MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

How much does SECs payout increase with new members? Wonder if they add members if it's a better deal than B10s.... Though I guess it likely entirely depends on which school is added. Though B10 does get the bonus when they enter new states in their deal..

This, as well.

Advertisement
Whoa… they have viewers but Phoenix and Sac aren’t their tv markets. My understanding is that the Big 10 (and SEC for that matter) is most interested in certain markets and the DC area and South Florida markets have more appeal to them than Portland and Corvallis.

Clearly from your stats, Oregon has some appeal beyond its home tv market but I think this is about the home market.

Nah, I’m not sure about that either; I’m just saying UO has a fairly broad fan base & a lot of their games are accessible despite being a PAC-12 team.

Whoa… they have viewers but Phoenix and Sac aren’t their tv markets. My understanding is that the Big 10 (and SEC for that matter) is most interested in certain markets and the DC area and South Florida markets have more appeal to them than Portland and Corvallis.

Clearly from your stats, Oregon has some appeal beyond its home tv market but I think this is about the home market.
Personally I haven't been arguing Oregon > DC/South Florida. I've only been saying Oregon is absolutely in a big enough market to be in the B10. And the fanbase definitely isn't limited to only the state of Oregon. They are likely more popular than Cal/Stanford as far as football is concerned. I feel like Most Cal/Stanford football fans or old and remember watching The Play.... The order when it comes to ranking imo is kinda irrelevant when I'd take Oregon over at least half the programs in the B10 if we were building a conference from scratch today (not including the SEC schools).

Nah, I’m not sure about that either; I’m just saying UO has a fairly broad fan base & a lot of their games are accessible despite being a PAC-12 team.
You don’t think the Big 10 is focused on the home area tv market? That’s the only reason they’d take schools like miami over Oregon right now.

Is the SEC a better football conference? Yes

Will they likely have more playoff teams? Probably

However, if we are going to remove hypotheticals, and compare the Big Ten vs SEC tv contracts, specifically the locked in guaranteed amounts, and the length of the contracts, with shorter being better, than the Big Ten tv deal absolutely destroys the SEC deal

I’m not sure what there is to debate

Also, these are the new figures for The SEC w/ Texas & OU joining

Advertisement
Personally I haven't been arguing Oregon > DC/South Florida. I've only been saying Oregon is absolutely in a big enough market to be in the B10. The order when it comes to ranking imo is kinda irrelevant when I'd take Oregon over at least half the programs in the B10 if we were building a conference from scratch today (not including the SEC schools).
I doubt they kick anyone.

NYC has absolutely nothing to do with the B1G no matter how much money Rutgers spends on marketing at Newark Airport.

NYC leads with ND, and then is a giant mis-mash of every major program in America. Rutgers isn't even the most popular B1G team in NYC lol. Michigan.
NYC:
1. NFL
2. MLB
3. NBA
4. NHL
5. Golf
6. CFB

I think it's going to be hilarious when the SEC makes the big move of adding Notre Dame. Now that would shake some **** up, considering everyone is just assuming ND goes to the B10. I get culturally ND doesn't fit, but that would be wild. SEC adding Texas and ND would make them undisputed Realignment champs regardless who else the B10 added.

Is the SEC a better football conference? Yes

Will they likely have more playoff teams? Probably

However, if we are going to remove hypotheticals, and compare the Big Ten vs SEC tv contracts, specifically the locked in guaranteed amounts, and the length of the contracts, with shorter being better, than the Big Ten tv deal absolutely destroys the SEC deal

I’m not sure what there is to debate

Both have tv deals that are light years better than the acc. They will probably trade spots a couple times over the next 15 years when it's time to renegotiate. I think the path to a conference title is going to easier through the B1G.

Funny that years ago when the SEC invited UM, we snubbed them because the UM brass thought they were dumb hicks. Fast forward 20+ years... Not sure where undergrad ranks, but with law school rankings, a whole lot of SEC schools are way above UM now (UGA is top 25, Bama is way ahead too)

Man, we have had some really dumb people in charge over the last two decades.

Advertisement
You don’t think the Big 10 is focused on the home area tv market? That’s the only reason they’d take schools like miami over Oregon right now.

I think the B1G wants a product that’s going to further elevate their conference, while having a strong viewership base.

With already having SC & UCLA in the fold, programs like UO & UDub definitely have an appeal for them. It’ll help the quadrant set up, as well. I’m not saying Miami is not marketable for either the SEC or B1G b/c clearly they are regardless, I’m just saying it wouldn’t be wise to discount a program like UO that has the most powerful sports booster in the world, either.

I think the B1G wants a product that’s going to further elevate their conference, while having a strong viewership base.

With already having SC & UCLA in the fold, programs like UO & UDub definitely have an appeal for them. It’ll help the quadrant set up, as well. I’m not saying Miami is not marketable for either the SEC or B1G b/c clearly they are regardless, I’m just saying it wouldn’t be wise to discount a program like UO that has the most powerful sports booster in the world, either.
They want in to certain tv markets. No one in their right mind running a top conference should be clamoring to grab Rutgers the football program but Rutgers University is in the metro nyc tv market, the most powerful market there is. The Big 10 is prioritizing tv markets above other things which is why Oregon wasn’t/isn’t a shoe-in. They should be based on success the past 15 or so years plus Nike but they’re not. Not yet.

How much does SECs payout increase with new members? Wonder if they add members if it's a better deal than B10s.... Though I guess it likely entirely depends on which school is added. Though B10 does get the bonus when they enter new states in their deal..
Also, these are the new figures for The SEC w/ Texas & OU joining

The specifics of the two tv deals I was referencing were both pre-expansion

Big ten - usc and ucla
Sec - Texas and Oklahoma

These new tv deals haven’t been made public so who knows

This is the best article that I can find that summarizes things.

Two things to note:

1. I can’t find anything that confirms SEC specifically has escalator clauses, whereas big ten does

2. I like big ten option better because fox and big ten conference both own the network, compared to SEC that has no ownership in its network, and their deal is several years longer

Advertisement
Listen, regardless of popularity/bias etc., these raw numbers seem to be pretty on point. Again, when locals in Florida are asking the board how to watch a Miami Hurricanes game, that’s a pretty indication of viewership or lack thereof with out a media report furnishing reality.

Furthermore, u guys r chiming on some chit that had nothing to do w/ Miami. @RVACane was questioning Oregon’s viewership.

Didn't you just support my point about accessibility? If you put UGA on Bally's and GT on ABC GT is going to get a better Nielsen.

Listen, regardless of popularity/bias etc., these raw numbers seem to be pretty on point. Again, when locals in Florida are asking the board how to watch a Miami Hurricanes game, that’s a pretty indication of viewership or lack thereof with out a media report furnishing reality.

Furthermore, u guys r chiming on some chit that had nothing to do w/ Miami. @RVACane was questioning Oregon’s viewership.

Still a worthwhile discussion in the context of what you posted versus the context of the thread. I went back to look at 2017 ratings week 11:

Miami vs Notre Dame drew 6.7M viewers
#1 Georgia vs #10 Auburn drew 7.4M (alone in the time slot)
#16 Miss St vs #2 Alabama drew 7.0M (game we were up against in the time slot)

Miami's TV rankings for the games they played that year were:

Week 5: #11 game of the week
W6: #5
W7: #5
W8: #8
W9: #10
W10: #5
W11: #3
W12: #4
W13: #5

Big ten - usc and ucla
Sec - Texas and Oklahoma

Two things to note:

1. I can’t find anything that confirms SEC specifically has escalator clauses, whereas big ten does

2. I like big ten option better because fox and big ten conference both own the network, compared to SEC that has no ownership in its network, and their deal is several years longer
Does Texas get to keep their longhorn network? Think originally that went through 2031 and pays Texas $15m/yr. Just funny that the Longhorn network literally pays over half as much as NBC does to Notre Dame currently (think $25m/yr).

Advertisement
Still a worthwhile discussion in the context of what you posted versus the context of the thread. I went back to look at 2017 ratings week 11:

Miami vs Notre Dame drew 6.7M viewers
#1 Georgia vs #10 Auburn drew 7.4M (alone in the time slot)
#16 Miss St vs #2 Alabama drew 7.0M (game we were up against in the time slot)

Miami's TV rankings for the games they played that year were:

Week 5: #11 game of the week
W6: #5
W7: #5
W8: #8
W9: #10
W10: #5
W11: #3
W12: #4
W13: #5

Yes, the magical 2017 Miami v. ND. Lol. I think I need to bottle up 2017 & sell it on E-Bay.

Big ten - usc and ucla
Sec - Texas and Oklahoma

Two things to note:

I see ur point, nor am I disagreeing w/ ur point. My whole point of contention is the stating that SEC negotiated the 2nd worst deal. That’s all. They did not, not remotely close.

Advertisement
Back