MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

I'd be surprised if the B10 didn't go all out for UNC. Like the Remaining PAC schools seem like they just straight up wouldn't fit in the SEC regardless. So I don't think the B10 would have any competition for Washington, Oregon, Stanford, or Cal if they want them. So there really isn't any rush for them to add there.

The B12 really doesn't have anybody the B10 or SEC really would want.

That only leaves the ACC. And UNC is probably the school (along with us honestly) that fits both conferences very well. If they were historically better at football they'd probably be right there with or even above ND. But just from the competitive aspect of realignment they seems like they're the team both will fight for. Cause Its not like the B10 is gunna fight for FSU. Don't think the SEC would fight for Duke. Both would probably want UVA, but not as much as UNC... VTech should fit both well, but think the SEC would actually like them more than the B10 would..

Agree with almost all of this. The only part I am not sure about is if VT survives this at all. It will depend on how big the P2 decide they want to get. Does VT really add anything? Are they worth diluting the pot some more? UNC and UVA are the battlegrounds IMO. Maybe Clemson too, especially as Clemson would make sense geographically to the B1G if UNC and UVA came in, and they could hurt the SEC, maybe.

I get why Miami *could* make sense for the B1G as well because they seem so intent on dominating the major media markets. The geography doesn't make a lot of sense, but it makes more sense than USC/UCLA, that's for sure. I still think Miami to the SEC, unless they decide they want to try kill us instead. How many friends does UF have? That might be the question.

Advertisement
Baylor needs a seat at the table. Both football and basketball programs are "new $$" but should be attractive options and $$$ generators.

OKST is a rung down from Baylor so they may get left out.
It's about expansion of cable markets to increase pay out to the SEC and Big 10 networks. With UT and aTm, Texas is already covered. Are you thinking Big 10? Baylor to Big 10 is inconceivable as is Ok State.

Agree with almost all of this. The only part I am not sure about is if VT survives this at all. It will depend on how big the P2 decide they want to get. Does VT really add anything? Are they worth diluting the pot some more? UNC and UVA are the battlegrounds IMO. Maybe Clemson too, especially as Clemson would make sense geographically to the B1G if UNC and UVA came in, and they could hurt the SEC, maybe.

I get why Miami *could* make sense for the B1G as well because they seem so intent on dominating the major media markets. The geography doesn't make a lot of sense, but it makes more sense than USC/UCLA, that's for sure. I still think Miami to the SEC, unless they decide they want to try kill us instead. How many friends does UF have? That might be the question.
Louisville, Wake, BC, Pitt, and Syracuse imo will get left out and will be joining the B12 or demoted. .... Though Louisville is interesting because they have a great basketball program and actually spend quite a lot on Athletics in general. But no shot at B10 academically which I think eliminates them - SEC doesn't need them and Kentucky. Pitt also theoretically actually fits the B10 decently well, but I just can't see them making it in unless the SEC really gets UNC, UVA, etc. Even then I don't see it.

NCST, GTech, Duke, and VTech are the 4 that are borderline I could see joining if the B10/SEC are wanting to get to the 24 team range. IF it's just 20, they're probably out. Duke Is the one I think where there only hope is B10. And I think it makes sense for them to join especially if the B10 gets UNC and UVA - would make it by far best basketball conference by a wide margin. If B10 got UNC, would I be surprised to see SEC wanting NCST? no. Same with UVA going to B10 and SEC maybe then wanting VTech. And GTech is right there with VTech as well

Miami, Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA are the 5 Schools I think will definitely get into the SEC/B10 at some point. I just can't see B10 adding FSU no matter what. The others have options with both conferences imo.

A big problem really is that the B10 has a **** of a lot of schools that they could add (that really fit) while the SEC seems like there are a very limited selection that they'd care to add at all.

B10 - ND, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Cal, Colorado?, Kansas?, UNC, UVA, Duke, Miami, VTech, GTech, Pitt.... and Clemson possibly too.

SEC - Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, UVA, VTech, GTech.... and thats it? Which even if they landed them all that puts them at 23 - which I doubt they'll do.

Makes me think SEC is going to be just 20 or 22 max. And would the B10 really go to 24 or 26 if SEC is only at 20? B10 may heavily depend if they want to sacrifice athletics a bit for academics - the school presidents would collectively **** themselves at the thought of adding Stanford, ND, Cal, UNC, UVA, and Duke.... I mean that would be really ******* awesome academically. Makes me think it's gunna happen. But then Do I see Stanford and Cal getting in over Washington and Oregon when they are far better athletically (I guess as long as we're not talking olympic sports and ****...)... idk.

Louisville, Wake, BC, Pitt, and Syracuse imo will get left out and will be joining the B12 or demoted. .... Though Louisville is interesting because they have a great basketball program and actually spend quite a lot on Athletics in general. But no shot at B10 academically which I think eliminates them - SEC doesn't need them and Kentucky. Pitt also theoretically actually fits the B10 decently well, but I just can't see them making it in unless the SEC really gets UNC, UVA, etc. Even then I don't see it.

NCST, GTech, Duke, and VTech are the 4 that are borderline I could see joining if the B10/SEC are wanting to get to the 24 team range. IF it's just 20, they're probably out. Duke Is the one I think where there only hope is B10. And I think it makes sense for them to join especially if the B10 gets UNC and UVA - would make it by far best basketball conference by a wide margin. If B10 got UNC, would I be surprised to see SEC wanting NCST? no. Same with UVA going to B10 and SEC maybe then wanting VTech. And GTech is right there with VTech as well

Miami, Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA are the 5 Schools I think will definitely get into the SEC/B10 at some point. I just can't see B10 adding FSU no matter what. The others have options with both conferences imo.

A big problem really is that the B10 has a **** of a lot of schools that they could add (that really fit) while the SEC seems like there are a very limited selection that they'd care to add at all.

B10 - ND, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Cal, Colorado?, Kansas?, UNC, UVA, Duke, Miami, VTech, GTech, Pitt.... and Clemson possibly too.

SEC - Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, UVA, VTech, GTech.... and thats it? Which even if they landed them all that puts them at 23 - which I doubt they'll do.

Makes me think SEC is going to be just 20 or 22 max. And would the B10 really go to 24 or 26 if SEC is only at 20? B10 may heavily depend if they want to sacrifice athletics a bit for academics - the school presidents would collectively **** themselves at the thought of adding Stanford, ND, Cal, UNC, UVA, and Duke.... I mean that would be really ******* awesome academically. Makes me think it's gunna happen. But then Do I see Stanford and Cal getting in over Washington and Oregon when they are far better athletically (I guess as long as we're not talking olympic sports and ****...)... idk.

Louisville has a good chance of joining both B1G/SEC idk how good the academics are but the rivalry with Kentucky is as good as it gets with basketball theyre pretty good in baseball too.... and it looks like they're trying to get to big boy status in football the way their recruiting this year as if they know its an audition like the rest of the conference.

NC State is the sleeper like u mentioned. They're competitive in all three sports as well.

It's about time for the poster to resurface who started the threads"I'm a little worried about (our next opponent)."

Advertisement

If Vag Tech doesn't get an SEC invite I could absolutely see a scenario where Pitt gets the B1G invite before them.

Better recent football success, better media market, better academic school, AAU member, better hoops history, built-in rivalry with Pedo State and probably not much resistance from them over the invite that you might see from Maryland or potential member UVag over a Vag Tech invite.

I've always viewed Vag Tech kind of like K State. Places that had success based largely upon rare coaches that won despite inherent disadvantages of the school (location, etc). I'm very bearish on their longterm prospects as a major program as this new climate emerges at a breakneck speed.

Last edited:

VT barely survived ACC expansion. If it wasn't for a big wig in the Virginia government, they'd still be in the BE. I can't imagine B10/SEC are pining for them, but they might be in play if one of those conferences needs one more team to even things out.

VT barely survived ACC expansion. If it wasn't for a big wig in the Virginia government, they'd still be in the BE. I can't imagine B10/SEC are pining for them, but they might be in play if one of those conferences needs one more team to even things out.

Speaking of State Gov. Heard rumblings about OR & WA trying to pass laws keeping Oregon & Oregon St / Washington & Washington St together. May have seen NC being mentioned to keep UNC & NCST together too.

Speaking of State Gov. Heard rumblings about OR & WA trying to pass laws keeping Oregon & Oregon St / Washington & Washington St together. May have seen NC being mentioned to keep UNC & NCST together too.

Wouldn’t be surprised.

Advertisement
VT is a whole lot of nothing. They’re known as a program that’s never been elite, but has always been “kinda good.” They’re only one of two P5 programs in the country to never win a team national championship in any sport. It’s embarrassing. If you talked to VT people and knew nothing about football, you’d assume that they were a behemoth of a program.

It’s basically a fake it till you make it mentality, but the faking has been going on for half a century.

He paints a VERY dark scenario for Miami (and for every ACC program) tbh.

Basically, the GOR is unbreakable (just because no one had publicly tried to break it? Mmm) and ACC teams are stuck with a conference that in a couple of years will be a glorified G5 compared to the money B1G and SEC will make.

It looks that the only doable way out is that 50% or more of the ACC teams leave at the same time.

Basically, the GOR is unbreakable (just because no one had publicly tried to break it? Mmm) and ACC teams are stuck with a conference that in a couple of years will be a glorified G5 compared to the money B1G and SEC will make.

It looks that the only doable way out is that 50% or more of the ACC teams leave at the same time.
Don’t know how accurate the breakdown is, but this would be a bad situation. However, if Miami, Clemson, and FSU, alone, threatened to go nuclear on the ACC and gear up for a huge legal battle, the conference may be more willing to let us go. I doubt the Tobacco Road mafia would want it’s three most prestigious programs to air all their dirty laundry.

Last edited:
Advertisement

its dark but its a realistic way to look at it and brings this entire thread down to earth a bit. its going to take a were all leaving scenario to get out of the GoR and hes right in that not all 8 teams will have a home. he did say that teams have looked into getting out but no one has found a plausible way to challenge it

also makes sense that no conf would be willing to take on an ACC school if they can't get their tv rights

Don’t know how accurate the breakdown is, but this would be a bad situation. However, if Miami, Clemson, and FSU, alone, threatened to go nuclear on the ACC and gear up for a huge legal battle, the conference may be more willing to let us go. I doubt the Tobacco Road mafia would want it’s three most prestigious programs from airing all their dirty laundry.
I hope he is not accurate at all, that guy is mainly an ACC reporter if I'm not mistaken so there's that.

Don’t know how accurate the breakdown is, but this would be a bad situation. However, if Miami, Clemson, and FSU, alone, threatened to go nuclear on the ACC and gear up for a huge legal battle, the conference may be more willing to let us go. I doubt the Tobacco Road mafia would want it’s three most prestigious programs to air all their dirty laundry.
or they could say thats cool. where's our 500 mill

Advertisement
its dark but its a realistic way to look at it and brings this entire thread down to earth a bit. its going to take a were all leaving scenario to get out of the GoR and hes right in that not all 8 teams will have a home.

also makes sense that no conf would be willing to take on an ACC school if they can't get their tv rights
I don't think that the ACC members will be ready to go down without a fight especially if this will mean nearly a decade of irrelevancy.

I don't think that the ACC members will be ready to go down without a fight especially if this will mean nearly a decade of irrelevancy.

yeh I dont think so either but even if you say well fight it out in court and spend enormous amounts of money in legal fees, there is still NO guarantee you will be able to get access to your rights. a judge could rule against the school and youre stuck in the same scenario. basically, the way out if you dont get 9 teams to say im out is to fight it out first to get out and pray you have an invite from the b10/sec contingent on the ruling. im sure the second part is what's being done behind the scenes now - hey Miami, this is the big 10/sec, if you get out of the GOR, you will be extended an invite. if you can't, enjoy the ACC and no invite.

texas/ou were able to get out bc their GoR was ending soon and their entry into the SEC doenst begin until the b12 rights deal ends. so even they said, nah, well wait it out here until the ned of the GoR

I find the argument that the ACC is going to become irrelevant a pointless one. If the conference actually does become irrelevant then you'll easily find 8 teams to dissolve it. Nobody is going to sit around in a dying conference and schools like Miami, Clemson, and FSU aren't going to let Syracuse or NC State prevent them from making millions.

yeh I dont think so either but even if you say well fight it out in court and spend enormous amounts of money in legal fees, there is still NO guarantee you will be able to get access to your rights. a judge could rule against the school and youre stuck in the same scenario. basically, the way out if you dont get 9 teams to say im out is to fight it out first to get out and pray you have an invite from the b10/sec contingent on the ruling. im sure the second part is what's being done behind the scenes now - hey Miami, this is the big 10/sec, if you get out of the GOR, you will be extended an invite. if you can't, enjoy the ACC and no invite.

texas/ou were able to get out bc their GoR was ending soon and their entry into the SEC doenst begin until the b12 rights deal ends. so even they said, nah, well wait it out here until the ned of the GoR
The ACC teams will be able to do the same approximately in 2032/2033. A decade from now.

Mario has two years to win it all LOL

Advertisement
Back