Coaching Carousel- Merged Coaching Musical Chairs Thread

Advertisement
Some background on the process:

As of Sunday night, neither Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian nor Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele had been interviewed.

Gus Malzahn was fired on Dec. 13 after eight seasons. Despite being urged to immediately name Steele the head coach, Auburn president Jay Gogue said he wanted a committee. Last Tuesday, Gogue appointed an eight-member “advisory group” to help in the search for a replacement.

Interviews have been conducted by three of those committee members - athletics director Allen Greene, university COO Gen. Ron Burgess and trustee Quentin Riggins, a former All-SEC Auburn linebacker. The roles of the other five members are uncertain.

What a **** show. They're about to end up with Bill Clark. 20Ms to fire Malzahn to be turned down by most of the top candidates and a G5 school.

I think Clark would do a lot better than they anticipate.

They're a traditional 8 win team and he would probably take them to be a 9-10 win team year over year. They just haven't been able to compete from a toughest perspective in the trenches and Clark would fix that.

The rest depends on who runs his offense.

Advertisement
I read there’s a weird power struggle going on with the Auburn boosters right now. Some are pushing hard for them to promote Steele (lmao). Can’t blame Napier for turning it down, Auburn’s wild

I think Clark would do a lot better than they anticipate.

They're a traditional 8 win team and he would probably take them to be a 9-10 win team year over year. They just haven't been able to compete from a toughest perspective in the trenches and Clark would fix that.

The rest depends on who runs his offense.
I don't think it's a bad hire, but def will be unpopular with them. They coughed up $20M to fire Malzahn and have the most appealing job on the market. Interested in seeing how he'd fill out a P5 staff. Recruiting will be super important to his success.

I don't think it's a bad hire, but def will be unpopular with them. They coughed up $20M to fire Malzahn and have the most appealing job on the market. Interested in seeing how he'd fill out a P5 staff. Recruiting will be super important to his success.
They just paid $20 million to win 1 more game a year and still lose to Alabama. That's the reality of it. It doesn't matter who they hire if it is someone from the college ranks.

It was an ego move and just a relationship that has gone stale and they felt they couldn't take it anymore.

None of the recycled SEC names can beat Saban. The only one that did got caught cheating and is all but abolished from the SEC. The 2019 LSU lightning in a bottle isn't going to happen to anyone else any time soon. There's only 3 options to get anyone else over the hump of Saban and Dabo: Urban Meyer (won't be happening), strike gold on the next Saban or Dabo (nobody knows who it is - it is none of the recycled SEC coaches), or get a guy to step down from the NFL or hire one of the best coordinators in the NFL and that isn't even likely to fix it.

Advertisement
They need to go after Hugh freeze and lane kiffin and call it a day. Perfect fit, great recruiters and offensive minded head coaches who has shown the ability to give bama a run for their money even with talent disparities with their teams

Advertisement
Auburn is actually a low key shîtty job, just off the fact you’re in the West with an Immovable Object like Bama & have to deal with LSU, TAMU & Ole Miss.

It’s very good recruiting program, AU usually tends to get a good % of their top targets (unless Bama wants’em lol), but aside from the recruiting if you’re not an X’s & O’s genius that can catch Bama asleep as that wheel in the Iron Bowl every so often you’re screwed at AU for as long as Saban is there.

If their fans & boosters have the championship or bust expectation & actually expect for you to beat Bama annually, it’s not a good job for a Coach that has aspirations of doing something more than win 8/9 games a year & routinely finish 3rd or 4th in the West.

Makes perfect sense that Napier wouldn’t take that job, but I could fully see a Alabama lifer like Bill Clark taking that job in a heartbeat, he’s probably the 2nd best coach in the state & with increased resources is someone who will do really well with local Alabama & surrounding Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina etc area recruiting.

Clark is from Alabama, went to Jacksonville State (in Alabama), coached at multiple HS’s in Bama & has coached at an Alabama school for every single job he’s had in his career in High school & college, Auburn would be the perfect stepping stone for him to elevate himself within the region where he’s already considered one of the best coaches not named Saban.

Is it because you want Napier here as our next coach Liberty? I hope the selfishly don’t hire Bull Clark because that’s the guy I want here next. Of course either one are miles and miles ahead of Manny Mouse and his fan club staff. Was just curious to who you would pick out of the two Bills to be our next head coach?
Napier is the much better fit in Miami than Clark.

Malzahn had probably max'd out, but does anyone really think these guys are going to take them to the next level? I don't. I can't imagine paying that much money unless you've got a knockout on the way. I don't see a knockout, at all. I see a lot more 8-9 win seasons in Auburn's future.

Advertisement
Auburn is actually a low key shîtty job, just off the fact you’re in the West with an Immovable Object like Bama & have to deal with LSU, TAMU & Ole Miss.

It’s very good recruiting program, AU usually tends to get a good % of their top targets (unless Bama wants’em lol), but aside from the recruiting if you’re not an X’s & O’s genius that can catch Bama asleep as that wheel in the Iron Bowl every so often you’re screwed at AU for as long as Saban is there.

If their fans & boosters have the championship or bust expectation & actually expect for you to beat Bama annually, it’s not a good job for a Coach that has aspirations of doing something more than win 8/9 games a year & routinely finish 3rd or 4th in the West.

Makes perfect sense that Napier wouldn’t take that job, but I could fully see a Alabama lifer like Bill Clark taking that job in a heartbeat, he’s probably the 2nd best coach in the state & with increased resources is someone who will do really well with local Alabama & surrounding Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina etc area recruiting.

Clark is from Alabama, went to Jacksonville State (in Alabama), coached at multiple HS’s in Bama & has coached at an Alabama school for every single job he’s had in his career in High school & college, Auburn would be the perfect stepping stone for him to elevate himself within the region where he’s already considered one of the best coaches not named Saban.
Agree Liberty, he’s a home run hire for them for sure!

Advertisement
Back