MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Hers the thing. The current SEC tv deal is the second worst negotiated contract behind the ACC tv deal.

Only way Miami goes to SEC is if espn plays nice and renegotiates the SEC tv deal, and they dont have a lot of incentive to do that, other than to play defense against the Big Ten, who is running circles around every other conference from a tv standpoint

Ummmm, hold on bro. A partial quote from The Athletic:

“…By 2026, the SEC’s per-school payouts are expected to be more than double that of the Big 12 and nearly double that of the ACC. The Big Ten is expected to come in behind the SEC, but the gap is nowhere near the subsequent drop-off from the Big Ten to the Pac-12. By 2029, Navigate projects, the SEC and the Big Ten will be distributing more than $100 million to member schools on an annual basis. The next-highest distributions, in the Pac-12, will be approximately $38 million less. Conferences’ annual payouts to their members primarily come from media rights deals, but they also include football and basketball postseason revenue.”

Advertisement
Ummmm, hold on bro. A partial quote from The Athletic:

“…By 2026, the SEC’s per-school payouts are expected to be more than double that of the Big 12 and nearly double that of the ACC. The Big Ten is expected to come in behind the SEC, but the gap is nowhere near the subsequent drop-off from the Big Ten to the Pac-12. By 2029, Navigate projects, the SEC and the Big Ten will be distributing more than $100 million to member schools on an annual basis. The next-highest distributions, in the Pac-12, will be approximately $38 million less. Conferences’ annual payouts to their members primarily come from media rights deals, but they also include football and basketball postseason revenue.”

What specifically are you disagreeing with?

The Big Ten tv deal is up in 2029, whereas the SEC deal runs thru 2034.

This article you are referencing cites some other company that keeps using the phrase “expected”

Wait, so you think the Big 10 is going to take all 7 plus Notre Dame? And leave out Washington/Oregon?

Good lord. I guess you don't read the most recent posts.

And please stop acting like you didn't jump into the middle of a discussion of a 20-team Big 10...

PROOF:

View attachment 238656
View attachment 238658
View attachment 238661

AND THEN...AND THEN...YOU NOT ONLY RESPONDED TO ME, BUT QUOTED ME:

View attachment 238664
Lol bud, this isn't the "gotcha" you think it is.
Whether or not you were commenting about a B20 or not, doesn't mean I can't respond that at the end of the day I don't see Oregon and Washington being left out. I really don't know why you are making it complicated. You aren't the thread czar that dictates how people get to respond.

Advertisement
Dude that’s a huge area you just pulled from to try to support the University of Oregon tv market. Sac, SF, and especially Phoenix???

By those standards just pull the entire mid Atlantic and beyond for UVA and VT, both of whom legit pull from all over Virginia plus DC Metro.
Nah bro, Bay area and Sac was in support of Cal/Stanford. Phoenix would be one of ASU/UA.
But also trust me Oregon has more support than even Cal/Stanford likely do in the North Bay if we're being real.

Last edited:
What specifically are you disagreeing with?

The Big Ten tv deal is up in 2029, whereas the SEC deal runs thru 2034.

This article you are referencing cites some other company that keeps using the phrase “expected”

B1G signed a 7 yr deal
SEC signed a 10 yr deal

The SEC’s earning potential due to tier ratings + CFP participation has their schools revenue sharing projected as the top dog in final TV distribution.

That’s what I’m saying. They didn’t negotiate a bad contract at all, & comparing it the bull chit ACC negotiated is laughable. Yes, the B1G will renegotiate before the SEC’s contract is over, no one is disputing that, but u act like the B1G will be renegotiating 2x before the SEC renegotiated once; that’s what’s happening currently in the ACC. The B1G will have renegotiated 3x by the time time the ACC’s contract is up, & the SEC 2x. That’s a bad deal, b/c not only is low on the base, the teams are generating the same tier ratings sans Clemson, & there’s not consistent CFP/NY6 participants sans Clemson.

Another interesting report from Nielson

I do wonder if/when? the B10 will make a play for a Texas school. You gotta think it makes a ton of sense.
But I think this does show just how high the West Coast markets are. People are seriously underestimating them - especially Oregon imo. I really think Oregon would pull a lot from SF and north on the west coast. Plus if you add west coast schools you unlock the "after dark" possibilities. Not sure how well Pac12 after dark did though...

Advertisement
From 2022:

From 2021:

This isn't a popularity list. Needs some context. Viewership is also heavily affected by:

Access: When our games end up on Bally we might as well chalk up a zero neilsen. And there were still people in ACC markets that didn't have access to the ACCN. That's our TV contract being an anchor on our viewership.

Schedule: As the quality of football in the ACC has diminished, our schedule has become less appealing. FSU has been a raging pile of **** too until this year, and we haven't played Clemson, the shining star of our conference very often. Every SEC, B1G, Pac-12, and Big 12 even have played more desirable schedules, or close to it.

ESPN: Has heavily favored SEC and other games in premiere viewing slots, relegating ACC games, including Miami to less desirable times.

Basically our conference and TV contract are albatrosses that are killing us. Yes, our product has been ****, but our brand is still important and relevant, regardless of those raw TV numbers.

Last edited:
Another interesting report from Nielson

NYC has absolutely nothing to do with the B1G no matter how much money Rutgers spends on marketing at Newark Airport.

NYC leads with ND, and then is a giant mis-mash of every major program in America. Rutgers isn't even the most popular B1G team in NYC lol. Michigan.

Advertisement
Nobody here cares about football. Not like the east coast. Lol. Like they care more about Gonzaga basketball
I mean they care enough to watch and buy merch. They may not live, breathe football like in the south - I agree. But does that really matter all that much for this? If it's about media money, Oregon brings it. And honestly their connection to Nike and investment they've made in their athletic program should be enough to get them in. They are clearly the best available team west of the mississippi.

B1G signed a 7 yr deal
SEC signed a 10 yr deal

The SEC’s earning potential due to tier ratings + CFP participation has their schools revenue sharing projected as the top dog in final TV distribution.

That’s what I’m saying. They didn’t negotiate a bad contract at all, & comparing it the bull chit ACC negotiated is laughable. Yes, the B1G will renegotiate before the SEC’s contract is over, no one is disputing that, but u act like the B1G will be renegotiating 2x before the SEC renegotiated once; that’s what’s happening currently in the ACC. The B1G will have renegotiated 3x by the time time the ACC’s contract is up, & the SEC 2x. That’s a bad deal, b/c not only is low on the base, the teams are generating the same tier ratings sans Clemson, & there’s not consistent CFP/NY6 participants sans Clemson.

Is the SEC a better football conference? Yes

Will they likely have more playoff teams? Probably

However, if we are going to remove hypotheticals, and compare the Big Ten vs SEC tv contracts, specifically the locked in guaranteed amounts, and the length of the contracts, with shorter being better, than the Big Ten tv deal absolutely destroys the SEC deal

I’m not sure what there is to debate

Man, we have idiots who double down on being idiots in this thread....

Jeez.

Is an ugly, glorious, beautiful disaster.

potato GIF

Advertisement
This isn't a popularity list. Needs some context. Viewership is also heavily affected by:

Access: When our games end up on Bally we might as well chalk up a zero neilsen. And there were still people in ACC markets that didn't have access to the ACCN. That's our TV contract being an anchor on our viewership.

Schedule: As the quality of football in the ACC has diminished, our schedule has become less appealing. FSU has been a raging pile of **** too until this year, and we haven't played Clemson, the shining star of our conference very often. Every SEC, B1G, Pac-12, and Big 12 even have played more desirable schedules, or close to it.

ESPN: Has heavily favored SEC and other games in premiere viewing slots, relegating ACC games, including Miami to less desirable times.

Basically our conference and TV contract are albatrosses that are killing us. Yes, our product has been ****, but our brand is still important and relevant, regardless of those raw TV numbers.

Listen, regardless of popularity/bias etc., these raw numbers seem to be pretty on point. Again, when locals in Florida are asking the board how to watch a Miami Hurricanes game, that’s a pretty indication of viewership or lack thereof with out a media report furnishing reality.

Furthermore, u guys r chiming on some chit that had nothing to do w/ Miami. @RVACane was questioning Oregon’s viewership.

However, if we are going to remove hypotheticals, and compare the Big Ten vs SEC tv contracts, specifically the locked in guaranteed amounts, and the length of the contracts, with shorter being better, than the Big Ten tv deal absolutely destroys the SEC deal

How much does SECs payout increase with new members? Wonder if they add members if it's a better deal than B10s.... Though I guess it likely entirely depends on which school is added. Though B10 does get the bonus when they enter new states in their deal..

It was the statement of the SEC negotiating the 2nd worst contract behind the ACC which is mot remotely true. U’re looking at raw #’s & there’s a reason y The SEC is projected to be the highest distribution conference as time goes on b/c there’s escalators w/in their contracts.

Listen, regardless of popularity/bias etc., these raw numbers seem to be pretty on point. Again, when locals in Florida are asking the board how to watch a Miami Hurricanes game, that’s a pretty indication of viewership or lack thereof with out a media report furnishing reality.

Furthermore, u guys r chiming on some chit that had nothing to do w/ Miami. @RVACane was questioning Oregon’s viewership.
Whoa… they have viewers but Phoenix and Sac aren’t their tv markets. My understanding is that the Big 10 (and SEC for that matter) is most interested in certain markets and the DC area and South Florida markets have more appeal to the Big 1 than Portland and Corvallis.

Clearly from your stats, Oregon has some appeal beyond its home tv market but I think this is about the home market.

Advertisement
Back