Coach O on Kevin Steele as a recruiter

Advertisement
Just heard Coach O on Colin Cowherd's podcast. Colin asked him who the best recruiters he saw- he said Tosh Lupoi, Kevin Steele and Nick Saban. Said "if you go against Kevin Steele you better be ready.
He was national recruiter of the year before. Pretty sure he didn't forget that skillset in such a short period of time.

As exciting as that sounds, his coaching acumen and toughness after the slip n slide nonsense we had before sounds even better. The only reason people liked Diaz as DC was because we had set a terribly low expectation for ourselves after D'onofrio. Now, we can raise our expectations again recruiting and coaching with this guy.

Back in the day, I want to say Steele got guys like Ernie Sims, etc. but it's hard to recall.

He was national recruiter of the year before. Pretty sure he didn't forget that skillset in such a short period of time.

As exciting as that sounds, his coaching acumen and toughness after the slip n slide nonsense we had before sounds even better. The only reason people liked Diaz as DC was because we had set a terribly low expectation for ourselves after D'onofrio. Now, we can raise our expectations again recruiting and coaching with this guy.

Back in the day, I want to say Steele got guys like Ernie Sims, etc. but it's hard to recall.
I was just about to ask this..He was on Bobbys staff wasnt he at FSU? And Bobby IMO is still to this day the greatest to ever do it when it comes to recruiting. So he cut his teeth with the best.

I was just about to ask this..He was on Bobbys staff wasnt he at FSU? And Bobby IMO is still to this day the greatest to ever do it when it comes to recruiting. So he cut his teeth with the best.

Bobby, Tom Osborne, Saban, etc. 3 of the greatest to ever do it liked him at various points in his career.

Advertisement

This is very true. I had read all of the candid comments from opposing coaches and heard stuff about Manny’s defense being gimmicky but when it comes to just playing ball and scheming X&O when it’s needed, he can’t do it.

He had me bought in at one point but it was totally predicated on turnovers and getting them at an insane rate. The gimmicks worked until we played Pitt, Clemson, and Wisconsin in 2017 - the 3 most well-coaches teams and we got pushed around. Not sustainable.

Steele has proven sustained success with or without an insane amount of turnovers, with or without sacks and TFL, and just base off scheme, X&O, fundamentals, and tackling.

This is very true. I had read all of the candid comments from opposing coaches and heard stuff about Manny’s defense being gimmicky but when it comes to just playing ball and scheming X&O when it’s needed, he can’t do it.

He had me bought in at one point but it was totally predicated on turnovers and getting them at an insane rate. The gimmicks worked until we played Pitt, Clemson, and Wisconsin in 2017 - the 3 most well-coaches teams and we got pushed around. Not sustainable.

Steele has proven sustained success with or without an insane amount of turnovers, with or without sacks and TFL, and just base off scheme, X&O, fundamentals, and tackling.
Do you think with our athletes plus his defensive philosophy we can create even more havoc with turnovers and TFL than his pervious teams…

Advertisement
I also love the idea of getting real recruiters paired with Mario. We’ve had some standalone recruiters who were paired with mediocre recruiters. Golden took an active role and they identified talent well but man Manny seems to be a lazy **** with recruiting. Excellent at branding but ****** in action.

When Shemar said he has been on campus 5+ times but never to Manny’s office…..HE WAS A FKN defensive coach who didn’t invite the areas best talent?

page hop GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Just heard Coach O on Colin Cowherd's podcast. Colin asked him who the best recruiters he saw- he said Tosh Lupoi, Kevin Steele and Nick Saban. Said "if you go against Kevin Steele you better be ready.

Same thing my friend said who played at Tennessee.

Steele is legit. Only concern possibly would be age and how long does he want to keep doing it.

45B3941F-0B84-447C-995D-854860C4456A.jpeg

Advertisement
Back