MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
All technically true.

But if the ACC loses its top 4-6 teams, then ESPN is going to invoke the clause that covers whether a "new ACC" has the same value as the "old ACC", so let's not try to convince ourselves that the ACC will get anywhere near the same money without the beest teams.

But you are correct, a negotiated settlement has the potential to make everyone "75% satisfied". Nobody will get everything they want, but FIRST, someone has to take the first step.

Are you privy as to which firms are representing the ACC regarding TV discussions?

I started researching the players involved with the Big12 deal since that was jointly done with Fox and ESPN.

Looking for clues based on the backgrounds of the decision makers at the table

IMG_5760.png

Apparently a BoT member was found to have been photographing other BoT members in the nude in the gym sauna and showers. He was then selling the images at a booth at South of the Border.

The meeting is just to figure out how to keep the whole thing quiet without police intervention and to not make a fuss that said BoT member is now a BoT member at Arkansas.

1691604825082.png

Advertisement

IF that is true (who knows where @Genetics is getting THAT insight from) it would certainly conflict with the earlier CIS thought that had ND as an ally in a potential vote of 8 programs to dissolve. So the "group of 8" just got smaller ... and UNC also appears to be pretty definitive in "protecting the conference". Another extreme view is that ND will join the ACC along with Stanford, Cal, SMU. Makes no sense.

Advertisement
IF that is true (who knows where @Genetics is getting THAT insight from) it would certainly conflict with the earlier CIS thought that had ND as an ally in a potential vote of 8 programs to dissolve. So the "group of 8" just got smaller ... and UNC also appears to be pretty definitive in "protecting the conference". Another extreme view is that ND will join the ACC along with Stanford, Cal, SMU. Makes no sense.
But why? Who's happy getting half what other conferences get?

Again with the caveat if all of these things are true... the math could have changed for ND. They supposedly have their $65M from NBC deal and I assume they are getting a piece of the ACC revenue? Why not keep that and have the ACC revenue go up with more teams? They get the best of both worlds.

the ACC isn't surviving as is.. there's nothing out there to close the revenue gap between the contenders in the ACC and the SEC/B1G...

Whhaaaaat? You mean that the additions of Stanford-Cal and whoever else won't be worth at least $710 million ($35M per team for 2 teams, plus another $40M per year for 16 teams to take us to Big 10/SEC territory on the conference payouts)?

This is shocking. Shocking I tell you...

Does anyone know why San Diego State is always left out of conference discussions? Is it academic reasons or other? They’re in a big market with good recruiting

Mostly academic. Big difference between "Cal" schools (UC-Insert City Here) and "Cal State" schools.

UC schools are academic and do research and have great rankings.

Cal State schools just hand out diplomas, for the most part (I mean, very little grad and/or research).

Advertisement
Even beyond that, they have a long history to fall back on with a large alumni base that supports them come **** or high water. Them being able to remain independent in football and thrive speaks volumes to their brand recognition.
Ummm...Notre Dame has a smaller undergrad population than Miami. They're the very definition of a small, private school.

Mostly academic. Big difference between "Cal" schools (UC-Insert City Here) and "Cal State" schools.

UC schools are academic and do research and have great rankings.

Cal State schools just hand out diplomas, for the most part (I mean, very little grad and/or research).
Gotcha. It’s a better school than UL but would be second worst in ACC.

I think if we take Cal, Stanford, and SMU SDSU could become a huge asset to the conference once it becomes P5.

Make those four a pod.

I’d prefer to leave the ACC but if we’re stuck may as well make it as competitive as we can.

Advertisement

as of the hiring of Radakovich the Athletics department was elevated to one of the 4 pillars at the University of Miami and Radakovich was made a Vice President..

athletics is more important than ever at Miami and they understand the value of a healthy sports brand for the overall University growth...

Mario needs to win...

1691606708066.png

1691606667650.png

BIG change in tune of the people I talk to and their outlook for Miami in all of this in the last week. Originally it appeared Miami was leading the pack in leaving the ACC. Also, I was told months ago by 1 person that if the B1G shifted to Oregon and Washington it would put the nail in Miami's coffin and right around then it all changed. I don't know why that is or why that was the caveat.

I'm very concerned.

Edit: Not even the last week. The last 3 days

The Washington-Oregon situation wasn't really "well, there are only two slots left", but it changed the dynamics of whether you could pay a half-share or a full-share.

Before 10 days ago, nobody even considered offering "schools with less leverage" half the money.

Today? Errrrbody getting desperate for those Titanic lifeboats...

Advertisement
Back