MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

they'll tell ACC to kick rocks lol. the b10 will lsnatch up the other sports in hopes ND will join on in football later on down the line. ND also has their football rights up for the market soon and that helps them even more.
I agree they would tell the ACC to kick rocks. I don't believe the Big 10 would snatch up their other sports, however. They actually have pride as a conference and frankly, don't really need ND. They are forecast to get $100 million per team without them. ND would have to go the Big East route until they gave in.

Advertisement
Remember when the National pundits were claiming Miami's AD search was a chaotic mess? All the while we were finalizing terms with Radakovich.

Moral of the story is ignore the purposely misleading "leaks".
Everything was quiet and all teh media talking heads were freaking out and speculating cause nobody was talking.....sounds like now

It doesn't have to be Duke, uva, etc. But there could be easily a combination if 5 teams leaving to those two conferences. A few more teams get better deals to another conference and the ACC is essentially dead.

With regards to NC state, i might be in the minority, but actually think they are a good fit for the SEC, assuming unc goes to the big 10.

I think the SEC and big 10 will end up at at least 18 teams each, if not 20.
I think NCSU fits with the SEC too but the NC legislature will force UNC/NCSU to be paired together.

maybe there is another path. I do think it will be three league super conference's. As is now, there's 2-4 schools in each conference (SEC, Big10, ACC) that carry the conference.

If ACC is to remain they need to re-negotiate TV deal with new terms & add teams. ND is the obvious, and even though geographically not in line, the big schools like Oregon in the pac, maybe a cincy or MD.
ACC will either go mega or watch the Big12/SEC/B1G cherry pick from them. SEC/B1G have zero incentive to do anything until said ACC school agrees to buy themselves out of the GoR deal, or until they see that the required amount of teams have handshake agreements that they will leave the conference simultaneously to void the GoR, thus dissolving the ACC as we know it.

It's not a far stretched idea at all to the top 7-8 teams threatening to leave as a means to leverage the ACC to negotiate a buyout of the GoR. Problem lies with the schools that aren't power brands...will they have a safe landing spot that's equal to or better than their position (earnings/$$$) with the ACC. IMO there's only 6 teams that can legitimately make a case for leaving and feel good about landing with the P2...Miami-Clemson-FSU-UNC-Duke-UVA-Pitt and likely Louisville. That's all you need. Wild Card is ND who technically is tied to the ACC...They can and will take someone's spot when they decide, maybe Duke or UVA...likely sending Duke to Ivy League or as an Independent.

ACC is going to need to aggressively try to add Oregon-Wash-Utah-Baylor-OKST-Cincy-UCF-SMU. And do it fast.

Advertisement
Hitting 8 teams seems like the play then, and I can't believe there wouldn't be enough AD's on board.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pac tried to focus more out west if the remaining members want to stay together - schools like San Diego state, boise state, Reno, UNLV, Utah state etc could get looks.

I think our key player in this is the big 12. B12 should be looking to add like 8-9 teams teams once Texas/OU bounce and the new g5 schools join to get themselves up closer to 20 like the SEC/B1G if they don't want to be a football afterthought. I could see several acc teams fitting in that conference. Seems a pretty easy sell behind closed doors to schools like Louisville/GA Tech/Va Tech/NC St to start sniffing around now so they don't get left behind if UM/FSU/UNC/Clem leaving is inevitable.

Just gotta sell to a few ADs in the middle of the conference that this is the time to make the play, since getting left out of the shuffle will surely cost them millions long term.

As the ESPN guy said, you have to find a home for 8 teams. Not that easy.

But what good does it do ESPN to have media rights to a conference that becomes irrelevant? If suddenly nobody cares about the ACC then it's going to hurt ESPN financially. ESPN also needs the SEC to be the obviously better conference to take away viewers from the BIG10 on Saturdays. You do that by compiling as many premier teams as possible. The SEC adding Miami, FSU, and Clemson puts them in a league by themselves.

Nothing really makes sense right now, given the obvious end game here.

I find the argument that the ACC is going to become irrelevant a pointless one. If the conference actually does become irrelevant then you'll easily find 8 teams to dissolve it. Nobody is going to sit around in a dying conference and schools like Miami, Clemson, and FSU aren't going to let Syracuse or NC State prevent them from making millions.

Bingo. If the ACC big dogs need to throw some money at Wake or Syracuse to get to 8 teams they’ll do it

The David Hale twitter thread leaves out so many critical components to the “onion”

I’ve said it before, ACC big dogs are not just gonna ride out the current deal in fear of the GOR terms. It’s not iron clad and there is way too much money being left in the table between Big Ten and SEC tv deals

Hale loses all credibility when he asserts that the next real round of expansion could be 8 years away. It'll be less than 8 months away despite whatever narrative he's being fed from conference headquarters in that sprawling metropolis of Greensboro, NC. Propaganda can't even leave that place without a connecting flight.

Advertisement
Andy staples went on pardon my take today, some cliff notes, most is already known.

Notre dame can go anywhere it wants (no ****) but he’s sees them joining the big 10. No chance they join ACC, agin not ground breaking.

North Carolina and Virginia wanted to by SEC and big 10.

He believes the big 12 is in a good position to be the third conference and eventually sees them poaching the pac 10 and then the ACC if the grant of rights is broken.

Says the ACC screwed up as bad as humanly possible in the past 10 years.

Did not mention Miami at all in the realignment process. Only mentioned, Clemson and Florida state consistently and then North Carolina, Virginia, and Virginia tech.

Miami and Clemson need to kick @ss this year, play a great conf champ game and then start sending nudes to the big ten conference

Flirting with big ten/FOX will be critical

I think we’ll be okay and get into 1 of the 2. Miami is a money maker for television. We won’t be left to die in a conference USA type deal

Advertisement
Jim Phillips, the ACC commissioner, did exactly that after that season without a clear answer.

Basically, ND ****ed the ACC and they will probably do it all over again when they will leave for the B1G or simply stay put.

That was all Swofford. Phillips didn't take over until last year. Everything that has let to where the ACC is now happened under Swofford's watch.

Hale loses all credibility when he asserts that the next real round of expansion could be 8 years away. It'll be less than 8 months away despite whatever narrative he's being fed from conference headquarters in that sprawling metropolis of Greensboro, NC. Propaganda can't even leave that place without a connecting flight.

Hale is a total putz and ACC shill, spouting the ESPN party line that the GOR is unbreakable, the schools are stuck, blah, blah, blah.

Hey dumbas$, instead of talking to your buddy Jim Phillips or some friendly athletic director (neither of whom are privy to the decision-making process), why don't you set up an interview with one of the the bigwigs at ESPN who actually are sitting at the negotiating table?

Oh that's right, they won't bother talking to rank-and-file reporters, especially while they're trying to hammer out a deal.

Hale will know what's going on about the same time the rest of us do.

Last edited:
Hale is a total putz and ACC shill, spouting the ESPN party line that the GOR is unbreakable, the schools are stuck, blah, blah, blah.

Hey dumbas$, instead of talking to your buddy Jim Phillips or some friendly athletic director (neither of whom are privy to the decision-making process), why don't you set up an interview with one of the the bigwigs at ESPN who actually are sitting at the negotiating table?

Oh that's right, they won't bother talking to rank-and-file reporter, especially while they're trying to hammer out a deal.

Hale will know what's going on about the same time the rest of us do.
He’s butt buddies with Andrea Addelson…. That’s all you need to know

Advertisement
Thanks for the info.

If this is true that the SEC wants to stick at 16 schools, the Big 10 is going to wait out ND before expanding further, and the ACC is basically locked in place until after 2030, why not negotiate a new deal for the ACC/Big 12/PAC 10 as a whole? The TV prices will be set by the SEC deal (already signed) and the Big 10 deal (to be announced soon). Set it up so each conference plays 8 game conference schedules, with 1 OOC game with one partner conference, and 1 OOC game with the other partner conference.

This would allow coast to coast games for the TV inventory, for recruiting purposes it would mean games on the West Coast every other year and Texas/Midwest every other year, and would keep us within at least shouting distance of the $100 million per year likes of the Big 10 and SEC.

Miami, FSU, Clemson, VT, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU, Washington, Oregon, and Stanford is a pretty decent listing of schools who have had top 10 runs over the past 20 years as well as playoff appearances.

Big 10 or SEC would of course be preferred, but if they are standing pat for a while, need to do something to bring in more TV revenue.

Last edited:
He’s butt buddies with Andrea Addelson…. That’s all you need to know

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 2.31.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 2.35.13 PM.png

Andy staples went on pardon my take today, some cliff notes, most is already known.

Notre dame can go anywhere it wants (no ****) but he’s sees them joining the big 10. No chance they join ACC, agin not ground breaking.

North Carolina and Virginia wanted to by SEC and big 10.

He believes the big 12 is in a good position to be the third conference and eventually sees them poaching the pac 10 and then the ACC if the grant of rights is broken.

Says the ACC screwed up as bad as humanly possible in the past 10 years.

Did not mention Miami at all in the realignment process. Only mentioned, Clemson and Florida state consistently and then North Carolina, Virginia, and Virginia tech.
He mentioned Miami a lot of times during his latest podcast with Ari Wasserman.

Advertisement
Back