Cody Brown commits to Miami

He inherited a 9-3 team from Saban your comment is stupid and makes no sense. He won a title 3 years after he took over from a Saban 9-3 team. And went to a title game 7 years later. To try and correlate his success to Saban is just stupid, but I guess you can't help it, you are who you are.
So you think Miles is a great coach?

Advertisement
It’s a fact based on everything that goes into being a RB actually..did you watch the games?? Do you know the stats??..here we go with the “freshman were better narrative”..not even close. 5.1 YPC 11 total tubs. And broke off the biggest plays...I think Chaney has the most upside but in 2020 cam was better
Mario Lopez Football GIF

West orange ran the same playbook the popwerner teams run at the park down the street
Lingard was straight line fast , nothing more. He’s faster than Brown but Brown checks every box as a rb minus short acceleration. He’s fast but it takes him longer to build his speed. Big he’s physical , runs angry , uses a mean stiff arm, always makes the first guy miss , good vision ( makes his own hole) and has good wiggle for height/weight. He’s game ready stepping on campus. Lingard didn’t check any of those boxes. I was never impressed by his film. My point is it’s a good awful comparison by Antman ( if that’s really in fact who he is)

Advertisement
Are you comparing Brown to Lingard? I hope not because the styles are completely different.
Maybe its not a good comparison player wise, I should have said Robert Burns but the point is there's nothing special. You can tell the difference between potential and can't miss. 16 pages should be reserved for the can't miss.

I got a chance to watch his semifinal game and really study the kid. Going in I was a little meh on using a 2022 scholarship on this kid, after watching him I am fairly excited to get him. Get him for this year where our numbers are a little low. Add another bigger back to push Franklin.

Quick review if anyone cares to read:

Strengths:
  • An excellent finisher on his runs. I want every RB on my roster to look to finish runs and not step out-of-bounds.
  • Great contact balance. Think about Lorenzo Lingard and how he looked beautiful in space, but a gust of wind knocked him down. This kid is the opposite. You want to tackle him, you'd better bring your pads.
  • His burst is fairly strong for a bigger back. If Force = Mass * Acceleration, it stands to reason a big back with burst will run with force.
  • Decisive runner. Highlights look great when a guy dances and makes someone miss, but the far more effective style is to be decisive as a RB and not dance in the hole. This kid knows the play design and makes his choice quickly.
  • Presses the hole. I can tell you from experience that every single coach hates it when a RB gets the ball and immediately looks to bounce outside. Not just coaches, but your OL hate it as well. This kid presses the hole and then cuts it back if necessary.

Opportunities:
  • He is a bit stiff and rigid. He will not be stringing moves together to make people miss.
  • Not really a big play threat at the next level. The type whose big runs will be 40 yards moreso than 60+.
  • A bit robotic as a runner. I mentioned he knows the play and will run it, but sometimes a bit too "get what is blocked" at times, when a cutback might bust out the other side.
Overall:

To me, this kid fits into the RB room perfectly. I definitely voiced displeasure at how many times there were four yards there in the blocking and the RB gets zero or even negative yards because he hesitates or dances. This kid is a RB who will keep an offense on-schedule and will churn out drives late. Adding another blue-chip into the RB room for this year honestly gives Miami a great set of players to fit into a cohesive unit. Would probably have him slightly behind Thad Franklin in my rankings, but in they're in the same tier and switching their places wouldn't draw much of a fight.

Will be excellent to watch them compete and see who gets the upper hand in year one.

Advertisement
That's what I saw, too, Lance. Well written. This kid will not hit the homerun, but he'll grind out 3-15 yards on nearly every carry. And he'll wear down the defense so we start running away with the game in the fourth quarter. I love these types of power backs.

**** Hickson doesn't even get paid he just gives his checks to the HS running backs. It seems that way cause he gets anyone to come. Ruthless recruiter
I love it when you have a reaction like this. When @Dwinstitles gets excited about a recruit then you know its a great pickup. @Dwinstitles ain't about that mediocre 3 star diamond in the rough orange and green glasses type life!

Advertisement
He doesn't look overly fast, but i think he plays faster on a field that anything timed on a stop clock. not going to home run threat all the time, but he is fast enough i would guess. We can shop for a home run back now in the 22 class. We have the two power guys back to back in this kid and Thad.
Yes those are valid points however I think that Brown has very good speed for his size/height/weight. In Brown's case, anything related to his speed that is above average is icing on the cake. Brown isn't being recruited to be a back that busts off 75 yard house calls. He is a workhorse type that is an absolute load to tackle with excellent vision and balance to boot. Brown isn't one of these huge finesse type backs. This kid uses his size and strength to overwhelm and punish would be tacklers. This is the type of back that can see the tiniest slivers of daylight and blow them wide open. Fantastic prospect who has the tools and innate running ability to be a star at the national level. Put him in a P5 level strength and conditioning program and provide him with quality coaching and he could be special.

Advertisement
I got a chance to watch his semifinal game and really study the kid. Going in I was a little meh on using a 2022 scholarship on this kid, after watching him I am fairly excited to get him. Get him for this year where our numbers are a little low. Add another bigger back to push Franklin.

Quick review if anyone cares to read:

Strengths:

• An excellent finisher on his runs. I want every RB on my roster to look to finish runs and not step out-of-bounds.
  • Great contact balance. Think about Lorenzo Lingard and how he looked beautiful in space, but a gust of wind knocked him down. This kid is the opposite. You want to tackle him, you'd better bring your pads.
  • His burst is fairly strong for a bigger back. If Force = Mass * Acceleration, it stands to reason a big back with burst will run with force.
  • Decisive runner. Highlights look great when a guy dances and makes someone miss, but the far more effective style is to be decisive as a RB and not dance in the hole. This kid knows the play design and makes his choice quickly.
  • Presses the hole. I can tell you from experience that every single coach hates it when a RB gets the ball and immediately looks to bounce outside. Not just coaches, but your OL hate it as well. This kid presses the hole and then cuts it back if necessary.

Opportunities:
  • He is a bit stiff and rigid. He will not be stringing moves together to make people miss.
  • Not really a big play threat at the next level. The type whose big runs will be 40 yards moreso than 60+.
  • A bit robotic as a runner. I mentioned he knows the play and will run it, but sometimes a bit too "get what is blocked" at times, when a cutback might bust out the other side.
Overall:

To me, this kid fits into the RB room perfectly. I definitely voiced displeasure at how many times there were four yards there in the blocking and the RB gets zero or even negative yards because he hesitates or dances. This kid is a RB who will keep an offense on-schedule and will churn out drives late. Adding another blue-chip into the RB room for this year honestly gives Miami a great set of players to fit into a cohesive unit. Would probably have him slightly behind Thad Franklin in my rankings, but in they're in the same tier and switching their places wouldn't draw much of a fight.

Will be excellent to watch them compete and see who gets the upper hand in year one.
If you aren't coming to the site for these types of reviews you shouldn't be coming to the site at all. Appreciate it brother

Advertisement
Back