Coaching change

Advertisement
I am not against Bennett but guys like Musselman or Hoiberg should be higher on the list.

I don't think Musselman is going anywhere but a big time state school. I'm looking at guys Miami can conceivably get. Miami can get Bennett, and still have the resources left over to build a **** good staff around him. Bennett is the kind of guy that does more with less, and that's exactly the kind of guy you need at Miami. You need a talent developer, because odds are, you won't be able to consistently elite top tier classes. L has shown us the way in regards to building a consistently competitive Miami program. Yes, I'd make Muss an offer, but odds are, he will end up somewhere like Arizona, where he will be THE guy.

I think Hoiberg is in the same boat, but he's unemployed, which makes him more in play than someone like Muss, who already has a job.

I don't think Musselman is going anywhere but a big time state school. I'm looking at guys Miami can conceivably get. Miami can get Bennett, and still have the resources left over to build a **** good staff around him. Bennett is the kind of guy that does more with less, and that's exactly the kind of guy you need at Miami. You need a talent developer, because odds are, you won't be able to consistently elite top tier classes. L has shown us the way in regards to building a consistently competitive Miami program. Yes, I'd make Muss an offer, but odds are, he will end up somewhere like Arizona, where he will be THE guy.

I think Hoiberg is in the same boat, but he's unemployed, which makes him more in play than someone like Muss, who already has a job.
Do you think Holberg will be available in 2023?

No disrespect but I don’t understand why Miami couldn’t get him. That explains the attitude our decision makers have had (chicken chit simps) but there is no reason he wouldn’t consider us if we gave him a real offer and made him the number one priority.

I am sure our decision makers assumed they couldn’t get a coach like L and they didn’t try. In fact, they didn’t know who he was.

As for talent developer, the game has completely changed. The transfer market is as important as recruiting HS players. Musselman has done it and built something in no time. I don’t care how a coach gets them (i.e. talent); just coach them up and win a chit ton of games.

As for Hoiberg, he is a no brainer too.

I like Bennett, I just don’t see him on par with the other two.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Throw cash at guys like Musselman, Few and Jay Wright.

This is the ACC, enough said.
Mark Few would be fantastic. A friend of mine is a former HS BB coach that would attend all the coaches camps and said that Mark Few was outstanding. Even other big-time college coaches would listen and comment at how forward thinking he was.

Mark Few would be fantastic. A friend of mine is a former HS BB coach that would attend all the coaches camps and said that Mark Few was outstanding. Even other big-time college coaches would listen and comment at how forward thinking he was.

Interesting. Any thoughts on the coaching acumen of Vince Lombardi or John Wooden?

Interesting. Any thoughts on the coaching acumen of Vince Lombardi or John Wooden?
Are you trying to be funny? Because you're basically come off as a ******* douchebag. We know all these coaches have good talent but I was specifying from a friend's experience and how other top-notch coaches were raving about Mark Few. GTFOH troll

Advertisement
I see Billy Kennedy, HC at TAMU, was just fired. BUzz Williams rumored as possible replacement. Lateral move if he went but ... TAMU is literally sitting on oil. Some of the wealthiest alums in the country. They were the first school to pay a football coach an exorbitant amounrt of $$$. Am sure it might not be lateral move in the pay sense.

I see Billy Kennedy, HC at TAMU, was just fired. BUzz Williams rumored as possible replacement. Lateral move if he went but ... TAMU is literally sitting on oil. Some of the wealthiest alums in the country. They were the first school to pay a football coach an exorbitant amounrt of $$$. Am sure it might not be lateral move in the pay sense.
I read somewhere that TAMU is now the wealthiest program...just passed by Texas. A search will bring it up....just lazy right now lol

Advertisement
No disrespect but I don’t understand why Miami couldn’t get him. That explains the attitude our decision makers have had (chicken chit simps) but there is no reason he wouldn’t consider us if we gave him a real offer and made him the number one priority.

I am sure our decision makers assumed they couldn’t get a coach like L and they didn’t try. In fact, they didn’t know who he was.

As for talent developer, the game has completely changed. The transfer market is as important as recruiting HS players. Musselman has done it and built something in no time. I don’t care how a coach gets them (i.e. talent); just coach them up and win a chit ton of games.

As for Hoiberg, he is a no brainer too.

I like Bennett, I just don’t see him on par with the other two.

Musselman isn't going to make a move unless he has every tool at his disposal. That's why I see him as a guy that will hold out for a job that is better than Miami. Miami isn't a top 25 job. Period. It just isn't. You have little fan support even if you win, the only time anyone cares is if you are really, freaky good and you have to deal with multiple blue bloods in conference. The school has invested in the program, but you aren't dealing with an infinite budget. You are at best the second most important coach on campus, and lord help you if Miami baseball gets back on track. I didn't say that you shouldn't make an offer, but Miami should be looking to make a forward thinking hire, not a "We can throw big money at the hottest name out there and expect him to show up" hire. Randy Bennett, Nate Oats, those guys are guys Miami can not only afford, but will do well within the framework of what the Miami program is. L was a weird happenstance, a guy near the end of his run, who was comfortable that happened to have a special place in his heart for Miami. Had L not been older when he found success at GMU, odds are he would have ended up in a better job.

Say what you want but Pitino is a great basketball coach and knows how to bring out the best out of his players,besides that a **** good recruiter. I know he done some dumb **** true enough but every man deserves a 2nd chance. Who without sin cast the 1st stone,I'm just saying.

Yes, I know, UM is dying to hire a coach with personal, ethical and NCAA baggage.
Just what UM is looking for after the last 10 years or so.
These posts are amazing.
Totally tone deaf of history.
How long have you been following UM hoops?

Not so sure that is a lateral move, at least not for a Texan which is the case with Buzz, and Texans
tend to end up returning to their home state (except Jimmy Johnson, of course).
Additionally, as noted, money won't be an issue.

Advertisement
Musselman isn't going to make a move unless he has every tool at his disposal. That's why I see him as a guy that will hold out for a job that is better than Miami. Miami isn't a top 25 job. Period. It just isn't. You have little fan support even if you win, the only time anyone cares is if you are really, freaky good and you have to deal with multiple blue bloods in conference. The school has invested in the program, but you aren't dealing with an infinite budget. You are at best the second most important coach on campus, and lord help you if Miami baseball gets back on track. I didn't say that you shouldn't make an offer, but Miami should be looking to make a forward thinking hire, not a "We can throw big money at the hottest name out there and expect him to show up" hire. Randy Bennett, Nate Oats, those guys are guys Miami can not only afford, but will do well within the framework of what the Miami program is. L was a weird happenstance, a guy near the end of his run, who was comfortable that happened to have a special place in his heart for Miami. Had L not been older when he found success at GMU, odds are he would have ended up in a better job.

Coach L was happy at GMU until they switched ADs. His age had nothing to do with it. Had had multiple high major offers after his Final 4 run. He turned them down.

Yes, Miami is not a basketball school. But the success both Ham and L have had here does make this an attractive job, as long as the admin is willing to pay.

I do agree Oats and Bennett would be good hires. With his history of recruiting violations though, Bennett would never get hired.

Before I begin, I think we’re on different pages.

Honestly I stopped after the first sentence. Do you know Musselman? How can you make such assumptions about him or any coach not affiliated with the program? Are there public comments out there, that he made?

My point is that if you make a real offer and sell your program (not expect some top candidate to sell you); you may be surprised. If we “assume” it can’t be done before you try, this is the issue.

Musselman may not want to come here regardless but let’s not act like someone making his salary in Reno is out of reach. Until he signs a major offer, from someone else, then he is coaching basketball in Reno.

Last edited:
Not so sure that is a lateral move, at least not for a Texan which is the case with Buzz, and Texans
tend to end up returning to their home state (except Jimmy Johnson, of course).
Additionally, as noted, money won't be an issue.
Did not know he was a Texan. That could definitely be a factor! Think I read somewhere the Texas job may soon be open too.

I'll give Rick Pitino a call. Give him another chance.

What would have been in 2000 had it not been leaked. Pitino wanted out in Boston. I still maintain that Leonard wanted Dwight Freeman as his replacement. When that wasn't going to happen we ended up with Perry Clark, whom Leonard had a say in it as well.

Advertisement
Back