Coaching search update

Advertisement
Your suggestion is to pair a first time OC with a defensive minded coach? How does this help us on offense?

Dorsey is a rising star. Cam Newton is the talk of the NFL and he is playing smart. Offensive coordinator at a big school is the logical next step for him. The fit with Kaaya is obvious.

It sounds like an awful idea. I do understand that talented position coaches get promotions to Coordinator. I get that. But too me, it would make sense (if you want him as OC) to pair him with an offensive minded coach.

If Herman or Fuente comes in, perhaps it makes more sense.

If you bring in a guy like Hue Jackson too, it makes more sense.

Let's address Ken Dorsey as OC because we're aware of Butch and Strong would repeat the last 10+ years at Miami.

Your suggestion is to pair a first time OC with a defensive minded coach? How does this help us on offense?

I think Dorsey will be a great OC one day, but I'm done with having coordinators learning on the job. If Dorsey wants to come back as QB coach, I'd be all for that...or even as co-OC with someone more experienced.

See my dream scenario is still Herman with Dorsey as OC...

Its also quite possible that Hermon and/or Feunte said "No". They might have already been approached by and said "Yes" to one of the other openings and are keeping it hush until season end. Or they don't WANT to leave at this time. That is always a possibility.

Advertisement
DMoney, what are your thoughts on Skrong? It seems to me that he benefited from having Bridgewater bail him out as a coach. I'm not so sure he's good HC material. Seems to be a better DC than HC.

I've discussed this in other posts, but I think he'd kill it here. He is an elite evaluator of talent (like Butch) who put 14 guys in the pros the last two years at Louisville. Most of those guys were three stars or worse. Recruiting ability may be overrated for a head coach, but the ability to evaluate is just as important as Xs and Os.

He already knows the area and does not need to start fresh in terms of relationships. He built elite defenses at South Carolina, Florida and Louisville, so I believe he can do the same here with our talented roster. He would inherit a Bridgewater-type quarterback in Kaaya. The Iowa State loss is concerning, but Butch had plenty of bad losses here (including a meltdown against East Carolina in Year 5 with a loaded roster).

He is my third choice behind Butch and Herman.

Last edited:
Even more unsettling, the defensive guru is getting shredded. Which Strong would we be getting?

He had elite defenses at South Carolina, Florida and Louisville. I think Texas is the anomaly, not the other way around. And he would be inheriting a defense with a ton of talent that fits his system.

I would be good with Strong if he can figure out the right OC hire. What's happened at Texas, especially on the offensive coaching side, is alarming and scary.

Also, count me as someone who is skeptical about bringing Butch back. Sure, we all remember 2000 - 2001 but to me that is an anomaly as opposed to the norm. We all forget what a terrible game day coach he was prior to that. I certainly recognize the true devastating sanctions that he was dealing with and I also recognize the elite recruiter that Butch is but I am still very skeptical about hiring Butch. People on this board have raised some very valid concerns about his time at UNC as well.

Advertisement
1385222333954.jpeg

Butch as HC, Dorsey as OC, Strong as DC.

Last edited:
DMoney, what are your thoughts on Skrong? It seems to me that he benefited from having Bridgewater bail him out as a coach. I'm not so sure he's good HC material. Seems to be a better DC than HC.

I've discussed this in other poss, but I think he'd kill it here. He is an elite evaluator of talent (like Butch) who put 14 guys in the pros the last two years at Louisville. Most of those guys were three stars or worse. Recruiting ability may be overrated for a head coach, but the ability to evaluate is just as important as Xs and Os.

He already knows the area and does not need to start fresh in terms of relationships. He built elite defenses at South Carolina, Florida and Louisville, so I believe he can do the same here with our talented roster. He would inherit a Bridgewater-type quarterback in Kaaya. The Iowa State loss is concerning, but Butch had plenty of bad losses here (including a meltdown against East Carolina in Year 5 with a loaded roster).

He is my third choice behind Butch and Herman.

That's pretty much exactly where I am:

1) Herman
2) Butch
3) Strong

Advertisement
If Strong's receiving stronger consideration from our admin than Tom Herman, then...well, f***

The search just started. They already know Strong. If Blake becomes sold on Herman, I expect that he will get major consideration.

Also, we have no idea if Herman wants the job. People always ignore that part.

At least the Cristobal foolishness ended. Not sold on Mr. Skrong though. Unlike most on here, I want a thorough search. North, South, East, and West. Any coach who has had success, contact their agents and make them tell you no

Advertisement
I like the " tide is turning" also the Butch and strong candidates are light years ahead of the Golden edsall trestmen candidates

Let's address Ken Dorsey as OC because we're aware of Butch and Strong would repeat the last 10+ years at Miami.

I think Dorsey will be a great OC one day, but I'm done with having coordinators learning on the job. If Dorsey wants to come back as QB coach, I'd be all for that...or even as co-OC with someone more experienced.

If you want Dorsey and a somewhat promotion, name him Assistant/Associate Head Coach and QB coach. I think it is too risky to throw him in the mix with a defensive minded HC.

Dorsey is a rising star. Cam Newton is the talk of the NFL and he is playing smart. Offensive coordinator at a big school is the logical next step for him. The fit with Kaaya is obvious.

It sounds like an awful idea. I do understand that talented position coaches get promotions to Coordinator. I get that. But too me, it would make sense (if you want him as OC) to pair him with an offensive minded coach.

If Herman or Fuente comes in, perhaps it makes more sense.

If you bring in a guy like Hue Jackson too, it makes more sense.

I agree. He's never even been a passing game coordinator or a HS OC. With what we have returning next year and if this team wins the next 4 games, then the expectation should be 11+ wins. I've said this before, but UFs doing it year 1 (with SFL players) in the SEC after 2 seasons that were worse than Golden's. We don't produce year 1, and we'll look like a second tier program with excuse makes that we need more time.

Dorsey will be on his own with a defensive minded HC and there will be no grooming or support for an play caller with ZERO experience. If you bring him in, make him a co-oc with an OC that already has experience. If not, then don't mess around and hire a Doug Meacham, who's been successful at every school that he's been a playcaller. His salary is also the same as Coley's and it would take him out of his Co-OC role with TCU.

Meacham's also played and coached OL, so if they want to bring in Mario as a recruiter (not big on this), he can help mitigate the OL from underperforming.

Last edited:
If Strong's receiving stronger consideration from our admin than Tom Herman, then...well, f***

The search just started. They already know Strong. If Blake becomes sold on Herman, I expect that he will get major consideration.

Also, we have no idea if Herman wants the job. People always ignore that part.

Well if we hold our d!ck in our hand and don't attempt to sell the position, then why should Herman just want the job.

Advertisement
Back