MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Hard to imagine any conference pulling the trigger when they might be adding a team that has no broadcast rights for home games. Can they still pay an ACC school that moves a partial share with the school keeping THAT money while ESPN broadcasts the home games?

1691443220664.png

Advertisement
They are looking at selling equity not taking on debt is my understanding. Selling equity in what is the question.
From my understanding they would be selling equity in their media revenue. So the extra profit that would come from joining a conference like the B1G or SEC would be gobbled up by the investor. The school doesnt benefit financially, it would only be for the optics.

TFWIW

I was talking with a local attorney who is friends with a guy named McGuire at Clemson. He was told that Georgia Tech right now is deciding about being the 8th vote needed to dissolve the ACC.

Prob just people yapping but is it possible that Ga Tech is holding things up?

I don't think they are "holding things up".

But I have said that they COULD make it into the Big 10 if the SEC snatches a few ACC teams.

And you'd **** sure bet that the Big 12 would take GaTech to mollify UCF and WVU.

Advertisement

1) Does it matter? I don't know what the rules are for conference expansion, but do they need those 4 schools if they have the others (particularly ones that are afraid of having no decent options if the ACC goes away).

2) There is no way they are going to make the GOR more restrictive than it already is so if you are talking about letting those schools in and increasing the revenue to all of the teams, even if I am planning to bolt I would take that extra money until I do.

Unless.... adding those teams will make it harder to dissolve the ACC (if that is the play that schools are going for).

If they do let them in, they should make it for Football (and maybe basketball) only.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. But I still think Stanford is more desirable than GTech. And unless gaining new state is materially better than getting the best academic school in the country (that plays major football), a school with a far better athletic department in every way, and a school that gets better football ratings…I guess they would be over Stanford. I just doubt that’s the case.

Like why did the Big10 add UCLA once they got USC?
BiG10 gets a bump every time they add a new state. I dont recall the amount.

Advertisement
I was refuting the other poster who said MARKET size matters. I agree Rutgers and Maryland are not hot beds for college football fans, but if you think Atlanta falls into that same category, I don't know what to say. Atlanta is #7 and GA is a hot bed for college football fans...it goes beyond whether GA Tech is a good football program.

We can agree to disagree at this point. I hope we go to the Big 10, but realistically I think we go to the Big 12. Hope I'm wrong

Everything you said is correct except the Big 12 part.

Advertisement
Advertisement
1) Does it matter? I don't know what the rules are for conference expansion, but do they need those 4 schools if they have the others (particularly ones that are afraid of having no decent options if the ACC goes away).

2) There is no way they are going to make the GOR more restrictive than it already is so if you are talking about letting those schools in and increasing the revenue to all of the teams, even if I am planning to bolt I would take that extra money until I do.

Unless.... adding those teams will make it harder to dissolve the ACC (if that is the play that schools are going for).

If they do let them in, they should make it for Football (and maybe basketball) only.
It actually does matter. By allowing the conversation to go forward, FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, amd Joe-Bagga-Donuts U free themselves of "you wouldnt even listen as we tried to save ACC".

In fact, I believe it gives them more ammunition alá U-DubU style, to walk away..."we listened and ACC brings us this garbage...we outta here *******..."

In 2017, Miami had:

- 4th highest viewership as far as bowl games are concerned, only falling behind the 2 semi's and national championship game.
- 6 weeks in the top 5 for viewership all of which came between Week 6 - Week 13. In fact, we finished top 5 in viewers every week from Week 10 - Week 13. Alabama had 8 weeks in top 5. Ohio State had 7. Georgia had 6 (same as us). We were amongst the most watched programs that season.
- Week 13: Miami vs Pitt had more viewers than Clemson vs South Carolina and Florida vs FSU.
- Week 12: Miami vs Virginia had higher viewership than LSU vs Tennessee, Navy vs Notre Dame, Illinois vs Ohio State, Texas vs West Virginia, Nebraska vs Penn State, Texas A&M vs Ole Miss, among other decent matchups. Mind you...this was also a noon kickoff. Some of those other games were later afternoon or even night game (LSU vs Tenn).
- Week 7: Miami vs GT had 5th highest viewership and more viewers than Clemson vs Syracuse, Ohio State vs Nebraska, Texas A&M vs Florida, FSU vs Duke, South Carolina vs Tennessee.

Long story short, people watch when Miami wins. It's a marquee matchup most weeks. It's a brand that people want to see on TV. Either because they love us. Or they hate us (mostly this).

Most people in media know this. It's why they always have "Is the U Back?" segments after we win a few games in a row.

To think the B1G has no interest in adding the Miami media market or a national brand like The U is crazy. Same for the SEC. What they probably want to see though is a program that can at least be somewhat competitive (finish ranked every year) in order to generate some of that interest. It hasn't happened consistently.

But if Mario can pull this off 2-3 seasons in a row (9-3 type finishes is more than good enough from the media perspective) we instantly become one of the most valuable programs from the media's perspective.
Where did you find this gem of info?

Interesante amigos...

Saturday Down South is borderline an official mouthpiece for SEC.

This tweet was aimed squarely at Big10 HQ...

Thwarts Big10 moving on SEC's Eastern, Southern, and Southwestern flanks.

SEC would be going with our super-region content is more valuable than Big10s coast-to-coast content.

I still think SEC eventually has to look Westward if other teams ever get their act together.

Advertisement
Back