MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

I don't know who "people" are, but there are certainly levels to "vetting", and then the word "approval" means something completely different.

To give an example, my company has plenty of acquisition targets. We know a lot about them. But until we get the FULL due diligence, it's all just...talk...

And, sure, maybe evaluating these collegiate things is not quite as complex as a corporate acquisition. Fair enough.

Right now, all we know is "surface-level". Washington-Oregon are willing to join the Big 10 for half-shares. BUT FOR HOW LONG? Will there be a progressively-higher vesting schedule such as what Rutgers-Maryland have? Is that already priced into the Fox/CBS/NBC deals?

There's more to this than what Washington-Oregon tell Brett McMurphy.

Well, didn't he say vetted like articles said beginning of June?

I haven't read anyone being approved. That would be final step, no??

Advertisement
Well, didn't he say vetted like articles said beginning of June?

I haven't read anyone being approved. That would be final step, no??

You would think, right?

But Washington-Oregon have been running around with letters that say they have been pre-approved for a Capital One card, and saying that the Big 10 is imminent...

It’s also a factor of who we are playing. Everybody under performs when you’re playing a school like Boston College in ratings.

While what you are saying is not untrue, Genetics was saying that you really need each school to bring 4.0 million of their own, regardless of opponent. THEN you can get up to those much larger numbers. And I do trust his math, but sometimes he is trying to make an esoteric point and it can be confusing.

Essentially, you need to bring a bulletproof 4.0 million viewers to the table. Then you're in the conversation.

Once schools give notice, they won't be allowed to vote on things such as "new membership".

The issue that would be addressed with an A&P merger is time zones. Yes, an all-west-coast conference is not enough to make ESPN write checks. But if Biggie and Tupac decide to record a song together, you'd get to have some of those good west coast schools playing games in the E.S.T. You could spread your time slots out ALL DAY LONG without having to worry about ALL of your games being late-night games.

The key factor is that you could have anywhere from 1-3 conferences that would be "national" coast-to-coast conferences. The Big 10 would obviously be the best, and then it would be up to the A&P and the Big 12 to fight for second-best.
Hurricanes vs Bannana Slugs

ESPN Game Day live from Santa Cruz.

**** YEAH! We byke.

Advertisement
I’ve said many times, ND has a very pious & pompous view of themselves. They love being the big fish in a small pond, regardless if it hurts them in various ways.

When most athletics were w/ Russell, ND chose Champion. When most athletics went Nike or Reebok, ND chose Adidas.
When most athletics went Nike or Adidas, ND chose UA
When most athletics went from Ind to a conference, ND chose to stay Ind.

This is their mantra; they need to feel this self importance which is y despite what happened w/ O$U, ND will always be my most hated, tied w/ UF. It boggles my mind they have an opportunity to step into the 21st century, & they r being dogmatic in trying to say Independent, EVEN if they lose an extra $75m-$100m over a 10 yr period in the process. That’s asinine to me, but that’s what ND does.

I hope it all backfires in their face & they r forced to come off that high horse.
Teams will continue to play them intitially but if these major expansions continue, after a while teams are not gonna see the benefit when they are already playing,4,5,6 big matchups just in the regular season and then an expanded playoffs. Shortsighted execs are the worse. This will be a very different sport in 5-10 years.

**** YEAH! We byke.
Think about the ramifications of that. Will a game involving an east coast team have to have an earlier start? You certainly wouldn't want Miami at USC starting at 8 PM Pacific time.

Will that mean earlier start times for some east coast games to not conflict with west coast matchups?

It could get interesting as they're trying to fill a full day's schedule.

**** YEAH! We byke.

Very good friend of mine from high school chose to go to UC Santa Cruz. I believe they "officially" chose the Banana Slug as the mascot in 1986, before that the "official" mascot was the sea lion and the "unofficial" mascot was the banana slug.

I've (passively) rooted for UC-Santa Cruz ever since.

Advertisement
This aint happening. Say that first. Yet if the ACC and PAC had any sense they would have merged. Give ESPN the ultimatum, either get rid of the GOR or simply vote to dissolve both and form a new conference. Plus grab someone from Texas. That is on par with the Big 12, but would never catch up to the big 2. I dont know if any of this is possible but thats what i would be thinking. The ACC is sitting back while the Pac is dying slowly.

I fear the 4 big heads in the ACC have moved on like when u are done with a relationship and its not repairable.

Advertisement
Don't get me wrong, I think the ACC/PAC/B12 Greatest Hits would be a banger of an album, I just don't think there are enough OTA networks to pay them what they would be looking for.

Fox/CBS/NBC are already in bed with the Big 10. ABC/ESPN has the SEC.

So you know what this means, right?

The CW is going to be the new titan of college sports!
Al Jazeeera probably needs somewhere to wash money. These man playing around. U see what they did with Golf. Beat everybody to the punch. Each team gets 1 billion dollar per year. Lol

I definitely see 9 conference games, maybe even 10.

And before anyone says "but but but, the OOC games", I'd point out that the Big 2 will also be getting a lot of post-season revenue too. So that need to "score a big payday" off of an OOC game will not be as desperate.

If you go to 9 conference games, you'd see 1 "good" OOC game and 2 "revenue" games. Ten conference games probably puts that at 1 and 1. Gonna be hard to schedule any good rivalry games that are not already within the Big 2. UiF-F$U might go away, particularly if the Gaytors keep insisting on playing in Jacksonville.
9 or 10 conference games is too much. Especially if you go to a 20 or 24 team conference. You need 4 smaller divisions. How do you determine who plays for the conference championship? You almost need a mini-playoff within the conference to determine the conference champ.

Advertisement
9 or 10 conference games is too much. Especially if you go to a 20 or 24 team conference. You need 4 smaller divisions. How do you determine who plays for the conference championship? You almost need a mini-playoff within the conference to determine the conference champ.

It will be a mix of pod games plus cross-pod matchups that will be on a less frequent rotation.

Mostly stayed out of this thread, but really hoping this is more of a Manny is fired/coach search scenario where our insiders ran circles around everyone else and not the other option. I remain hopeful. I think our B1G partner is actually ND, not Clemson or FSU btw. Very unique content to advertise if you can show ND vs Miami nationally every year on the same weekend. Just my .02

told ya...

Now ACC-PAC12/Big12 merger would encircletheir adversaries....

of money is right...FSU, Miami, Clemson stay put

Long term, if other regions of country can start developing talent, SEC will suffer.

I'd argue they would shrink.

People need to think not for today, but what moves can be made to outpace our adversaries 20 mins from now.

Just look how European monarchies/nations behaved since 1600s....
That move reeks of extreme desperation.....PAC12 cant get a media deal as is and they are gonna add value to the ACC in what way?

Advertisement
Back