Cody Brown commits to Miami

I got a chance to watch his semifinal game and really study the kid. Going in I was a little meh on using a 2022 scholarship on this kid, after watching him I am fairly excited to get him. Get him for this year where our numbers are a little low. Add another bigger back to push Franklin.

Quick review if anyone cares to read:

Strengths:
  • An excellent finisher on his runs. I want every RB on my roster to look to finish runs and not step out-of-bounds.
  • Great contact balance. Think about Lorenzo Lingard and how he looked beautiful in space, but a gust of wind knocked him down. This kid is the opposite. You want to tackle him, you'd better bring your pads.
  • His burst is fairly strong for a bigger back. If Force = Mass * Acceleration, it stands to reason a big back with burst will run with force.
  • Decisive runner. Highlights look great when a guy dances and makes someone miss, but the far more effective style is to be decisive as a RB and not dance in the hole. This kid knows the play design and makes his choice quickly.
  • Presses the hole. I can tell you from experience that every single coach hates it when a RB gets the ball and immediately looks to bounce outside. Not just coaches, but your OL hate it as well. This kid presses the hole and then cuts it back if necessary.

Opportunities:
  • He is a bit stiff and rigid. He will not be stringing moves together to make people miss.
  • Not really a big play threat at the next level. The type whose big runs will be 40 yards moreso than 60+.
  • A bit robotic as a runner. I mentioned he knows the play and will run it, but sometimes a bit too "get what is blocked" at times, when a cutback might bust out the other side.
Overall:

To me, this kid fits into the RB room perfectly. I definitely voiced displeasure at how many times there were four yards there in the blocking and the RB gets zero or even negative yards because he hesitates or dances. This kid is a RB who will keep an offense on-schedule and will churn out drives late. Adding another blue-chip into the RB room for this year honestly gives Miami a great set of players to fit into a cohesive unit. Would probably have him slightly behind Thad Franklin in my rankings, but in they're in the same tier and switching their places wouldn't draw much of a fight.

Will be excellent to watch them compete and see who gets the upper hand in year one.

This dude, Lance Roffers, with the physics equations. LOVE IT!

Advertisement
Lance Roffers' writeups are INFINITELY better that hotsh!t's "Weaknesses" threads.

@Lance Roffers does not see "weaknesses" in our recruits, he sees "opportunities" for improvement. I can appreciate that perspective, especially when we are talking about developing teenage athletes.

Excited about Brown and what he brings to the RB room. Between him, Thad, and Chaney, those uptempo power spread concepts Lashlee likes could be very hard on opposing defenses and wear them out badly (in particular if our guard play tightens up).

@Lance Roffers does not see "weaknesses" in our recruits, he sees "opportunities" for improvement. I can appreciate that perspective, especially when we are talking about developing teenage athletes.

Excited about Brown and what he brings to the RB room. Between him, Thad, and Chaney, those uptempo power spread concepts Lashlee likes could be very hard on opposing defenses and wear them out badly (in particular if our guard play tightens up).

Yes. This is one area where I trust Lance Roffers' eye for evaluation. I have heard Lance speak about our running game multiple times, and I have questioned him on some of the specifics of what has been going wrong, when our RBs leave holes (and extra yardage) unexploited. I have high confidence in the Lance's analysis of what has happened over the past 2 years and how it can be addressed going forward. In a VERY minor sense, I think that Lance enjoys the inside running a bit more than I do, and I prefer the old-style Miami outside sweeps a bit more than he does, but otherwise I agree with his assessments of Lashlee, Lashlee's play-calling, and the play of our OL, QB, and RBs in the overall rushing attack.

@Lance Roffers any chance you'd spend some time reviewing some film with me? I'd love to improve my knowledge. I dont have kids but **** i'd love to be the OC for one of the young teams up here in Canada.

Advertisement
Too many facts
We do spend a lot of time complaining about the recruiters that don’t carry their weight but man he has been elite since he’s been here. Doesn’t get discussed much but wonder how we would have fared with all those elite backs we missed out on over the years

We do spend a lot of time complaining about the recruiters that don’t carry their weight but man he has been elite since he’s been here. Doesn’t get discussed much but wonder how we would have fared with all those elite backs we missed out on over the years
yea hes been elite day one and we rarely talk about it lol

Advertisement
I bet Lashlee is salivating picking up Thad and Cody this class. Throw Rooster out of the backfield in the passing game along with Chaney. Pound the interior with 2 large RB’s in Thad and Don and watch the lanes open up for Arroyo and Mallory plus Harley. Then the vertical passing game opens up for deep shots. Rinse and repeat. Once we overwhelm defenses and secure the lead just take the will out of them with 4+yd rushes by the bruisers and it’s lights out. And I’m forgetting Harris but he too will be able to take the top off of the defense with his home run ability. It’s a Paradise of running backs now thanks to Hickson. We should average over 200yds a game easily.

@Lance Roffers any chance you'd spend some time reviewing some film with me? I'd love to improve my knowledge. I dont have kids but **** i'd love to be the OC for one of the young teams up here in Canada.
  1. I'm humbled you would ask for my help in improving your knowledge of the game
  2. My recommendation would be to start subscribing to channels of coaches you respect and pick up schematic details and areas of interest and dive into those areas and really become an expert in them. The internet has pretty much anything you could ever want about the game of football.
  3. Always happy to help answer questions you might have.

Advertisement
He reminds me of a poor mans Najeh Davenport (pre knee injury) That said, before he was hurt, Najeh would have been better than about all the greats of that time.

Advertisement
Yes those are valid points however I think that Brown has very good speed for his size/height/weight. In Brown's case, anything related to his speed that is above average is icing on the cake. Brown isn't being recruited to be a back that busts off 75 yard house calls. He is a workhorse type that is an absolute load to tackle with excellent vision and balance to boot. Brown isn't one of these huge finesse type backs. This kid uses his size and strength to overwhelm and punish would be tacklers. This is the type of back that can see the tiniest slivers of daylight and blow them wide open. Fantastic prospect who has the tools and innate running ability to be a star at the national level. Put him in a P5 level strength and conditioning program and provide him with quality coaching and he could be special.
He's big enough, and fast enough, to terrorize a D. I wouldn't want to be a 185 lb corner with him running at me.

Also, people need to realize that a dude this big with speed is every bit as likely to hit one for 75 yards as a guy a little faster, but gets knocked down by an unmowed blade of grass. A guy this size is also far more likely to turn a 15 yard run into a 60 yard run, because he was man enough to make it the first 15.

I can't say it enough. We have missed having a big, decisive runner.

Advertisement
Back