MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

I am sure Rad’s relationship with Clemson is probably the reason why we are oddly linked with Clemson during this movement. I wouldn’t be surprised if Rad was already looking to leave the ACC at Clemson. Now, with the rise and commitment to Football at Miami, why not leverage Clemson for negotiations?
If we can, behind closed doors, convince enough teams to bolt from the ACC, the conference would implode and we wouldn’t have to pay that exorbitant GOA fee.

Advertisement
**** “ding ding ding” you just won the big stuffed animal prize. I don’t know the why, but yes Clemson is our plus one. What I’ve been hearing
This post might get overlooked because I’m not a known poster but Dan has strong ties to the SEC. Worked at LSU for years and was supposed to get the AD job but got screwed and took the Tech job instead of waiting around longer. He’s been in the ACC since 2007 so I’m sure he knows where the bodies are buried. He’s also pretty close with Saban.

Regardless, he mentored and groomed Clemson’s AD Graham Neff. Was with him at Tech and brought him to Clemson. I have no doubt they are working closely on this.

FSU is fcked though. They are way down on SEC or B10 wish lists.

This post might get overlooked because I’m not a known poster but Dan has strong ties to the SEC. Worked at LSU for years and was supposed to get the AD job but got screwed and took the Tech job instead of waiting around longer. He’s been in the ACC since 2007 so I’m sure he knows where the bodies are buried. He’s also pretty close with Saban.

Regardless, he mentored and groomed Clemson’s AD Graham Neff. Was with him at Tech and brought him to Clemson. I have no doubt they are working closely on this.

It’s a bad time to have no momentum, $$$, or resources. FSU is depending on their brand, alone, when it comes to any conference moves. In Year1 of Mario we’re looking at a 9-11 win team with massive upside. FSU is a 4-6 win team with a ceiling.

Advertisement
If we can, behind closed doors, convince enough teams to bolt from the ACC, the conference would implode and we wouldn’t have to pay that exorbitant GOA fee.
The posts on the Minnesota website mentioned a 100% vote of all members to get out of the Agreement. I don’t see that happening as some of these teams will not have a lifeline to the SEC or B1G. We might be best suited to negotiate a buyout over time. My thinking is that if the conference tv deals for the SEC and the B1G are huge, we could be paying the ACC off easily and then start coming out ahead maybe 5 or 6 years down the road.

I’m really hoping we go to the B1G between them and the SEC. I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it. We saw how it was under Tobacco Road Rule. The SEC will be even worse to us and more biased. These confederate schools would love to lock us down. People think stuff like us getting Mauigoa today or Wayne possibly in a week will make these guys want to help us beat Alabama, UGA, UF, Tennessee, LSU… any of them… even more???

**** no. They’ll set up rules we have to follow that take away our advantages in favor of the good ole boys. We’d be walking into an ambush. I’d rather take my chances on the B1G.

It’s a bad time to have no momentum, $$$, or resources. FSU is depending on their brand, alone, when it comes to any conference moves. In Year1 of Mario we’re looking at a 9-11 win team with massive upside. FSU is a 4-6 win team with a ceiling.
It’s a **** shame. Miami-FSU is an historic rivalry that needs to be maintained at all hazards. However, the Administration is at a point where they’ve got to look out for #1 or they’ll be left behind. Rad has no choice but to move before Notre Dame does. And he can’t afford to bring FSU along.

that’s not how any of this works. vtech is a beggar in this

Would be a pretty good fit in a lot of ways for the SEC.

Used to work with a girl who worked in the Athletic Department of WVU when they made their presentation to the SEC. They ALMOST convinced the SEC to take them, they had some very strong numbers and demographics.

VaTech is a cleaner version of WVU, in a bigger and better and wealthier state.

Advertisement

The only thing that helps F$U is their past history. Other than that, they are not nearly as desirable as they think they are.

Would be a pretty good fit in a lot of ways for the SEC.

Used to work with a girl who worked in the Athletic Department of WVU when they made their presentation to the SEC. They ALMOST convinced the SEC to take them, they had some very strong numbers and demographics.

VaTech is a cleaner version of WVU, in a bigger and better and wealthier state.
I think the SEC would be interested in VT.

Post more!

Advertisement
Let’s say for arguments sake, we’re the first announced school to move out of the ACC this August.
We explore these financing arrangements to buy out GoR which is said to be in the 100s of millions.
What if 12-18 months from August, we’re still in ACC but 7+ Other schools have made their intentions to move and reaches the 8 vote threshold.
Do we have to pay?

Let’s say for arguments sake, we’re the first announced school to move out of the ACC this August.
We explore these financing arrangements to buy out GoR which is said to be in the 100s of millions.
What if 12-18 months from August, we’re still in ACC but 7+ Other schools have made their intentions to move and reaches the 8 vote threshold.
Do we have to pay?
Nope. I made a comment in another thread last week: we don’t have to leave to make the house of cards collapse, we just have to behave as if we are.

Let assume both Big Ten/SEC both stop at 24 teams piece. What happens to other 70 somthing teams, bowl games, ncaa tournament?
Our both conference just playing 12 game conference schedule. How does that effect the school like fiu, fau, cookman and famu??

Advertisement
Do we have to pay?
I think the play is to reach agreement with the new conference first and then announce the intent to join by 2026 instead of actually joining now (so that the GOR/buyout payment is minimized). We should go to the conference that offers the highest annual payout from the TV contract and has the greatest odds at surviving in this ever-evolving landscape. Vandy is a quality academic institution and they are in the SEC. I think Miami fits best in the SEC as long as we're convinced we won't get the "Tobacco Road" treatment in that conference.

It was actually critical for our Admin to nail the Mario hire as the "haves" are going to dominate the "have-nots" going forward in the arms race. The disparity in annual payouts from the conferences will be very large. These decisions won't just impact football programs but rather entire athletic departments & campuses as the annual payouts are significant. This was a really good time to rekindle the Miami brand & make us a serious player again on the national scene.

The posts on the Minnesota website mentioned a 100% vote of all members to get out of the Agreement. I don’t see that happening as some of these teams will not have a lifeline to the SEC or B1G. We might be best suited to negotiate a buyout over time. My thinking is that if the conference tv deals for the SEC and the B1G are huge, we could be paying the ACC off easily and then start coming out ahead maybe 5 or 6 years down the road.

I’m really hoping we go to the B1G between them and the SEC. I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it. We saw how it was under Tobacco Road Rule. The SEC will be even worse to us and more biased. These confederate schools would love to lock us down. People think stuff like us getting Mauigoa today or Wayne possibly in a week will make these guys want to help us beat Alabama, UGA, UF, Tennessee, LSU… any of them… even more???

**** no. They’ll set up rules we have to follow that take away our advantages in favor of the good ole boys. We’d be walking into an ambush. I’d rather take my chances on the B1G.
What’s the downside of the B1G besides the money as compared to the SEC?

More cold weather games? Travel?

I’d rather be in a conference where you have four strong teams that have the resources to compete for a playoff spot and be treated better than the SEC where 80% of conference believes they should be competing in the playoffs. I think they will eventually cannibalize themselves and the super conference idea will backfire.

Once Saban retires, Bama will drop a little. Plus with the rise of Miami, USC and maybe Texas Bama and UGA won’t feast on recruits where they have five stars and high four stars sitting on the bench for a couple of years. There won’t be enough talent to support those teams where their third string could beat most of the top 25.

I agree with you that there is no way the current SEC teams would look at us favorably.

Say more. I didn’t see your message from last week.
This is theoretical, but we don’t need to collapse the league by actually leaving, we just need to create instability by announcing that we are. That instability will inevitably result in other schools jumping ship as well, which moves us closer to 1) Getting out of the GR entirely by the conference collapsing (unlikely, IMO) or 2) having multiple other schools who leave and are thus willing and able to negotiate down the GR as a bloc (much more feasible). We announce that we’re leaving and the conference will implode, albeit over the next year or two.

To the original question, once the ACC is dissolved or greatly diminished in negotiating power, we either pay a lesser fee or none at all. Once the conference is defunct, who would we pay?

I recognize that everything I just said was delivered in the coldest, most clinical terms possible. I reiterate that I hate all of this, but nonetheless that’s the path forward.

Advertisement
Back