MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

These numbers aren't really right, because it depends how you define the areas. Miami-Dade is considerably bigger than Tampa and is easily the #1 media market in Florida, and the #1 media market in the entire Southeast.

Florida
rank
U.S.
rank
Metropolitan AreaPopulation
1​
8​
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach
2​
18​
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater
3​
22​
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford
4​
39​
Jacksonville
5​
71​
North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton
6​
78​
Cape Coral–Fort Myers
7​
81​
Lakeland–Winter Haven
8​
90​
Deltona–Daytona Beach–Ormond Beach
9​
96​
Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville
10​
110​
Pensacola-Ferry Pass-Brent
11​
115​
Fort Pierce-Port St. Lucie
12​
144​
Tallahassee
metro and media markets are different. The networks utilize tv viewers. Miami-Dade County demographics are not really conducive for college football viewership. Also metro wise. Depending on how you measure Atlanta metro. South Florida is #1 or # 2.

Advertisement
No it makes perfect sense, ace. Obviously 6 million people in Miami don't own TV sets, they all read newspapers and listen to radio shows. In fact, I'm going to take my horse and buggy down to the beach after work.

You're right and I was wrong. I just forgot that Miami Dade is mostly populated by the Amish, which clearly is a better explanation for the discrepancy between media consumption and population numbers than the one I offered - which is that there are a lot of ways to define where to draw the borders of "Miami"... if you're just looking at the city vs the county or the greater metro area. That would just be dumb. Obviously it's what you said.
I think we need a Nielsen Rating Cage Match here.

Winner gets to be CEO of the CW.

The logistical combinations are comparatively minor. The Empirical One summed it up here.

It's just common sense to me. I don't know anyone who lives in Florida who would say Tampa is bigger than Miami. Even people who live in Tampa don't say that. You don't need to be a calculus teacher to know that Miami is the biggest area with the most potential eyeballs in the state, you just have to have spent some time in Florida.

IMO anyway.

Advertisement
Make no mistake - if the conference is this far back in revenue agains the P2, they are on their deathbed
I think I understand what you are getting at. But 10 years of greater revenue than most conferences are still lined up. It may be trended towards destruction, but they are a long ways off. Unless teams leave early, which in their side of things would be a good reason to try expansion.

No it makes perfect sense, ace. Obviously 6 million people in Miami don't own TV sets, they all read newspapers and listen to radio shows. In fact, I'm going to take my horse and buggy down to the beach after work.

You're right and I was wrong. I just forgot that Miami Dade is mostly populated by the Amish, which clearly is a better explanation for the discrepancy between media consumption and population numbers than the one I offered - which is that there are a lot of ways to define where to draw the borders of "Miami"... if you're just looking at the city vs the county or the greater metro area. That would just be dumb. Obviously it's what you said.
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

given quote, it's difficult to definitively discern that Miami's athletic director, Dan Radakovich
Our game against Miami, Ohio is actually for MAC membership. Loser has to stay in/move to the ACC.

Rad makin' 18 dimensional chess moves while we're here fretting over B1G nonsense! Eastern, Western, Central Michigan? We're gonna play em ALL!!!!
***** that. Let’s bring back Big Sky.

Beat Boise State!

I already conceded defeat. We don't have technology in Miami. No TV's. I don't even have a computer or the internet. Ignore the fact that you're reading this right now and that I posted it, those details are unimportant.
All gets down to NIELSEN ratings ... those are the ratings that the advertising industry uses to price ad time in specific markets. So if the Miami MDA is ranked #18 in Nielsen ratings and Tampa St Pete MDA is ranked #13 ... maybe there is less media market value to having a lot of viewers watching Sabado Gigante? Quien sabe.

Advertisement
Neilsen DMAs are not the same as Metro areas. There are 210 that they have defined and they might go back to the days of broadcast television. That might explain why WPB is separate from Miami as we couldn't receive Miami stations up here.

I don't know if that helps prevent people from comparing apples and oranges, but here are the top 200 as of last year.

Advertisement
TFWIW

I was talking with a local attorney who is friends with a guy named McGuire at Clemson. He was told that Georgia Tech right now is deciding about being the 8th vote needed to dissolve the ACC.

Prob just people yapping but is it possible that Ga Tech is holding things up?
B1G has been flirting with GT for years. GT might not be the top of their wishlist, but if it greases the wheels to dissolving the GOR and making the moves happen, I'd bet GT would go ahead and be a take. So I could see this as being plausible.

But the harder programs for me to believe leaving would be the NC and VA schools. Their roots in the ACC go back deep, politically it's going to be hard for them to peel out, with or without landing spots for all the programs in the league.

Advertisement
I just can't believe Cal & Stanford would drop to Group of 6 to AAC or MWC
I won't be shocked if these 2 get invites/lifelines to the ACC, ala WVU to the BigXII years ago. It won't be cheap travel for those 2 schools to come east for everything, but if the choice is either that or go completely irrelevant in the MWC at 4M a year, they'll take whatever disbursement from the ACC and happily eat the traveling fees while they hope for something to shake out with the B1G down the road.

All gets down to NIELSEN ratings ... those are the ratings that the advertising industry uses to price ad time in specific markets. So if the Miami MDA is ranked #18 in Nielsen ratings and Tampa St Pete MDA is ranked #13 ... maybe there is less media market value to having a lot of viewers watching Sabado Gigante? Quien sabe.
But I thought ACC was signing deal with Telemundo y Univision?

Muy Sabado Gigante Sooopear Plus Plus Especiale!

Advertisement
Back