MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

As much as everyone seems bullish on our prospects, our best position right now is nothing happens. What I hear is we need two years to establish we are not a program that can be left out. Right now we could get left out of a 20 team Big Ten and SEC.
Left out for whom? TV is a huge driver in this.

Who will draw more eyes than us? UNC? UVA? GT? FSU? Clemson now that their luck with QBs could be over?

Advertisement
We better ******* win the ACC this year then. It’ll be straight up embarrassing never to win a title in this **** league

ResizedP_5680a4bf-b3a4-485b-b288-f0c4faa74c8c_72666833708946.gif

From the very beginning (once there was talk of going to the acc) until the very end (once there was talk of leaving the acc)... the football gods were meanies.

ResizedP_df849f8c-625a-4194-a056-7eeb63dd5f6d_73140597116577.gif

As much as everyone seems bullish on our prospects, our best position right now is nothing happens. What I hear is we need two years to establish we are not a program that can be left out. Right now we could get left out of a 20 team Big Ten and SEC.
This isn't going to drag on for two years. The timeline of tv contracts, outside media entities wanting involvement, the desire of the Pac-10/Big 12 to try to save itself and no near endpoint of the ACC GoR will all drive much much sooner realignment.

I think the notion of "proving yourself" on the field sounds reasonable (or even good to those of us optimistic about our immediate future) but I don't think any of that will really matter.

If Utah kicks *** over the next 2 seasons do they all of a sudden become more coveted than a much discussed UNC that might not accomplish anything in that time frame?

This isn't going to drag on for two years. The timeline of tv contracts, outside media entities wanting involvement, the desire of the Pac-10/Big 12 to try to save itself and no near endpoint of the ACC GoR will all drive much much sooner realignment.

I think the notion of "proving yourself" on the field sounds reasonable (or even good to those of us optimistic about our immediate future) but I don't think any of that will really matter.

If Utah kicks *** over the next 2 seasons do they all of a sudden become more coveted than a much discussed UNC that might not accomplish anything in that time frame?

I think program trajectories do factor in somewhat, just not tremendously.

From the perspective of TV contracts, what teams will be interesting and bring in more viewers is more important than who *has* in the past. Ofc the latter is a pretty good hueristic for the former, but FSU for example isn’t looking as hot as a prospect to add as it would have been in 2015.

Advertisement
Baylor needs a seat at the table. Both football and basketball programs are "new $$" but should be attractive options and $$$ generators.

OKST is a rung down from Baylor so they may get left out.

Advertisement
Okay....I'll play.

Who is the Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Wisconsin of the ACC back when Miami joined?
Michigan, PSU, and Wisconsin have 1 national championship combined over the past 30 years.

In the 30 years before we joined the ACC, Pitt, Clemson, and Ga Tech had all claimed national titles (this was during the same time frame that we won 5). One could argue that its actually worse than when we joined the ACC.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Nah, football people understand what's happening. They know we have Mario, who has a 10-year deal and is a guy who just won 12 games at UO, won the Rose Bowl, won the Pac-12 twice and division 3 times in his first four years and has a masters in Sabaning from Alabama. They know that we added Rad and Zo, and that we have now made a major and permanent financial commitment to the AD and football, that we have a 9-figure facilities improvement plan, that we have one of the best staffs in the country and the financial commitment to keep it there, and that we are going to have a top 5 or 6 roster within the next four years. They understand the national draw we are when we are good, and that the Miami media market is becoming more valuable by the minute. They are professionals. They can project.

Me too. Especially since the new SEC will have some things going for it academically and culturally over the old SEC. Texas is a great add. Would love for UNC to come along with Miami and Clemson. It just comes down to sensible geography. Rough travel for all sports (and be assured, we will have to expand our offerings whether we go SEC or B1G) and also what joining a northern conference would do for baseball. Baseball is a very successful and important part of our history.
I'd be surprised if the B10 didn't go all out for UNC. Like the Remaining PAC schools seem like they just straight up wouldn't fit in the SEC regardless. So I don't think the B10 would have any competition for Washington, Oregon, Stanford, or Cal if they want them. So there really isn't any rush for them to add there.

The B12 really doesn't have anybody the B10 or SEC really would want.

That only leaves the ACC. And UNC is probably the school (along with us honestly) that fits both conferences very well. If they were historically better at football they'd probably be right there with or even above ND. But just from the competitive aspect of realignment they seems like they're the team both will fight for. Cause Its not like the B10 is gunna fight for FSU. Don't think the SEC would fight for Duke. Both would probably want UVA, but not as much as UNC... VTech should fit both well, but think the SEC would actually like them more than the B10 would..

Advertisement
Back