MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
I do not recall this being discussed previously...does anybody know what the financials look like for the ACC? Do they have a lot of cash on hand? Just wondering how feasible a long and expensive legal battle is for the ACC. Hopefully most if not all revenue gets redistributed to the schools and they have an operating budget they cannot stray too much from without much in reserves?

Respectfully, if the SEC decides to grab FSU there is zero possibility that Miami gets left in the cold. Miami would be the last big school in FL and BiG gets a bump in pay when they enter a new state. Dont make this hard. Now if you want to panic about FSU taking the BiG spot. I guess you can. I won’t. Miami is still a very commodity.

Advertisement
If you're implying South Florida is the 1st or 2nd largest college football TV market, you're looking through green- and orange-colored glasses. We rarely ever have home sellouts and the people in SFLA would rather go to the beach, boating, etc than watch college football. Don't confuse recruiting grounds with TV market
State of Florida Designated Market Areas (DMA's) that made the top 50 nationally:

#13 Tampa / St. Pete
#17 Orlando / Daytona Beach
#18 Miami / Fort Lauderdale
#39 West Palm Beach
#43 Jacksonville

They just don't get it. AT ALL
I will be interested in seeing the renegotiated GOR with ESPN. If they add and could adjust the years it may leave everyone in a better place.

Teams that want out get out sooner. Teams that want to stay have new leverage with new footprints in the west. Wont be as strong as Big12 but still should be above G5.

The new GOR would be key tho.

And this is just a theory

Question-

Do you think the 12-team playoff offers more advantageous conditions for going Independent? If ESPN offered a discounted rev model to independent teams, but they didn't have a conference skimming off the top, would it be enticing?

The thought of cannibalizing the pac12 probably didn't make sense to the ACC because the brand (e.g. type) of football is different, and the geographical locations of the teams and TV markets makes scheduling a nightmare, and that's probably why it didn't happen. Super conferences don't make sense unless you're the big 10/12 where middle America and their teams all kinda wash together.

The SEC wouldn't dare pull teams from out west, it would be off brand. At some point, the brand is just too bloated, and a reset must be applied. We might be getting close to that moment.

Advertisement
They just don't get it. AT ALL
They don't have a choice at this point. They messed it up signing the GOR. Also back when SEC signed OK and Texas the ACC tried to get something done with PAC at that time but the PAC was arrogant. That backfired on them.

TFWIW

I was talking with a local attorney who is friends with a guy named McGuire at Clemson. He was told that Georgia Tech right now is deciding about being the 8th vote needed to dissolve the ACC.

Prob just people yapping but is it possible that Ga Tech is holding things up?

Poll Era
[BGCOLOR=initial]Michigan - 2[/BGCOLOR]
Michigan St. - 2
Penn St. - 2
Minnesota- 4
Nebraska - 5
[BGCOLOR=initial]Ohio State- 5(6*)[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]20 total[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]USC - 7[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]UCLA - 1[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]Washington -1[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]Oregon - 0[/BGCOLOR]
Plus 9

Others:
GT - 1
Cuse- 1

Pretty sure these four are the winners from the ACC:
ND - 8
Miami- 5 (6*)
FSU - 3
Clemson- 3
You listed schools from the Big 10 (stylized B1G) that have won, not from the BIG 12 (stylized XII), which the poster you were responding to mentioned.

Oklahoma and Texas are the only teams to win championships (one each since being in the Big 12) that are in the Big 12.

Animated GIF

Advertisement
Again, that is TV market, not college football TV market. People in SFLA have a multitude of things to do besides stay at home and watch college football. Heck, the Big 10 could add GA Tech who fits their academic requirements and opens up the Atlanta market, which is #7, as well. I truly hope we go to the Big 10, but to think we're a slam dunk is misguided IMO
There are so many transplants in Florida and South Florida from the B10 that the ratings would increase even though there is so much to do down there.

State of Florida Designated Market Areas (DMA's) that made the top 50 nationally:

#13 Tampa / St. Pete
#17 Orlando / Daytona Beach
#18 Miami / Fort Lauderdale
#39 West Palm Beach
#43 Jacksonville
That's great, but Atlanta is #7 and IMO GA Tech fits the Big 10 agenda better than UM. Everyone likes to say UM is a hot commodity, but don't forget the hatred towards UM, so if the SEC and Big 10 can stick it to UM they very well may do that. If the Big 10 takes GA Tech and FSU, they secure both the Atlanta and FL markets and get additional money for adding 2 new states. And yes, I get GA Tech isn't a great athletic school, but the Big 10 doesn't need another power football program...they just need the TV market and the academics.

Again, I hope UM goes to the Big 10, but all this talk about being a slam dunk for either the Big 10 or SEC is short sighted IMO. I actually think we'll go to the Big 12, just my opinion

Advertisement
I will be interested in seeing the renegotiated GOR with ESPN. If they add and could adjust the years it may leave everyone in a better place.

Teams that want out get out sooner. Teams that want to stay have new leverage with new footprints in the west. Wont be as strong as Big12 but still should be above G5.

The new GOR would be key tho.

And this is just a theory
Existing GOR states that any new program admitted to the ACC Conference must sign the existing GOR.

There are so many transplants in Florida and South Florida from the B10 that the ratings would increase even though there is so much to do down there.
Maybe, maybe not. I'm hoping for the Big 10, so we'll have to see what happens. Miami's leadership doesn't provide a lot of confidence though

Advertisement
Back