Combine Field Trip

Drake university, they’re accredited. They have a masters program for people who want legal knowledge without being a lawyer. Its the same classes as the normal JD but I get to pick my schedule. So I focused my schedule on contracts, negotiations, mediation, business associations, and other classes actually more relevant to what I’ll be doing.

The nflpa now requires you to have a post graduate degree to get registered unless you already have some negotiating experience e.g. a certain South Florida agent who burst onto the scene despite never going to college.

In the old days, Rosenhaus signed his first client when he was 22 and still had a year or two left in school and had a dozen clients by the time he was 24.

I knew I didn’t want to practice Law and wanted to get certified ASAP so I was just able to cut out the Crim Law, Civ Pro, etc classes that won’t help me and just add more time.
smart move.

Advertisement
Drake university, they’re accredited. They have a masters program for people who want legal knowledge without being a lawyer. Its the same classes as the normal JD but I get to pick my schedule. So I focused my schedule on contracts, negotiations, mediation, business associations, and other classes actually more relevant to what I’ll be doing.
smart move.
Chess not checkers

The nflpa now requires you to have a post graduate degree to get registered unless you already have some negotiating experience e.g. a certain South Florida agent who burst onto the scene despite never going to college.

In the old days, Rosenhaus signed his first client when he was 22 and still had a year or two left in school and had a dozen clients by the time he was 24.

I knew I didn’t want to practice Law and wanted to get certified ASAP so I was just able to cut out the Crim Law, Civ Pro, etc classes that won’t help me and just add more time.

Does Drake use the socratic method in the masters program you mention or is it knowledge and fact based courses?

Does Drake use the socratic method in the masters program you mention or is it knowledge and fact based courses?
Yes we use the socratic, getting cold called can suck but it forces you to come prepared. The masters classes aren’t separate from the JD classes. So some of my classes are normal first year classes where almost everyone else is a 1L and others are upper level where it’s all 2L and 3L students.

Advertisement
I talked a lot of **** on the field so some guys would go for the big hits. My body isn’t too happy with me now lol
Rite of passage...especially for a walk-on. Testing you to see if you stay or quit. They want to out the potential quitters and drive them off.

One thing to watch out for: some states might consider your representational and advice work to be practicing law. If you advise a client on a contract that could very easily be interpreted by state authorities as practicing law and if you don't have a law license, well....

I know someone here will pooh-pooh it and say I'm just stirring things up....I just think it's smart to be cautious and aware. I hope this is part of your training at Drake.

ir

I heard that the NFL Players assoc.would represent someone like Jackson even if he didn't have an agent.

Is this reprensentation just with a lawyer to protect him with his contract or do they have actual agent types that take on these duties.

Reason I ask is if the NFLPA IS going to represent him would that not be more reason to go without an agent on his first contract??

Now the many pluses you bring up (stuff outside of football such as endorsements etc) that an agent has access too is worth something IF the player is the personable type that would garner national recognition for commercials or local endorsements is definitely worth something.Sometimes more than the contract depending on the player.Chances are Jackson's mama isn't going to have access to or even know about these types of opportunities.

But VERY FEW players are going to get the big profile endorsements during that first contract.These normally come along after they're established as a " household" name from their accomplishments those first couple years.

I guess there is a reason 99% of players do have an agent.They wouldn't have them if they didn't serve a purpose but as Cali said you have to wonder if having one during the first contract is necessary IF the NFLPA is going to get behind you with quality help.
I really wonder if a union can provide the kind of assistance that a competent (and ethical) agent could. A law school classmate worked for the NFLPA through school. He handled grievances, arbitration, etc. Typical union stuff. I know the NFLPA also conducted training seminars for agents. Still, I wouldn't have confidence in a union as opposed to a good agent.

I dunno....maybe it doesn't make as much difference if you're not being drafted high.

Advertisement
Rite of passage...especially for a walk-on. Testing you to see if you stay or quit. They want to out the potential quitters and drive them off.
I had a different persona when I stepped on the field. Every time after I catch or good block I brought up someone’s mom, girlfriend etc or had other choice words lol. Defenders would go for late hits often to walk ons as you mentioned to make sure you really want to be there so I never took crap from anyone. Nothing ever carried over to the locker room though, what happens on the field stays there then you laugh about it with some of your best friends after practice

One thing to watch out for: some states might consider your representational and advice work to be practicing law. If you advise a client on a contract that could very easily be interpreted by state authorities as practicing law and if you don't have a law license, well....

I know someone here will pooh-pooh it and say I'm just stirring things up....I just think it's smart to be cautious and aware. I hope this is part of your training at Drake.
I know every state has some different rules when you register with them, but all of the states I plan on registering in where I have contacts have agents registered from varying postgrad disciplines. The main thing states are looking for is if you pass the nflpa exam. If I have specific legal advice a client might need I know a handful of lawyers both in Florida and other states I would use

You should just go ahead and get your JD. You'll never regret that decision. Can still work at the same time.

If the decision to go with an agent is made, I think trust has to be the biggest factor, along with that comes morals, work ethic and desire. As I'm sure you've seen, some recent players are signing with guys because they're 'flashy' and give off an entertaining persona. This should be business and personal relationship, not one built off of the perception of who might be fun or who can't sell themselves so they have to throw cash out to become appealing. I understand taking a loss leader and paying for a player's training as that is now expected, but agents offering any other inducements just shows me they aren't confident in themselves, and if you're not confident in your brand/product/abilities then how can you be expected to go head to head with an NFL executive for your client and do a great job? Some guys have negotiated big contracts and years of experience, but also many lawsuits or scandals involving former clients, which can be easily found. As you mentioned, you're also seeing some players signing with agents who have 100 clients. Sure they have experience and have been around the game, but do you think they're really taking their time and negotiating hard deals that long into their careers, when they have so many other clients to handle?

As I'm weighing my future job paths I have those same fears, do I go with a small agency or even alone where there's less security but I have more of a voice, or a mega firm where my job is likely safe, but I'm just a number and have little say? I think football contract and marketing negotiations under one roof is beneficial, and can allow the player to work with the same person/ few people rather than another whole team. But I think finances should be separate and act as a form of checks and balances.

I think its all up to the agents personality, his/her background and work ethic. Everybody starts somewhere, Shaq showed up to UM as a freshman with no experience and more experienced guys ahead of him, but he had the mentality and work ethic that he would not be denied, and ultimately he was named the starter and the rest is history. If I was in the NFL, that's the personality trait I would look for when determining who is going to negotiate on my behalf. And I don't see it as bashing, everyone is entitled to their opinions and its a big decision to make. There are some very bad apples in the game that unfortunately give the entire industry a bad rap.

Edit: A thing I missed, if Lamar Jackson stays without an agent; is he going to have the balls for lack of a better term or confidence to tell his GM "no" or whatever it may be when negotiating his offset language? Some guys might but I'd think the vast majority don't. His lawyer can sift through his contract and make any suggestion, but Lamar is the one that has to make the demands to his employer, then go back and forth and listen to his employer tell him why he isn't good enough or worth changing the contract language. Then he has to play for said employer for years and constantly be reminded of what this man truly thinks about him and his worth.

Had you asked me (and you didn't because what kind of moron asks people on the internet their opinions?) I would have told you that, especially when you're young, you should go with the smaller organization where your voice will be heard and you'll have some control over your path. You talk about values, well it's been my experience that the bigger an organization, the farther they get from the values they had when they started. Instead of making money while doing the right thing, it becomes about making money whatever the cost.

Just my 2 cents.

Advertisement
Good, the more guys we have drafted high the better. Its worth them leaving early to be able to say we sent 3 guys to the NFL in the first round as juniors. Get that $$$.

Had you asked me (and you didn't because what kind of moron asks people on the internet their opinions?) I would have told you that, especially when you're young, you should go with the smaller organization where your voice will be heard and you'll have some control over your path. You talk about values, well it's been my experience that the bigger an organization, the farther they get from the values they had when they started. Instead of making money while doing the right thing, it becomes about making money whatever the cost.

Just my 2 cents.
Thank you I appreciate the advice

Just my 2 cents.
I can vouch for that. I've worked for $50M companies and $50B companies and the bottom line becomes the determining factor the bigger the company.

Advertisement

Just my 2 cents.
Dilly Dilly .... I agree with ur 2 cents

Dilly Dilly .... I agree with ur 2 cents

Disagree, go bigger where you can be exposed to more - like Excel, CAA, Endeavor, WME, etc. Opens you to so many more options. Now if you want to be niche & want to stay at one place forever & have no expectations of leaving, then go small.

This is a bad ariticle imo (but I think Barstool is pretty **** tbh). Just because you don't have an agent doesn't mean you have to ******* go off the grid.

Dudes not being smart at all, but it's not because he didn't hire an agent. If he wasn't willing to put the time to handle this **** by himself, then yeah he should have hired an agent, or at the very least an assistant or someone better than his mom to manage him, who clearly isn't doing a good job.

I still don't think he needs an agent at all. Hire an assistant for like $40k/yr and have them manage your email/schedule/calls/etc. Not having an agent shouldn't make it impossible for teams and other people around the league to contact you.

Advertisement
Back