MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

I don’t see them getting that though they might stay independent because they value that and they are so flush with cash that they can do that. I think it should hurt them for the playoffs if they don’t play a grueling schedule like others. Somehow they’re above that fate though.

Yeah, there's two big sticks to use on Notre Dame.

One is playoff access, and the other is the combo of "football scheduling arrangement" and "landing spot for other sports".

A lot depends on how much the ACC cookie crumbles. If it only loses 2 teams (UM and F$U) but merges with the Pac or something similar, then ND could continue to hang with the ACC. I don't think NBC would care very much if ND doesn't play UM and/or F$U in the future. The wild card is whether USC continues to play ND, whether Michigan State and Michigan continue to play ND. Whether the Big 10 puts a limit on schools directly, or even "indirectly" b moving to 9 or 10 conference games, remains to be seen.

Now, if the Big 10 rolls over like a big dog when ND rubs its belly with a "scheduling arrangement", that would consitute a truly weak response. One would think that the commonality of NBC as a broadcaster makes the Big 10 and ND a natural pairing, but never underestimate the selfishness and arrogance of Notre Dame.

Advertisement
Different situation entirely. The B10 has Miami / FSU as PRIME TARGETS for geographic expansion into the State of Florida ... huge population of B10 fans ... rich recruiting area ... helps with the national conference goal. Oregon / Washington are way down on their list ... their reported plan was to add 4 ACC programs and ND with a scheduling agreement first, then, in 4-5 years, add Oregon / Washington. The process has been accelerated by the Pac 12 collapse and the threat that Or / Wa would go to the B12 and FOX didn't want to risk losing that broadcast market ... hence ... the B10 will take them now but at a reduced share (50%) for an initial period to lessen the burden. FOX / CBS / NBC are all aware of the ACC exit issues and will guarantee Miami a full share, and there have even been rumors that the media partners might assist in helping cover some of the exit costs.

People need to stop responding to Caneinbroward's fake "critical thinking" porsts. His bullcrap is just the same old disingenuous passive-aggressive hot-takes.

Anyone can play his ridiculous game. "What's to stop Washington/Oregon from demaning full shares in the future"?

If everyone will just ignore Caneinbroward and be nice to Memnon, this thread will be 80% better immediately.

From everything I've heard or read (and hockey aside), the B1G ain't offering ND all-sports membership with an exception for football.

All or nothing at this point — and with conference consolidation the B1G will likely have the leverage to do so.

If the ACC collapses like many here are hoping, the Irish are gonna have to **** or get off the pot
From all I am reading from the B10 guys ... the B10 will be more than content if they can grab 4 ACC programs and a scheduling agreement with ND for the time being.

The thought of ND possibly having a schedule full of cupcakes, doing well, and finding themselves outside of the CFP really warms my heart.
Not happening ... ever. Rolls Royce brand that draws viewership from every state and abroad regardless of opponent. B10 would love to have a scheduling agreement for the time being.

Advertisement
Not happening ... ever. Rolls Royce brand that draws viewership from every state and abroad regardless of opponent. B10 would love to have a scheduling agreement for the time being.
Probably not, but finding good dance partners when the conferences expand might be a challenge. I can dream.

Probably not, but finding good dance partners when the conferences expand might be a challenge. I can dream.
What would be heart warming would be Miami / FSU in the B10, and ESPN not having any broadcast rights for the Final Four or the College Playoffs in 2026. The scheduling opportunities that the B10 will have with Oregon / Washington / USC / UCLA on the West Coast, then Miami / FSU / Clemson / Va Tech in the South + ND is off the charts. From a national viewing perspective the B10 will be #1 in overall viewership. The B10 media partners just signed 40 new sponsors after releasing their latest media deal with the conference. A true national conference will be an advertising gold mine.

Im drunk and Im prolly not gonna regret it and maudes will prolly delete....

Or not....

BUT PLEASE.
SHUT.
THE.
UP.
PLEASE.

K thx
Season 5 Ron GIF by Parks and Recreation

It's a situation permitted by what has consistently been beyond feckless "resistance"- see the ACC dealing with them during Covid.

IF the B1G reallllly wanted to force the hand of these Irish hypocrite clowns and start using the stick instead of the honey then they could essentially end this independence nonsense in like a day.

You quietly go to them and simply say that as of a certain date no B1G member school will schedule you in football again unless you join the conference and we even may buy our way out of some currently scheduled games.

Who you going to play, toughguy? Not USC any longer. More than likely you won't even be able cry to any of the marquee ACC schools because that conference is dead. You going to join the SEC to spite us? Please. You know your fanbase wouldn't even accept you being forced to try to schedule an entire "independent" schedule with SEC filler after you play the service academies and Boston College (soon to be of the Big 12).

You going to cry to the TV networks? You don't think Fox is completely onboard with forcing your hand. You think NBC is going to give you moarrrr money when you're finally being iced out? ESPN? You had your chance with them when you were being begged by the ACC to join.

Soooooo....your little run of thinking you call every shot is over now because it finally dawned on us that WE control YOUR destiny unless you guys want to start calling Arkansas to see if they're interested in a home-and-home.

We can pick this up next time and start discussing how your influence with the Playoff system is going to be changing OR we'll just send you those B1G uniform patches over now so you can have them ready to be sewn on in time for the 2025 season.

Good day, sir! You get nothing!!!! (Aside from a full conference share and probably super preferential conference scheduling).
Steve Spurrier has been saying his about Notre Dame for decades.

Advertisement
Different situation entirely. The B10 has Miami / FSU as PRIME TARGETS for geographic expansion into the State of Florida ... huge population of B10 fans ... rich recruiting area ... helps with the national conference goal. Oregon / Washington are way down on their list ... their reported plan was to add 4 ACC programs and ND with a scheduling agreement first, then, in 4-5 years, add Oregon / Washington. The process has been accelerated by the Pac 12 collapse and the threat that Or / Wa would go to the B12 and FOX didn't want to risk losing that broadcast market ... hence ... the B10 will take them now but at a reduced share (50%) for an initial period to lessen the burden. FOX / CBS / NBC are all aware of the ACC exit issues and will guarantee Miami a full share, and there have even been rumors that the media partners might assist in helping cover some of the exit costs.
Is that how FSU will be able to pay $120 million to exit?

What would be heart warming would be Miami / FSU in the B10, and ESPN not having any broadcast rights for the Final Four or the College Playoffs in 2026. The scheduling opportunities that the B10 will have with Oregon / Washington / USC / UCLA on the West Coast, then Miami / FSU / Clemson / Va Tech in the South + ND is off the charts. From a national viewing perspective the B10 will be #1 in overall viewership. The B10 media partners just signed 40 new sponsors after releasing their latest media deal with the conference. A true national conference will be an advertising gold mine.
VT??? Why them and not UVA?

No way I see the Virginia legislature allowing one to go if the other is stuck in the mud.

Unless you’re thinking that UVA goes SEC? Culturally, VT is more SEC-like than UVA.

Advertisement

No way I see the Virginia legislature allowing one to go if the other is stuck in the mud.

Unless you’re thinking that UVA goes SEC? Culturally, BT is more SEC-like than UVA.
As far as WHO goes where ... there are a ton of scenarios that have been presented and there is justification for about any one. Huge consideration is that the B10 is on it's way to a 24 team conference. There HAVE been comments that the SEC really wants to land UNC and UVA to solidify the SEC in the South.

-Primary B10 Targets .... FSU, Miami, Clemson, ND most likely in a scheduling agreement.
-Secondary targets from the ACC according to @Genetics56 are Va Tech, Ga Tech and NC State, with the assumption that UNC and UVA are SEC bound eventually (as The OriginalCane has commented ... the Confederate Battle Flag membership would be completed).

He stated yesterday that the way he sees it having room for 8 programs they would most likely be:
-Oregon
-Washington
-Miami
-FSU
-Clemson
-Va Tech
THEN they will have to decided between 4 programs for the other two slots ... Ga Tech, NC State, Stanford, Cal.

Regardless of the source it is speculation ... but at least @Genetics56 is legitimately wired into high level sources within the B10 so his opinions carry more weight for consideration than most.

Unless you’re thinking that UVA goes SEC? Culturally, BT is more SEC-like than UVA.

I think you meant to type VT instead of BT, but I agree.

What's weird is that I'd be willing to bet that Clemson is closer to AAU-worthy than VaTech.

And I said this a while back, but GaTech might be a dark horse. MASSIVE market, and if you could get GaTech to improve in football, you'd have a healthy number of people in Georgia willing to wear black-and-gold to be "different" from the "majority-UGa" crowd. There's only two schools in Georgia to chop up the fans.

Advertisement
As far as WHO goes where ... there are a ton of scenarios that have been presented and there is justification for about any one. Huge consideration is that the B10 is on it's way to a 24 team conference. There HAVE been comments that the SEC really wants to land UNC and UVA to solidify the SEC in the South.

-Primary B10 Targets .... FSU, Miami, Clemson, ND most likely in a scheduling agreement.
-Secondary targets from the ACC according to @Genetics56 are Va Tech, Ga Tech and NC State, with the assumption that UNC and UVA are SEC bound eventually (as The OriginalCane has commented ... the Confederate Battle Flag membership would be completed).

He stated yesterday that the way he sees it having room for 8 programs they would most likely be:
-Oregon
-Washington
-Miami
-FSU
-Clemson
-Va Tech
THEN they will have to decided between 4 programs for the other two slots ... Ga Tech, NC State, Stanford, Cal.

Regardless of the source it is speculation ... but at least @Genetics56 is legitimately wired into high level sources within the B10 so his opinions carry more weight for consideration than most.
That’s so weird because UVA people in no way see themselves as SEC types. They value education.

That’s so weird because UVA people in no way see themselves as SEC types. They value education.

Yes, to me, this is going to be the most fascinating sideshow of conference realignment.

The SEC's lust to reunite the 13 Confederate states by acquiring "flagship" schools vs. the very strong academic goals of UVa and UNC.

Yeah, there's two big sticks to use on Notre Dame.

One is playoff access, and the other is the combo of "football scheduling arrangement" and "landing spot for other sports".

A lot depends on how much the ACC cookie crumbles. If it only loses 2 teams (UM and F$U) but merges with the Pac or something similar, then ND could continue to hang with the ACC. I don't think NBC would care very much if ND doesn't play UM and/or F$U in the future. The wild card is whether USC continues to play ND, whether Michigan State and Michigan continue to play ND. Whether the Big 10 puts a limit on schools directly, or even "indirectly" b moving to 9 or 10 conference games, remains to be seen.

Now, if the Big 10 rolls over like a big dog when ND rubs its belly with a "scheduling arrangement", that would consitute a truly weak response. One would think that the commonality of NBC as a broadcaster makes the Big 10 and ND a natural pairing, but never underestimate the selfishness and arrogance of Notre Dame.
Question:

How do "media rights" work with NBC/Notre Dame and say Big10/Sec school matchup?

When ND plays Michigan, how are the "rights to that game" worked out?

Does each retain authority to re-broadcast as they see fit??

Question:

How do "media rights" work with NBC/Notre Dame and say Big10/Sec school matchup?

When ND plays Michigan, how are the "rights to that game" worked out?

Does each retain authority to re-broadcast as they see fit??
I believe the rights attach to the home games. Rebroadcast rights are certainly contractual, and seem to remain with the network that has the rights, i. e. Miami games on espn where rebroadcast on an espn station or the APP, you didn't see them on Bally

Advertisement
Back