MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
Pac-12 schools had more urgency to move conferences since their new deal was being presented to them and can start next season right away

ACC schools apparently have a mid August deadline to give their notices so they can work together behind the scenes how to leave

Big reason hearing more about Pac-12 movement right now

Just looking forward to ACC imploding next

Fair.

I just think that:
1) Oregon and Washington are taking two spots right now, who knows how many there are left, could be 2 and could be 6, even 10.

2) I’m worried that FSU will move on alone (the private equity thing is interesting) and that the ACC teams are not working together at the moment. Which is the only realistic way out.

Hope I’m wrong and that I’m just having a bad day. Maybe tomorrow I’ll see it differently.
I think worse case is Miami going to the Big 12. Not ideal but not catastrophic.
Narrator- It would be nearly as catastrophic as being in the ACC til 2036 - it's a math equation$$$.

And it is not going to happen

well, id say this - idk if it is enforceable or not. none of us have seen it (or at least i havent so i cant say it is or it isnt). i am sure that all these schools have been billing out cntract lawyers at akerman, HK, etc. to review the agreement to find a loophole or an out. either way, that part i cant comment on. i was only referring to the choice of law as tom mars thought this was some crazy thing (it isnt). we use this often where i work with all of our agreements because theyre always international and out of state agreements. only time we ever end up using the home state law is when the other side just misses it and signs it or both are located in the same state

I'm not disagreeing with you, this may absolutely be your experience.

But I also know that the General Counsel that I worked with at NASCAR frequently flew to various locations to execute contracts in particular states, and we were pretty precise about specifying venue.

Maybe that was a "control" issue, maybe there were valid legal reasons, maybe it is the nature of TV broadcast contracts, but I saw it take place for years.

Advertisement
True to a certain extent, but neither will Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, etc. My opinion it will be #1 and #1A and will probably change year to year.
Agreed in terms of comparison at the very very top of each conference and at the perennial bottom of each. I'm just saying that IF some of these expansion predictions hold that there will just be way more quality in the middle and near the top of the B1G than the SEC- hence my prediction that it'll easily be the much better "overall" conference.

Yeah all we have to go by is pages of people on canes insight saying it’s fine lol sorry that’s not enough.

If Miami is by chance not taken by the Big 10 and we have to say join the Big 12 that’s a program death sentence. Really the SEC new dollars that start soon already make it the haves Vs have nots and I just do not see the SEC getting us there even if Clemson and FSU do end up in the Big 10. UNC and Miami would make ultimate sense but I just don’t know.

Advertisement
Yeah... this whole 'it is not enforceable' take doesn't make sense - or at least not in that it is cut and dry. If FSU, Clemson, Miami, etc were convinced that it was a slam dunk that they could get out, I have to imagine they would have left by now. I could see them possibly believing they have a way out, but they have at least a decent amount of doubt - enough that is not worth them risking losing - and that is why they haven't left yet.

I'll make it simple.

If you DID challenge the GOR, AND you lost...you would have zero leverage. You would pay the max possible to get out of the bear trap.

You guys think the SEC is going to do nothing while the Big 10 adds possibly four teams? ESPN isn't going to let NBC/CBS/FOX have the best conference.

Notice also that Clemson has said absolutely nothing public - do they want to join FSU in the Big 10? Or would they rather join the SEC which is a better fit for them with someone else?

Miami better have a plan. And fast

Miami has AAU membership which opens the door to B1G. Thus, Miami could land at either and is in the top market for recruiting so I can't see them being left out.

History of winning in Football, Baseball, Basketball
Recruiting location
Major market
AAU membership
Willing to spend on athletics

Advertisement
Cane fans, please follow me on twitter. Don't fret. Miami is in the thick of it. Things should pick up now for the ACC schools that the Wash/Oreg saga is over. SEC and ESPN are shell shocked and are having emergency meetings. They are very worried about FSU/Miami/Clemson jumping to the BIG10. If that happens, it will crush the SEC. BIG10 will dominate TV.

Don't worry about your AD. He is fully engaged. The Ruiz saga hit at the wrong time. Thus, Miami needs to stay in the backend. Some of the ACC schools are working together behind the scenes.

BTW, FSU is about to drop the bomb. Please follow also the Big Ten Community on Twitter. I just posted an update from Warchant. Aug 15, key date
Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Advertisement
You guys think the SEC is going to do nothing while the Big 10 adds possibly four teams? ESPN isn't going to let NBC/CBS/FOX have the best conference.

Notice also that Clemson has said absolutely nothing public - do they want to join FSU in the Big 10? Or would they rather join the SEC which is a better fit for them with someone else?
ESPN has no leverage against NBC/CBS/FOX...

but right now we're actually in a position of strength... now that a sense of urgency seems to be created...

there are only a few valuable assets left that will increase value to the Big 2 conferences.. and we're one of those assets..

if the SEC all of a sudden becomes aggressive, we could end up in a position where both the SEC and the B1G want us...

not sure why many of you are worried all of a sudden..

I think taking Oregon and Washington at all shows how aggressive B1G is at expanding.. they're both average brands in the PNW which is very low on the totem pole as far as media value goes..

Miami is a more valuable brand in a more valuable area for media value..
Alll today did was make it clear big10 is in fact going to 24, sooner than later.

Advertisement
Back