, their overall record vs p5 conferences is terrible.

The AAC which is probably the top G5 conference, has a .319 win percentage vs P5
Conference USA- .181
MAC-.158
Mountain West-.291
Sun Belt - .276

That's an all time win % of .217

But wait, isn't the gap shrinking? aren't G5 teams generally better now than years ago?

Over the last 20 years, their win percentage vs the P5 is.189
over the last 10 - .182
over the last 5 - .168

The gap is only getting bigger and it's pretty much due to the fact that even middle of the road P5 programs have WAY more money to spend on athletics than even the most successful G5 teams.

There's a handful of G5 teams that you could make an argument to join the big leagues but they rarely have long periods of sustained success. And even then it's just success against other G5 programs.

They rarely have long periods of success specifically because they don’t get the money and airtime and recruits that P5 schools do. That’s my whole point.

Look at a school like UCF. Biggest state school in FL, one of the biggest in the nation.

I’m not a UCF fan by any stretch, but I do admire the fact that they’ve been able to work their way up from the bottom.

That doesn’t happen in your dream scenario. In 60-70 team “elite” division, the big boys get bigger and richer, the smaller guys or start-ups fall even further behind than they are now.

Advertisement
My late father had the best litmus test for how people view college football:

If you had the power, would you move CFB one step closer to high school football, or one step closer to the NFL?

I would move it two steps closer to HS, from what it is now at least.
Like San Dimas Football, High School Football Rules!

Advertisement
Could the ACC theoretically add those rumored teams at half the share and give the other half to the unpleased schools like FSU, Clemson, and Miami in order to avoid the collapse of the conference?

Advertisement
Back