Coaching search update

Butch is the lowest risk selection.

He's the only one being interviewed who's actually been a coach here - and he did well in the role.

He was a difference maker in some areas and good in others - overall, I'd say he's a very good coach...

It's interesting to see how so many fans have gotten cold feet with Butch now that it seems like it could become a reality.

No cold feet for me. Great upside, but high risk. Do I think it's possible that he's unable to do what he's done before? Of course. But the same holds true with those candidates who remain untested. Does that mean I'd have a problem with Herman? Nope, but I wouldn't have 100% confidence in him either. My only two realistic choices are Butch and Herman. I really don't think we have a shot with Kelly or some other big name guy. And I don't want Strong, Mario or Fuentes.

Advertisement
Butch is the lowest risk selection.

He's the only one being interviewed who's actually been a coach here - and he did well in the role.

He was a difference maker in some areas and good in others - overall, I'd say he's a very good coach...

It's interesting to see how so many fans have gotten cold feet with Butch now that it seems like it could become a reality.

No cold feet for me. Great upside, but high risk. Do I think it's possible that he's unable to do what he's done before? Of course. But the same holds true with those candidates who remain untested. Does that mean I'd have a problem with Herman? Nope, but I wouldn't have 100% confidence in him either. My only two realistic choices are Butch and Herman. I really don't think we have a shot with Kelly or some other big name guy. And I don't want Strong, Mario or Fuentes.

The consensus seems to be that he's the safest pick because his floor is 9-10 wins. I disagree with that being what this program needs. This is a town that flocks to teams that dominate. This team has always been either dominant or bust. Yes, those Coker years after the 2003 season were below our standard. We need someone that give us the chance to be an 11 win team in year 1. Tom Herman's the only coach out of all of the candidates that we're discussing that can guarantee us being dominant on one side of the ball. We haven't been dominant on offense or defense in over 10 years. We have almost the entire offense returning, with a superstar type QB. Who's done a better job of maximizing the potential of qb's, Butch or Herman? Maximizing the total offensive production, Butch or Herman? In-fact, as Dmoney pointed out, Herman's defensive stats are also impressive. IMO, this is a program that has to gamble on championship or bust (to be on the same level as our in-state comp. and to bring fan interest), and if we bust, you double down and go for another coach that can bring you a championship.

BTW, Herman destroyed this same Vanderbilt team that's beating the Gators in the swamp.

Advertisement
Back