MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

We will end up in Big 12 if ACC collapses. SEC values FSU, Clemson and even UNC above us. Big 10 has no reason to expand farther unless ND wants in. As I said a couple weeks ago and was blasted I thought Oregon and Washington would be added to Big 10 before anyone in the east. Just made business sense with UCLA and USC on board.
In 2017, Miami had:

- 4th highest viewership as far as bowl games are concerned, only falling behind the 2 semi's and national championship game.
- 6 weeks in the top 5 for viewership all of which came between Week 6 - Week 13. In fact, we finished top 5 in viewers every week from Week 10 - Week 13. Alabama had 8 weeks in top 5. Ohio State had 7. Georgia had 6 (same as us). We were amongst the most watched programs that season.
- Week 13: Miami vs Pitt had more viewers than Clemson vs South Carolina and Florida vs FSU.
- Week 12: Miami vs Virginia had higher viewership than LSU vs Tennessee, Navy vs Notre Dame, Illinois vs Ohio State, Texas vs West Virginia, Nebraska vs Penn State, Texas A&M vs Ole Miss, among other decent matchups. Mind you...this was also a noon kickoff. Some of those other games were later afternoon or even night game (LSU vs Tenn).
- Week 7: Miami vs GT had 5th highest viewership and more viewers than Clemson vs Syracuse, Ohio State vs Nebraska, Texas A&M vs Florida, FSU vs Duke, South Carolina vs Tennessee.

Long story short, people watch when Miami wins. It's a marquee matchup most weeks. It's a brand that people want to see on TV. Either because they love us. Or they hate us (mostly this).

Most people in media know this. It's why they always have "Is the U Back?" segments after we win a few games in a row.

To think the B1G has no interest in adding the Miami media market or a national brand like The U is crazy. Same for the SEC. What they probably want to see though is a program that can at least be somewhat competitive (finish ranked every year) in order to generate some of that interest. It hasn't happened consistently.

But if Mario can pull this off 2-3 seasons in a row (9-3 type finishes is more than good enough from the media perspective) we instantly become one of the most valuable programs from the media's perspective.

Advertisement
I am pretty sure Miami has more national titles than the whole BIG 12 combined.

If and when the ACC collapses,

Miami
FSU
Clemson
and Notre Dame (if they want), will be scooped up by one of the BIG or SEC.

Thanks

I would like to see Radakovich negotiate an exit from the ACC based on:

1). $120M conference exit fee. Cost of leaving.
2). Negotiate return of GOR (negotiate with ACC / ESPN) for an annual payment from Miami to the ACC of $30M
for 10 years.
3). Miami joins the B10 with full media rights and full share of B10 media distribution. After netting out the $30M annual payment
Miami will initially be making a little more than currently in the ACC, but the margin increases annually.

That way the "out of pocket" exit is limited to $120M and Miami is in the B2 with all of the associated advantages.

Advertisement
CIS putting up "porst-per-second" in this thread.

Love the energy here.
Um
Hoda Kotb GIF by The 96th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Last edited:
Who blinks first in next round of conference madness...

SEC or Big1,345?
I really think this entire thing hinges upon the SEC believing that the B1G is imminent in adding a Florida school or schools. THEN they'll get aggressive. Not sure if waiting until then is wise on their behalf but I don't think the B1G adding any school(s) (UNC included) sans maybe Clemson would light any fire under Craig Hankey's keister.

And thats just it we haven't won except for 17. So if we go 8-5 this year and no big wins it just continues on the 20 year long trend.

Advertisement
I really think this entire thing hinges upon the SEC believing that the B1G is imminent in adding a Florida school or schools. THEN they'll get aggressive. Not sure if waiting until then is wise on their behalf but I don't think the B1G adding any school(s) (UNC included) sans maybe Clemson would light any fire under Craig Hankey's keister.
Hard to imagine any conference pulling the trigger when they might be adding a team that has no broadcast rights for home games. Can they still pay an ACC school that moves a partial share with the school keeping THAT money while ESPN broadcasts the home games?

The Pac-12 schools were always going to choose the Big 12 over the ACC. Even though the ACC could hypothetically offer more money and a shorter grant of rights, the Big-12 is geographically closer which means lower travel costs that more than offset any extra money the ACC can offer. Plus, despite the GOR, the Mid-12 TV deal comes up for renewal sooner, which could theoretically trigger another realignment.

The ASU AD specifically said something about not wanting to send soccer teams to Syracuse in the fall.
That may be true, but that's not the point. The ACC wasn't, and isn't, being proactive when it comes to realignment. This is just another example of the good ole' boy Tobacco Road mentality.

That may be true, but that's not the point. The ACC wasn't, and isn't, being proactive when it comes to realignment. This is just another example of the good ole' boy Tobacco Road mentality.

I agree. Challenge is any school that would make sense to add from a revenue standpoint is either already making more money in their conference, staying independent, or has better geographic options.

"No reason to expand further"?

You mean capturing a slice of the first or second largest college football TV market isn't a good enough reason to expand further?
If you're implying South Florida is the 1st or 2nd largest college football TV market, you're looking through green- and orange-colored glasses. We rarely ever have home sellouts and the people in SFLA would rather go to the beach, boating, etc than watch college football. Don't confuse recruiting grounds with TV market

Advertisement
And thats just it we haven't won except for 17. So if we go 8-5 this year and no big wins it just continues on the 20 year long trend.
If there is no expansion movement prior to the start of the season, the A&M game could be pivotal for us. Would leave us with a solid rank and allow us to stay on national TV for games like Temple, GT, and UVA (will be at worst on ACCN rather than regional TV)

If you're implying South Florida is the 1st or 2nd largest college football TV market, you're looking through green- and orange-colored glasses. We rarely ever have home sellouts and the people in SFLA would rather go to the beach, boating, etc than watch college football. Don't confuse recruiting grounds with TV market
No. The state of Florida.

Miami and FSU are the B1Gs best opportunities to get into the state.

Advertisement

Miami
FSU
Clemson

Thanks

Poll Era
[BGCOLOR=initial]Michigan - 2[/BGCOLOR]
Michigan St. - 2
Penn St. - 2
Minnesota- 4
Nebraska - 5
[BGCOLOR=initial]Ohio State- 5(6*)[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]20 total[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]USC - 7[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]UCLA - 1[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]Washington -1[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]Oregon - 0[/BGCOLOR]
Plus 9

Others:
GT - 1
Cuse- 1

Pretty sure these four are the winners from the ACC:
ND - 8
Miami- 5 (6*)
FSU - 3
Clemson- 3

The Miami tv market is 18th nationally and 2nd or 3rd in the southeast behind Atlanta, GA and Orlando, FL.

FYI, the BIG currently has NO SCHOOLS in the southeast market.

Miami
FSU
Clemson

Thanks
Considering Oklahoma is still part of the Big 12, the answer is no. Clemson and FSU could go SEC and the Big 10 may want UVA and NC because of the academics (coupled with the fact we haven't been relevant in football for nearly 20 years). The best bet may be the Big 12

The Miami tv market is 18th nationally and 2nd or 3rd in the southeast behind Atlanta, GA and Orlando, FL.

FYI, the BIG currently has NO SCHOOLS in the southeast market.

Again, that is TV market, not college football TV market. People in SFLA have a multitude of things to do besides stay at home and watch college football. Heck, the Big 10 could add GA Tech who fits their academic requirements and opens up the Atlanta market, which is #7, as well. I truly hope we go to the Big 10, but to think we're a slam dunk is misguided IMO

Advertisement
Back