Comparing 99 QB situation to 2021

Joaquin_Said_Dominate

Recruit
Banned
I can't help but compare what this offense looks like with King behind center with what it looksd like in 99 with Kelly behind cemter.
Despite having solid talent, the 99 offense was not clicking. That is, of course, until Kelly gets injured and the slim freshman qb Dorsey steps in and the rest is history.

This is not a knock on King. He made the QB position at Miami respectable again. But it is apparent that his lack of arm strength and ability to read defenses is hindering the offense.
I believe this offense needs a Jake Garcia type arm to get the ball out in space to our playmakers.
Does coach Diaz have the balls to do what's best for the team and starts a Young Garcia over a veteran? I don't think so.. but by the way the hits King is taking, I think.its only a matter of time before we see Garcia get thrusted into action much like 99 when Dorsey came in. And hopefully its a similar storu.

Advertisement
I can't help but compare what this offense looks like with King behind center with what it looksd like in 99 with Kelly behind cemter.
Despite having solid talent, the 99 offense was not clicking. That is, of course, until Kelly gets injured and the slim freshman qb Dorsey steps in and the rest is history.

This is not a knock on King. He made the QB position at Miami respectable again. But it is apparent that his lack of arm strength and ability to read defenses is hindering the offense.
I believe this offense needs a Jake Garcia type arm to get the ball out in space to our playmakers.
Does coach Diaz have the balls to do what's best for the team and starts a Young Garcia over a veteran? I don't think so.. but by the way the hits King is taking, I think.its only a matter of time before we see Garcia get thrusted into action much like 99 when Dorsey came in. And hopefully its a similar storu.

dang. I was thinking the same thing the other day. The difference is the King is respected by the team and is all in as a football player. Kelly was always one foot out the door with baseball and the team never saw him give his body up like King does every single week.

KK was a million times the qb that King is. This isn't even a comparison.

I don’t git all the hate for King now. Yes it wasn’t his best game but he willed the team to victory. Garcia will be great but King isn’t done yet.
I think you’re looking at it the wrong way. Yes King has struggled but I don’t put that all on him. Lashlee is trying to make King do things he either can’t, or isn’t comfortable doing. He’s not the guy for what Lashlee wants to do and it’s bringing the team down with them.

Advertisement
Is TVD or Garcia tearing up Greentree?

Can we start one of them against awful Rutgers (1-10), Syracuse (7-5), and Temple (2-9) the last three weeks of the season? FYI - Rutgers’ only win was against Syracuse, and one of Temple’s wins was against Rutgers.

dang. I was thinking the same thing the other day. The difference is the King is respected by the team and is all in as a football player. Kelly was always one foot out the door with baseball and the team never saw him give his body up like King does every single week.
Yep. Butch hated that Kelly was playing baseball and couldn't give the keys to Dorsey fast enough.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think you’re looking at it the wrong way. Yes King has struggled but I don’t put that all on him. Lashlee is trying to make King do things he either can’t, or isn’t comfortable doing. He’s not the guy for what Lashlee wants to do and it’s bringing the team down with them.

Spot on. Either adapt the system for your QB or start a QB that fits the system. I don't put this on King. King scored 50 TDs in a season. When Lashlee left SMU, Dykes literally stated he wanted his next OC to be more Air Raid focused (more pass, less run). Not a drop off at all once Lashlee was gone. One of those two has earned the benefit of the doubt and his name doesn't rhyme with Trashley.

Last edited:
Spot on. Either adapt the system for your QB or start a QB that fits the system. I don't put this on King. King scored 50 TDs in a season. Lashlee got fired from his OC duties at Auburn. When Lashlee left SMU, Dykes literally stated he wanted his next OC to be more Air Raid focused (more pass, less run). Not a drop off at all once Lashlee was gone. One of those two has earned the benefit of the doubt and his name doesn't rhyme with Trashley.
Ding
Ding
Ding

Advertisement
The point is not to compare the 99 team to this one.
I'm comparing how in 99 the team would not have reached their full potential had Kelly stayed healthy and continued on as the starter by virtue of being the veteran QB.
Same thing this year. This team offensively will not reach its full potential with King starting.
It's my wishfuk thinking that maybe Garcia can come in much like Dorsey did and make this offense better.

Be careful. King is the kind of quarterback that can make a post like this look crazy any given day. I am just going to stfu and let it play out.
This is more a hit on Lashlee than King IMO. King isn't great at RPO and Lashlee prefers to run the ball. If Lashlee would let King pass for 10 straight and loosen up the D, the inside run game wouldn't be an issue. When they start stacking the box, air raid them until they are forced out of the box. If we are able to pass the ball, there is zero doubt we will be able to run the ball as King will get his on scrambles and RPOs. Once the D is tired, Cam will get more yards.

Advertisement
Back