MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

This is crazy money. And there are built in escalations to increase the money if Big 10 expands? That means they're planning on it already. You're not leaving behind up to $3 billion dollars on the table. If I was a betting man, I would bet things would start to heat up on schools jumping ship. There's too much money on the table to not find a way to make it work, even if it costs you upfront.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Just gotta get to 8 to void that GOR. Can't tell me there aren't 8 athletic directors in the conference that are not interested in getting left behind during the shuffle, even if it is heading to the big 12.

Advertisement
Just gotta get to 8 to void that GOR. Can't tell me there aren't 8 athletic directors in the conference that are not interested in getting left behind during the shuffle, even if it is heading to the big 12.
1. Canes - **** to the yeah
2. semenholes - yes
3. Clemson - yes
4. UNC - yes
5. UVA - yes
6. Duke - yes
7. VT - yes
8. NC State - yes
9. Georgia Tech?
10. Louisville?
11. Pitt?
12. Notre Dame?
13. Syracuse - no
14. Boston College - no
15. Wake Forest - no

No way NBC will pay what ND is wanting now so behind the scenes negotiations for ND to join B1G?
Was stated that NBC and ND have negotiated and reached a deal for $60 million per year ... don't know if that is effective as of 2023 or not. Based on the agreement that was reported ND remains independence; ND will have BIG 10 games scheduled ... didn't mention how many of the 7 open per season (5 are committed to the ACC). So NBC is part of the FOX group broadcasting BIG 10 games AND ND games with BIG 10 teams.

If Dan Patrick is correct ... and he stated 2 weeks ago that this scenario was being negotiated and a real possibility ... the next move could be a counter by the SEC to add Clemson / Miami / FSU and possibly one other.

Advertisement
I think Sankey is looking at this and telling ESPN that this is now their floor. Big 10 just set the market for them to come over the top. This is Monopoly money they are throwing around now!

I think Sankey is looking at this and telling ESPN that this is now their floor. Big 10 just set the market for them to come over the top. This is Monopoly money they are throwing around now!
One of the smart things the BIG10 did with going with multiple partners, besides likely getting more money, they have reduced the bidders for the SEC. Unless Fox, CBS and NBC are willing to bid on the SEC too, the SEC is left only negotiating with ESPN. If you are ESPN and you have no competition, why would you give the SEC the same as the BIG10?

Now maybe those networks would be willing to take on SEC games as well or maybe Amazon/Netflix/Apple get involved, but on the surface it looks like ESPN now has leverage of the SEC.

Advertisement
One of the smart things the BIG10 did with going with multiple partners, besides likely getting more money, they have reduced the bidders for the SEC. Unless Fox, CBS and NBC are willing to bid on the SEC too, the SEC is left only negotiating with ESPN. If you are ESPN and you have no competition, why would you give the SEC the same as the BIG10?

Now maybe those networks would be willing to take on SEC games as well or maybe Amazon/Netflix/Apple get involved, but on the surface it looks like ESPN now has leverage of the SEC.
To borrow finance language, B1G is using a diversified portfolio strategy (both in terms of teams and networks), while the SEC is using a blue-chip strategy. Both can win, but longer-term, B1G would seem to be better positioned to weather the ups/downs of market dynamics and also has the ability now to expand their reach far beyond a single geographic region. Long-term, that seems like a more sustainable strategy, not unlike the NFL's.

didnt the sec just redo their deal when OU and Texas joined?

big 10s deal was able to be renegotiated bc of the USC, UCLA additions and it may have been expiring as well.

SEC can redo when they expand again I believe same with b 10 and most other conferences (ACC too)

I just need to see us get out of the tv deal with ACC-ESPN and then b10 me

To borrow finance language, B1G is using a diversified portfolio strategy (both in terms of teams and networks), while the SEC is using a blue-chip strategy. Both can win, but longer-term, B1G would seem to be better positioned to weather the ups/downs of market dynamics and also has the ability now to expand their reach far beyond a single geographic region. Long-term, that seems like a more sustainable strategy, not unlike the NFL's.
Makes sense given the academic advantages of the B1G vs SEC institutions…

Advertisement
Back