Colbie Young Portal

Very Streaky with WR.... Like Pickens was a dude for them, Burton isnt quite on that level but he is good and transferred to Bama. TE is usually their money position and Bowers was their leading catcher.

Otherwise you have Domic Lovett, Marcus Rosemy, McConkey as the top 3. You are right in that Colbie Young is likely an upgrade over Rosemy, George over Lovett and X over McConkey. I dont think they have any drop off if you swap those 3. Whatever happened to Tyler Williams kid out of Lakeland a year or two back? His HS tape looked good.
Fairly even, though Bowers is a better receiving TE than anything we've had in years. McConkey, if healthy, is a step up from X.

Advertisement
Fairly even, though Bowers is a better receiving TE than anything we've had in years. McConkey, if healthy, is a step up from X.
Oh ya I wasnt comparing TE at all. Bowers is THE dude. no one on our team or in CFB compares as TE1.

McConkey Im not sure if anything they are eerily like clones.... its also one thing to say "if healthy" when he seems to be dinged up alot. But putting that caveat aside, even if healthy I dont know if he is a step up.

He was a 2020 recruit as was X and they both went to their respective regional openings within 2 months of each other in 2019 verified numbers below:

Player A: 4.56 40; 4.12 Shuttle; 36.6 vert

Offer list: Army, Bucknell, Furman, Georgia Southern, Kennesaw, Kent State, Mercer, Vandy, and William and Mary

Stats in College:
2021: 31 catches 447 yds 5TD
2022 58 catches 762 yds 7 tds
2023 29 catches 456 yds 2 tds

Player B: 4.58 40; 4.16 shuttle; 32.5 vert

Offer list: Air Force, Boston College, Brown, Cornell, Dartmouth, UGA, Harvard, Kentucky, Loussivell, Michigan, Miss State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Pitt, Princeton, Purdue, Rutgers, Samford, Southern Miss, Texas,, Vandy, and William and Mary

Stats in College:
2020: 1 catch 12 yds
2021: 24 catches 373 yards 2td
2022 21 catches 240 yds 2 td
2023: 74 catches 993 yards 5tds

I mean it is pretty close...if you swap them 1 for 1 I bet he puts up just as good of number with Bowers taking all the attention over the middle of the field. X would cook if he was allowed regular 1v1 matchups like McConkey gets because of teams focusing on Bowers and teams needing to load the box to stop the run against UGA. Basically a long way of saying I can see how watching both you could think McConkey is a step up but when you take into consideration the totality of the situations I think X is better.

Ok, I'm a big fan of X as well, but most coaches and draft folks would give an edge to McConkey. Draft buzz at this juncture is mostly Kipper and others pontificating. That said, McConkey has some draft chatter & is weighing whether to declare. Don't believe that is true of X.
Kipper projects McConkey 2nd or 3rd round & ESPN's Field Yates rates him the 5th WR -- granted, both seem generous (another site had McConkey 11th position rating & X 40th). In fairness, also saw another projecting McConkey as a late-round pick. Most project X as an undrafted free agent. Best seen was 286 ranking - so, 5th-6th round.
Again, they're very similar players & McConkey probably gets more attention because he's played on a hot team and performed well in big games. Dealt with back & ankle injuries this year, so maybe it'll be a negative. Projections don't mean much & maybe X ends up having the better career. Time will tell.

yep d money and many called it

1702598285339.png

Ok, I'm a big fan of X as well, but most coaches and draft folks would give an edge to McConkey. Draft buzz at this juncture is mostly Kipper and others pontificating. That said, McConkey has some draft chatter & is weighing whether to declare. Don't believe that is true of X.
Kipper projects McConkey 2nd or 3rd round & ESPN's Field Yates rates him the 5th WR -- granted, both seem generous (another site had McConkey 11th position rating & X 40th). In fairness, also saw another projecting McConkey as a late-round pick. Most project X as an undrafted free agent. Best seen was 286 ranking - so, 5th-6th round.
Again, they're very similar players & McConkey probably gets more attention because he's played on a hot team and performed well in big games. Dealt with back & ankle injuries this year, so maybe it'll be a negative. Projections don't mean much & maybe X ends up having the better career. Time will tell.
McConkey is also more athletic

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
One of the reasons he left was TVD. Will do well at GA and have a nice NFL career.

I don’t see nfl in his future. You actually have to run clean routes in the nfl or have blazing speed. He has neither. Solid college WR but those are a dime a dozen. Happy to see him maybe get paid and play for a contender if he actually lands at Georgia .

Advertisement
Back