MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Now it’s up to $65 million year? Dang they almost got the $70 million.
No idea on the details of how it all kicks in. For example ... I did read that the BIG 10 money DOES NOT start out at $80-90 million in year one of the new contract ... it SCALES UP to that range over the first few years. Crazy times.

Advertisement
Plus the B10 will be doing another contract before the ACC‘s is over.

The Atlantic Coast Conference is the never sober billionaire heir who somehow managed to do so much wrong that no legal defense fund could protect them from themselves. They’ll be kicked out of the family, without a single feather from the family’s golden goose.

Bingo; these fools r going to not only make $40m yr/team more starting in 2024, they r going to lap the ACC twice w/in a contract period, b/c they r signing a smart deal! I still cannot believe Swofford handcuffed the ACC for 20 yrs.

Folks, allow me to furnish u w/ how bad this deal was in negotiations:

The contract was signed in July 2016

From 2013 - 2016:
FSU won a National Championship
FSU played in the CFP
GT won a NY6 bowl
Clemson played in the CFP Finals
Clemson won the CFP
Duke won the NCAAB Title
UNC played in the NCAAB Title Game
UNC won the NCAAB the following season

Yet, this **** negotiated the worst TV deal like we were some Mountain West Conference.

U don’t think ESPN looked up during negotiations & said, “ABSOLUTELY; DEAL IS DONE!” There’s a handful of things that just irk my nerves:

-‘86 season
-‘88 game in Southbent
-‘03 Fiesta Bowl
-How Blake didn’t run a coaching search b4 Diaz
-Swofford negotiating & getting the green light to approve such a monstrosity of a deal.

Just gotta get to 8 to void that GOR. Can't tell me there aren't 8 athletic directors in the conference that are not interested in getting left behind during the shuffle, even if it is heading to the big 12.
There is nothing in there that states 8 teams. This was debunked by David Gale weeks ago

Advertisement
There is nothing in there that states 8 teams. This was debunked by David Gale weeks ago
In his jul 11th thread he speculated he thought 8 teams didn't have a place to go, not that it isn't a solution. did he change position since then? How does a non existent conference enforce something, which the acc would be if 8 teams leave?

In his jul 11th thread he speculated he thought 8 teams didn't have a place to go, not that it isn't a solution. did he change position since then? How does a non existent conference enforce something, which the acc would be if 8 teams leave?
This. People think teams can just pick up and go, or conferences will just add teams Willy-Nilly. Doesn’t work like that. There has to be value. There’s not 8 teams in the ACC worth enough to warrant splitting the pie even more. Once you get past Clemson, Miami, FSU, UNC and maybe UVA, you’re getting into programs that don’t really move the needle.

This. People think teams can just pick up and go, or conferences will just add teams Willy-Nilly. Doesn’t work like that. There has to be value. There’s not 8 teams in the ACC worth enough to warrant splitting the pie even more. Once you get past Clemson, Miami, FSU, UNC and maybe UVA, you’re getting into programs that don’t really move the needle.
Perhaps. Not going to pretend to be an expert but I'd assume there is value in capturing media markets and households for advertising capacity to go along with these increasing media deals though. And the ACC has several teams not listed there in the top 50 media markets in GT, BC, Duke, NC State, Pitt, Wake, and L'ville.

Advertisement
Fox is not going to pay a ton and not get a prime time slot. Not sure what you heard but I guarantee that’s wrong.
Welp. Def was wrong and definitely don’t get why they are paying the most for a noon 9 am slot

Welp. Def was wrong and definitely don’t get why they are paying the most for a noon 9 am slot

That’s their spot; it’s called “High Noon”. They have a lot of their big games at that time. Even w/ the NFL, Fox carries majority of the early games (1p et), & they have a couple of evening games (4p et).

That’s their sweet spot

For one they've done a ton to brand '"Big Noon Saturday" it's helped the shoulder programming of their pregame show to get some traction against College GameDay. Also they have MLB postseason in primetime for the first few months of the college football season anyway, this helps Fox have an entire day of live sports on the weekend. They'd rather be the only game anyone wants to watch at noon than compete with the ESPN game of the week in primetime. ESPN gave up on the noon slot so Fox took it.

Advertisement
The Noon thing also means the coveted Ohio State vs. Michigan game will always be on FOX unless they stray away from the noon kickoff. I think they did that once a few years back.

*Edit 2006 was the year.

Bingo; these fools r going to not only make $40m yr/team more starting in 2024, they r going to lap the ACC twice w/in a contract period, b/c they r signing a smart deal! I still cannot believe Swofford handcuffed the ACC for 20 yrs.

Folks, allow me to furnish u w/ how bad this deal was in negotiations:

The contract was signed in July 2016

From 2013 - 2016:
FSU won a National Championship
FSU played in the CFP
GT won a NY6 bowl
Clemson played in the CFP Finals
Clemson won the CFP
Duke won the NCAAB Title
UNC played in the NCAAB Title Game
UNC won the NCAAB the following season

Yet, this **** negotiated the worst TV deal like we were some Mountain West Conference.

U don’t think ESPN looked up during negotiations & said, “ABSOLUTELY; DEAL IS DONE!” There’s a handful of things that just irk my nerves:

-‘86 season
-‘88 game in Southbent
-‘03 Fiesta Bowl
-How Blake didn’t run a coaching search b4 Diaz
-Swofford negotiating & getting the green light to approve such a monstrosity of a deal.
ESPN: What kind of numbers are you thinking?
Swofford: Well, whats your offer.
ESPN: We're thinking around $240 million per yea...
Swofford: DONE!

So. Let's assume ND stays Independent.

Does B1G expand to 20? If so, who would they add now?

Cal, Stanford, UNC & UVA????

Advertisement

Well said — and the worst part:

Nobody put a gun to the head of the presidents of UM, FSU and Clemson, saying "sign this deal or else" ... WTF was that dipsh!t Swofford gonna do if Shalala and the other two said no? Throw his top three football brands out of the conference?

As anybody with a lick of business sense knows: Do not surrender your leverage. Miami, Free Shoes and Clemson aren't BC and Syracuse for crying out loud.

I really pin the blame on the three athletic directors because it's clear time after time that most college presidents know and care little about athletics. It's the AD's job to advise their bosses on these matters.

UMvsAppSt-17335.jpg

Advertisement
Back