MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Wait a **** second. Are some of you saying B1G takes USF over FSU?

Oh Come On GIF

Advertisement
Right.

This is where calinative just needs to shut up/sit down and acknowledge that all of his pro-Oregon advocacy is not supported by the facts.

Most normal people who do this for a liviing would tell you that "value" is determined by the price that a willing buyer would pay.

But so far, NOBODY is paying Oregon its mythical "value" (or at least the value that calinative claims).

And, sure, sure, someone could say "but the ACC is underpaid too". Except for the fact that we now have EVIDENCE that some ACC schools like UM and F$U and Clemson have value to conferences such as the Big 10 and SEC.

While Oregon did not. Or should I say, Oregon only has value to the Big 10 in a 50% discount scenario.

Now we have this convoluted storyline about how Fox SOOOOOOO values Washington and Oregon that they are working behind the scenes to get these SOOOO valuable properties into the Big 10.

Riiiight.

Except for the fact that ALL of the Big 10 media partners (including Fox) already told the Big 10 a year ago that the ACC schools were more valuable.

Good lord...
lol
The great part is it looks like all this may be settled within 2 weeks or so...

I’m not arguing over fsu v miamI, you’re fundamentally wrong that big 10 won’t take fsu should fsu want big 10 over sec but thanks for playing straw-man argument.
I just offer reason my friend.

Sometimes my delivery of es verdad can hurt those of lesser gray matter.

Tú entiendes, meng.

@JeddTheFisch

USF is far better research institution than FSU. its not a surprise FSU got passed up for USF (their science based research is far ahead)
Neither fsu nor Miami NEEDED AAU for this round, it certainly is a plus though and everyone believes fsu is close to getting it. Clemson is also behind on overall academic rankings but climbing and who knows- they still might get a big10 shot when it’s all said and done if the fox guys have their way and if Clemson wants it over sec (which I think is possible if not a likely outcome). Not sure or informed on them conference preference wise beyond being a partner it getting out of the ACC, so not going to act like I am.

Advertisement
There’s a mistake going on here and I don’t know how it does or doesn’t play out because I don’t have any info personally on the latest wrinkle but fox would not be losing Oregon and Washington to the big 12 in theory.

Fox is part of the big 12 contract

There is an argument at Fox and get Oregon and Washington cheaper in the big 12 contract then they could even at a discounted share as part of the Big Ten contract. I legit have no idea what’s going on there specifically, but the misnomer is that ***** with lose them if they don’t bring them to the Big Ten out when they already could also have them potentially if they moved to the big 12. It’s just a big 12 deal is shared with ESPN.

Important to remember this SEC exclusive to ESPN/ABC

Big ten - fox is primary As they own majority of big10 network but it is also CBS and NBC very much similar to an NFL type deal with multiple time slots available across multiple networks

Big 12 deal most closely resembles an NBA deal, but essentially it’s a shared between ESPN in Fox. It’s the one place where those two direct competitors actually come together.
All I'm saying is what he said btw.

Te re pillo.

I have no idea why anyone would want USF over FSU, but I find FSU's rejection muy gracioso.
Tranquillo Bobby...no.one saying USF is in Big10 over FSU.

Only that FSU, at this time does not have an oft speculated critical component to their pedigree for Big10 membership.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Question about the theory of schools coming "cheap" to new conferences as I believe that's going to be a tough sell for some that currently see themselves as the cream of their current conferences:

Do you guys think an Oregon or Washington take a B1G invite if they're permanently "little brother" status and there's no phase-in period to a full share like Rutgers received?

The B1G could* justify this by deeming their current schools (inclusive of USC & UCLA) as getting higher "legacy" shares or even setting up some incentive where the new schools receive a full share if they win the conference or a title. This position would seemingly handcuff them a little when going after the ACC schools that would garner SEC interest and even almighty Notre Dame.

We always (and mostly correctly) look at everything as growth growth growth nationally and with power programs with the B1G but mayyyybe there also isn't an appetite to be handing out full shares left and right- especially with schools that essentially have or will have nowhere else to go?

Buy as always, I digress. Interesting days ahead. See everyone on a Saturday in September in 2025 in Madison to kick off our conference schedule.

I call bs on that. math would be way off. They’d be negative in first few years

edit - maybe the framework of what he is saying is directionally right but his numbers at a minimum don’t make sense in the beginning of the deal
$120M for ACC exit (3x last payout is $39.4*3=$118M) and another $180M for GOR buyout.
Texas and OU paid $100M each to leave a year or two early from their GOR in B12, while we'd be leaving 13 years early. Years ago Maryland paid $31M just in exit fee to leave ACC without a GOR in place.

So I don't entirely think paying $300M is out of the realm of possibility. On one hand It'd be paying 10x more than Maryland did to do the exact same move, and on the other we'd be paying only 3x what Texas/OU did in a more comparable situation but with a GOR that is a decade longer lasting...

I think if it was $300M that would likely mean it is a FULL buyback though, giving ESPN no games. ALSO it is worth considering that if the payments are made in installments, they could leave NOW, and still be hoping that the conference dies within a few years to get out of paying the remainder - at least I'd think. Like If you're paying $30M/yr but then the conference dies after 3 years, you only paid $90M... So if this were how this settlement worked, it COULD actually be cheaper and get you to Big10 even sooner.

Personally $300M is like the max I think it'd be worth it to leave early. But if we're paying that much it better mean we're in the B1G even sooner than 2026 imo.

$120M for ACC exit (3x last payout is $39.4*3=$118M) and another $180M for GOR buyout.
Texas and OU paid $100M each to leave a year or two early from their GOR in B12, while we'd be leaving 13 years early. Years ago Maryland paid $31M just in exit fee to leave ACC without a GOR in place.

So I don't entirely think paying $300M is out of the realm of possibility. On one hand It'd be paying 10x more than Maryland did to do the exact same move, and on the other we'd be paying only 3x what Texas/OU did in a more comparable situation but with a GOR that is a decade longer lasting...

I think if it was $300M that would likely mean it is a FULL buyback though, giving ESPN no games. ALSO it is worth considering that if the payments are made in installments, they could leave NOW, and still be hoping that the conference dies within a few years to get out of paying the remainder - at least I'd think. Like If you're paying $30M/yr but then the conference dies after 3 years, you only paid $90M... So if this were how this settlement worked, it COULD actually be cheaper and get you to Big10 even sooner.

Personally $300M is like the max I think it'd be worth it to leave early. But if we're paying that much it better mean we're in the B1G even sooner than 2026 imo.
Look I think the minute one goes, whatever they ”negotiate“ will rapidly become moot. Other schools will bolt and at some point there will be 8, they will vote to dissolve and then all negotiations start again with stronger hand

Advertisement
Back