MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
We're currently in the ACC which is viewed as 15 steps below.
oh I’m fully in on leaving the ACC. It’s a dead conference. Especially after this Big 12 deal. But I don’t think, with our brand and the history we have, moving to the Big 12 is the answer.

We will always be viewed as inferior even if we run through that conference on a consistent basis. Teams will look at our competition and the competition faced in the other two conferences and it’s really no comparison.

That, coupled with the amount of money we would be missing out on not being in one of the other two conferences, makes for a perfect storm of never having the opportunity to return to relevance.

I’m sure we would take our licks for a while in the Big Ten or SEC. But losing out on that type of money, coupled with not playing top tier teams as consistently as other schools, would be less than ideal in my opinion

oh I’m fully in on leaving the ACC. It’s a dead conference. Especially after this Big 12 deal. But I don’t think, with our brand and the history we have, moving to the Big 12 is the answer.

We will always be viewed as inferior even if we run through that conference on a consistent basis. Teams will look at our competition and the competition faced in the other two conferences and it’s really no comparison.

That, coupled with the amount of money we would be missing out on not being in one of the other two conferences, makes for a perfect storm of never having the opportunity to return to relevance.

I’m sure we would take our licks for a while in the Big Ten or SEC. But losing out on that type of money, coupled with not playing top tier teams as consistently as other schools, would be less than ideal in my opinion
Clemson ran through a pretty ****** ACC the last decade hasn't seemed to have any negative effects. We can't even win here fat chance B1G or SEC are the answer although I do think it would help recruiting.

Ah, so that is why ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips was at the Miami/UVA game...Dude knew this was going to drop and he wanted to be as far away from the ESECPN cameras. MUCH easier to take beach ball questions from RSN dolts about "Olympic sports" and talking about Cross Country finals instead of the gorilla, elephant, and freakin'Blue Whale in the booth, AKA ACC won't be able to compete in 6 years or maybe less.

Yeah, it his all because his predecessor, Mr "Save the ACC" John Swofford let fellow UNC alum John Skipper do it him huge without lube; but Phillips is a docile little twerp who seems content to just beg ND AD John Swarbrick to join...ACC Commissioners need a better pimp, the "Johns" are running roughshod over them.

And you wonder why so many of us for for Lane Kiffin to get Miami to compete faster...By the time Mario gets anything done, we will have the annual Mario Bowl game...In the Sun Belt conference.

Spot on 79

Jim Phillips sounded like a rookie door-to-door salesman reading from cue cards with that rambling speech about how great the ACC is doing in non-revenue sports. Hey Jimbo, NGAF. Just embarrassing.

As you said, Swofford was in bed with ESPN and pushed a crap deal on an ignorant collection of presidents and ADs.

Ultimately, though, I blame this disaster on the leadership at three schools: Clemson, FSU and Miami.

If that trio had said in 2016, "No, we're not signing a 20-year extension. It's way too long and way too many things can change" ... WTF was Swofford gonna do? Kick his three football money-makers out of the conference? Yeah right.

Frenk and Jake Blames — just like their counterparts at FSU and Clemson — agreed to the extension because it was the collegial thing to do and because they had no vision for the future.

Advertisement
What has USC won before Lincoln Riley arrived?

Is that the question?

I was trying to make a point they haven't won a ship since 2004. They had a few good seasons with non big names at coaching. They spent to win now with Riley, and, in my opinion, because they will have the TV revenue to back up a big signing.

Maybe this is the piece that the powers that be at Miami, Clemson and FSU were waiting on to put the wheels in motion to get out of the awful tv media right contract

Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

If you think this program would win anything noteworthy in the SEC or B1G, I also have some beachfront property to sell you.

It’s not just about Offense, but on that topic, we should definitely move closer to our ultimate goal to become like Michigan & Kentucky bro, because that’s certainly gonna work out for us...

But aside from that, it’s about projecting forward & putting yourself in the most likely situation to create success.

But you know what, never mind... Idek why I waste my time trying explain this sh*t all the time, you guys like learning the hard way, so let me just shut up lol
If we’re being completely honest though…are those conferences really that much better Top to bottom? I agree with you that the Big 12 is clearly the easiest path to dominating a conference while simultaneously making an appropriate amount of money…but the slurping of the SEC/B1G ceases to amaze me.

Like with the SEC: ok - Bama, UGA, UTenn right now are significantly better. The rest? Texas, OU, A&M, UF, Ole Miss, Miss St., Kentucky, SCar…kinda all in the “mid or slightly better than mid” category. Can they be great? Sure - but so could we in theory. We’re recruiting better than 80% of those schools.

BIG: Ohio St, Michigan, USC. The rest? Same thing imo - Wisco, UCLA, Sparty, Nebraska, Illinois, Penn St…all either mid programs or just experiencing a solid year (UCLA).

Maybe it’s a bit aloof to say we’re not too far off from some of those teams - after all, we’re not doing anything with our archaic offense. Would take a few recruiting classes and a brand new offensive approach; But I don’t think we’re infinitely far off from competing.

At the same time, however - the BIG 12 would be easier to win and routinely get to the playoffs. Just common sense. I guess it’s more about what the program wants - do they want more money, or a easier path to dominating a conference?

I’d like to go to the Big 12 as well, but money talks…and i don’t think we’ll entertain that option unfortunately.

The ACC and PAC 12 are dead man walking.
Those are our 3 options. Eventually will be 3 superconferences. Big 12 and sec will have 16-20 teams and big 12 will have 24.

Agree ... Think it's gonna be (sooner rather than later) three super-conferences of 24 schools each: 1. SEC 2. B1G 3. Big 12 + ACC/Pac-12 leftovers

Miami might be the only school that could conceivably end up in any of the three

Advertisement
I’d like to go to the Big 12 as well, but money talks…and i don’t think we’ll entertain that option unfortunately.

Not as confident we'll get that SEC or B1G invite — for all the reasons listed here countless times (attendance, stadium situation, smallish private school, geography, cultural misfit, negative public perception, UF (and likely FSU) pushback, blah blah blah ...

Prefer the SEC (and, if the SEC's not available, the B1G), but if we end up in an expanded B1G 12, that doesn't have to be the end of the world if we handle business in a smart way.

While I agree with you about us winning in those conferences, my concern is still the money.

Moving from the ACC to the Big 12 would net us much more money and give us an easier path. But the Big 12 is going to end up viewed as a step below the other two conferences because of all the big brands being elsewhere.

On top of that, even with the extra money we’re getting from moving on from the terrible ACC media deal, it’s still going to be *checks notes* almost 50 million less than what teams in the other two conferences are going to make annually. If you don’t think that we aren’t going to feel the effects of that from a recruiting/facility/overall on field product standpoint, then I have some beachfront real estate in Ohio to sell you
Ric Flair said, “to be the man you got to beat the man.” SEC me. With our recruiting, we will be competitive.

Big 12 will be getting a lower level of recruits to the SEC and Big 10. Eventually, it’ll be a “Conference USA” type conference.

Ric Flair said, “to be the man you got to beat the man.” SEC me. With our recruiting, we will be competitive.

Big 12 will be getting a lower level of recruits to the SEC and Big 10. Eventually, it’ll be a “Conference USA” type conference.
Exactly. I’m fine with taking our lumps in one of those conferences. At least we will always have a shot at making it back to the top. In the Big 12, with the revenue difference, that won’t ever happen. ****, it doesn’t happen for any of those schools now and the true revenue gap hasn’t even kicked in yet.

Advertisement
Call it a wrap after B1G, SEC & Big 12 expand to 24 teams each with ND remaining Independent.

Who's Notre Dame gonna play the last nine weeks of the regular season when the B1G, SEC and Big 12 are locked into conference play?

Think those three conferences are gonna bend over backwards to create open dates in their schedules to accommodate the Irish?

Once the ACC unravels (and maybe even before), ND's days as a football independent will come to an end

Who's Notre Dame gonna play the last nine weeks of the regular season when the B1G, SEC and Big 12 are locked into conference play?

Think those three conferences are gonna bend over backwards to create open dates in their schedules to accommodate the Irish?

Once the ACC unravels (and maybe even before), ND's days as a football independent will come to an end

Great point lol

Call it a wrap with a fight over ND with 3 24-team conferences

Advertisement
If we’re being completely honest though…are those conferences really that much better Top to bottom? I agree with you that the Big 12 is clearly the easiest path to dominating a conference while simultaneously making an appropriate amount of money…but the slurping of the SEC/B1G ceases to amaze me.

Like with the SEC: ok - Bama, UGA, UTenn right now are significantly better. The rest? Texas, OU, A&M, UF, Ole Miss, Miss St., Kentucky, SCar…kinda all in the “mid or slightly better than mid” category. Can they be great? Sure - but so could we in theory. We’re recruiting better than 80% of those schools.

BIG: Ohio St, Michigan, USC. The rest? Same thing imo - Wisco, UCLA, Sparty, Nebraska, Illinois, Penn St…all either mid programs or just experiencing a solid year (UCLA).

Maybe it’s a bit aloof to say we’re not too far off from some of those teams - after all, we’re not doing anything with our archaic offense. Would take a few recruiting classes and a brand new offensive approach; But I don’t think we’re infinitely far off from competing.

At the same time, however - the BIG 12 would be easier to win and routinely get to the playoffs. Just common sense. I guess it’s more about what the program wants - do they want more money, or a easier path to dominating a conference?

I can see how you would come to these conclusions if you watch only Miami football, from over a decade ago.

- Does the bottom of any conference really matter? No, they aren't going to bowl games. It has never been about which conference has the best 9th-12th best team. It is about who wins titles, who wins NY6 bowls. Who gets guys drafted. Over the last four years the SEC is like 25-11 against the ACC. Yes, they are significantly better, as is the B1G who is like 14-6 over the same stretch. Both conferences **** on the ACC in the most recent NFL draft, significantly, like 2 and 3 times as many players drafted. If we are being completely honest, we would probably be at best, the 10th best team in either of those conferences this season, maybe worse. We lost to A&M this year. We have lost our last three to Wisconsin. Michigan state beat us last year, Illinoise, Penn state, UCLA, ole miss etc would smash us this year. The only comparison is has-been Nebraska, which uh, let's not think about how they brought in a former player to bring them back too much.

-"Would take a few recruiting classes and a new offensive approach". You could say that about literally any team in the country, any year. If you need a few years of recruiting, your roster is trash. If you need a new scheme, your coach is trash. therefore, we are not close. Being years away is being far off. All they have to do is get a great coach and load the roster with great players. No ****.

- The big 12 would be easier than the SEC or the BIG. No argument there. Key word is easier, not easy. We are in the bottom half of our conference, we aren't steamrolling any conference anytime soon, since like all but a handful of teams in the country, we are several recruiting classes and a staff overhaul away from actually being good. And while I have fought the urge up until this point, one only need to recall a few weeks ago to see just how bad we actually can be.

- Lastly, you are right about money talking. Guess what the money is saying about Miami, when it isn't in a historic rivalry game? Noon on Bally sports. We don't draw fans to the stadium and we don't draw eyes to the TV set outside of specific circumstances. We aren't a money team if we aren't a winning team, playing another good team. We better hope those few years of recruiting and new coaches happen before major realignment moves do, or that we are attached at the hip to some much more relevant teams.

“ESPN took pains to make sure that its Big 12 deal would not result in a bigger per-school payout than the ACC.”
“I was told that the Big 12 will not eclipse the ACC on that front at any point in its deal”

Advertisement
Back