MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement

Go back a few years.

I was making arguments for the A&P Conference (Atlantic and Pacific) YEEEEARS ago...

1690484323917.png

It feels like the dam is about to burst. This is what happens with these things. Big 12 knows what it has to do and is making its moves to survive. Who will be the next school to just rip the bandaid off and force the next wave. I don't see it happening, but I really hope it's Miami first. I want to feel the hate again.

1690484502408.png

Advertisement
Right. I'm thinking more leave Pac 12. Worst case only 4 schools left and they might as well join MWC or something.

ACC & Pac 12 just need to dissolve.

Colorado was "farther along" with the Big 12 discussions, and had a long prior history with the Big 12.

This ACC-Pac meeting is, in my opinion, designed to TRY to convince Arizona and Washington and Oregon to remain on-board.

Colorado was "farther along" with the Big 12 discussions, and had a long prior history with the Big 12.

This ACC-Pac meeting is, in my opinion, designed to TRY to convince Arizona and Washington and Oregon to remain on-board.

Yes and probably the desperation move Jim Phillips alluded to yesterday. Too little too late IMO.

Here’s the giant question, which tv or streaming service is going to step up and pay $50mm+ for leftovers?

Creating a new conference is the easy part. Negotiating a tv deal with so many teams in flux is the hard part

Advertisement
Here’s the giant question, which tv or streaming service is going to step up and pay $50mm+ for leftovers?

Creating a new conference is the easy part. Negotiating a tv deal with so many teams in flux is the hard part

I mean...who knows...

All I know is that things keep changing.

Who saw The CW getting involved a year ago (even if their money is small)?

And Apple is making moves into sports.

To me, I think...well, someone was paying for this content two years ago...it's not all just going to disappear...it's got to go somewhere...

Yes, money is tight these days. We are seeing a large differential between the money paid for TOP games, compared to what would be paid for BC-Syracuse. But channels need to fill their time. Advertisers need places to run ads (even ads for the Irish Potato Peeler).

We shall see...

As much as I want to see Florida State fail and die, them coming to the B1G with us is a force multiplier for value for us and the B1G.

Getting Miami alone is great.

But getting Miami with FSU gives them more leverage when negotiating TV rights in the Southeast, a natural annual rivalry in the SE every year, a much bigger foothold in a top 3 population state, and clear ownership of California and at least 50% ownership of Florida.

If the B1G gets UNC also, they would be the premier conference in 8 of the top 10 most populated states. Only missing Texas and Georgia from the top 10.

Florida has to be the B1Gs largest prize that's still available.

That would cement their national reach.
I don't like it when people quote themselves but it's acceptable when I do it.

Advertisement
I mean...who knows...

All I know is that things keep changing.

Who saw The CW getting involved a year ago (even if their money is small)?

And Apple is making moves into sports.

To me, I think...well, someone was paying for this content two years ago...it's not all just going to disappear...it's got to go somewhere...

Yes, money is tight these days. We are seeing a large differential between the money paid for TOP games, compared to what would be paid for BC-Syracuse. But channels need to fill their time. Advertisers need places to run ads (even ads for the Irish Potato Peeler).

We shall see...

My guess is Apple or Amazon. Maybe cbs/paramount

I'm not sure about that. Maybe over all as an academic and athletic conference. But probably not for football.
This is using a random list ranking top football programs of all time: And clearly currently Oregon is the best of all listed here:
Washington
Georgia Tech

Colorado
BYU

Pitt
ASU

TCU
Syracuse
WVU
OKSt

Oregon
Boston College
Cal
Stanford
Utah

Texas Tech
Kansas St
Baylor
Houston

Duke
Arizona
NCSt
WSU
Louisville

Kansas
Oregon St
Wake

Cinci
Iowa St

Advertisement

If that were to happen there's no difference between that and some random intramural league. Just a bunch of leftovers from **** restaurants.

If that were to happen there's no difference between that and some random intramural league. Just a bunch of leftovers from **** restaurants.

Ha!

From a competitive standpoint, you are most probably right. But it would still be SOMETHING for them to hold onto, from an entity and $$$ standpoint.

If the Big 12 keeps grabbing teams, they could get to 20 or more and there would be a Power 3 (from a size and content analysis, even if the SEC and Big 10 are still way ahead on quality).

But if the ACC and Pac can join forces before the Big 12 takes all the best leftovers, then you at least have a CHANCE for a Power 4 (again, solely on "quantity" even if not exactly "quality").

Big 10 and SEC are still the gold standard here, but the Big 14 and the A&P 500 (including basketball-only schools) could be the silver standard.

An ACCxPAC merger even after the top 4-6 teams leave the ACC would be as good or better than B12. They'd both be considered a random IM league when compared to the B1G/SEC.

Though tbh there are more than a handful of B1G/SEC teams that don't deserve to be in a power 2 conference either.

This is all setting up to have a 32 team super conference in like 2030-2040 where the top 32 programs fully are broken off from the NCAA. **** it can work like soccer. Bottom 2 teams get demoted (or maybe if you finish bottom 2 years in a row or whatever), while the 2 best of the next 32 get promoted.... That actually works really well imo.

Advertisement
Back