Coaching Failure in 2016

dhead23

Recruit
Premium
Can someone explain to me how we went 8-4 in 2016? Looking back, that team had enough talent to go 10-2 or better.

This is prob the most underachieving team in the last 15 yrs. Not to say we had elite talent but this was a relatively talented team that should of beat FSU, ND, and UNC that year.

I wonder how our current staff with Cristobal would do with this roster?

QB - Kaaya was good enough
RB - Walton was electric
WR - Ahmon, Coley, Berrios - NFL players
TE - Njoku, Herndon - NFL players
OL - Avg but serviceable. - Scout Team
DE - Chad, Joe Jack, Trent - NFL players
DT - McIntosh, Norton - Drafted late
LB - Shaq, Pinckney - Shaq is borderline elite
CB- Corn, Mike Jack - NFL players
CB, Colbert, Redwine, M Young - NFL players
S - Rayshawn, J Carter, J Johnson - NFL players

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Let’s slow down. They haven’t coached a game yet.

The 2016 staff looked pretty good on paper, too.

HC - Richt
OC - Brown
DC - Diaz

QB - Richt
RB - Brown
WR - Dugans
TE - Hartley
OL - Searles

DL - Kool
LB - Diaz
CB - Rumph
S - Banda

It was more bad luck than anything. 3 of the 4 Ls were by one score or less. Absolutely should have won the FSU and ND games.

Team had an average margin of victory of about 16 points, the most of any of our teams dating back to 2002.

Advertisement
Do you think Cristobal and his staff would have did more with the 2016 team?
Tough to say for sure since Mario has lost some games against less talented teams also. But I think our current OC/qb coach combo would have been much better than Thomas Brown and John Richt, and since two of our losses came at the hands of only 20 points surrendered, there is your 10-2 if we just score one more time.

Can someone explain to me how we went 8-4 in 2016? Looking back, that team had enough talent to go 10-2 or better.

This is prob the most underachieving team in the last 15 yrs. Not to say we had elite talent but this was a relatively talented team that should of beat FSU, ND, and UNC that year.

RB - Walton was electric

Some thoughts.

* Kaaya was a good QB but he lacked a winner's mindset. He was a swinger not a hitter.
* Walton was far from electric. He was serviceable at best. The running game really took off when he got hurt and Travis Homer became the starter. Which one made the NFL?
* Berrios was a late bloomer who had not yet bloomed in 2016.

RB - Walton was electric
A few things - first year of a new coaching regime so it takes time to install a new offense and defense (especially moving back to the 4-3). All 3 LBs were true Freshmen. The OL was horrible.

It actually was the first bowl game won in 10 years and had hope going into the next year when they started 10-0 without a solid QB. After that, it was downhill, but things were looking good at the end of 2016 for once.

Advertisement
I went back and looked at the stats of those 4 losses.

The first 2 could not run the football and FSU had Cook. Could not stop him.

The ND game Brad did not have the best of nights.

The VT game I think Brad got sacked like 9 times.

So looking at the stats it looks like the offense could not get going in those games.

What happened is we got Richted...

We lost the FSU game we should've won due to Special Teams & then started the classic 4 game Richt slide. His teams here at Miami always teetered-tottered & never played consistently when it mattered most.

The Offensive line was abysmal, Seashells had Nick Linder at Center & he was literally doing the splits vs Va Tech, then KC McDermott was also a disaster at LG. The entire line played musical chairs...

The UNC game was a horrendous foreshadowing of what the Richt Offense would eventually become. We couldn’t move the ball & every offensive drive we had stalled out that game, only scored 13 points.

During the 4 game losing streak the Offense was struck with 3 out disease, extremely pedestrian subpar playcalling from Richt & failure to utilize the strengths of the team.

Then of course the Notre Dame game... Eventually Seashells figured out that Gall/Gauthier needed to be injected in the OL in order for us to actually move the ball.

Then for Pitt, UVA, NC St, Duke & West Va Richt finally decided to realize that Kaaya hated the RPO & played more no huddle uptempo which lead to the Offense playing up to their capabilities, putting the ball in Ahmmon's hands more often & using Njoku a lot more.

Vs UVA, NC St & Duke the Defense got it's confidence back & was playing at a high level as well, Malek Young also came on late towards the end of the season & showed flashes of how good he would be giving us a preview of his 2017 season.

RB - Walton was electric
The 2014 team was much more talented especially on the OL and went 6-7