Coach O on Kevin Steele as a recruiter

Just heard Coach O on Colin Cowherd's podcast. Colin asked him who the best recruiters he saw- he said Tosh Lupoi, Kevin Steele and Nick Saban. Said "if you go against Kevin Steele you better be ready.
Happy Birthday Reaction GIF

Advertisement
The only reason people liked Diaz as DC was because we had set a terribly low expectation for ourselves after D'onofrio.
Agree on Steele being higher level, but I think the backlash has swung too far in the other direction on Manny's defense. He had an average year and a bad year after four good years. Much of it was recruiting, IMO.

Penn State will be an interesting test case. It is a good job.

Advertisement
Would be dope to have him as analyst or defensive coach... what's his next move? He could probably get a power 5 HC offer at some point again but he ain't gonna work in most places.
There's a list of about 5 people banned from the University of Miami.

Coach O is on that list.

And given some of his recent off the field antics, including some of the stuff that got him fired, seems like he hasn't changed much from his glory days at The U, and if I don't say so myself -- the talent in the 305 is so much better now than it was in the 90's. That man would lose his mind.

Great post. Was not aware of Steele's recruiting prowess. I ASSUMED because of his age he'd not be a particularly good recruiter but I guess that was a bad assumption.

Advertisement
Agree on Steele being higher level, but I think the backlash has swung too far in the other direction on Manny's defense. He had an average year and a bad year after four good years. Much of it was recruiting, IMO.

Manny fluffed up his numbers against garbage competition. But I agree: the lack of recruiting showed the massive holes in his coaching in the latter years.

PSU is, supposedly, LB U

Mannys D hates LBs

It should be interesting!

Seriously, I want to see if Manny adjusts his D some bit. If his DLine is just going to fly upfield, in the Big10, that UNC game will replay every week at PSU.

I think he fails miserably there. Penn State was always a gap sound defense that allowed their LBs to make plays. That’s why linebackers go to Penn State. Manny’s defense is the opposite and I expect the Big10 run teams to shred it.

Can’t run his defense when his Lb suck and front 4 gets zero pressure. Also he doesn’t know how to cover the middle of the field. It’s ALWAYS OPEN!

high risk/high reward but Miami didn’t create the turnovers the last 2 years and he got exposed

Advertisement
I think he fails miserably there. Penn State was always a gap sound defense that allowed their LBs to make plays. That’s why linebackers go to Penn State. Manny’s defense is the opposite and I expect the Big10 run teams to shred it.
The weakest aspect of Manuel’s Defense has always been run defending, even going back to his Texas days.

We saw what happened over the years in his system when we played Wisconsin (2x), Mich ST & even a B1G style team like Boston College. Teams like Purdue, OH ST & even Michigan will run roughshod over the Manny Defense.

Wasn't Penn State once called Linebacker U? They do know how well Manny recruits LBs, right? ;)

Would be dope to have him as analyst or defensive coach... what's his next move? He could probably get a power 5 HC offer at some point again but he ain't gonna work in most places.
He’s living in Miami. Don’t be surprised if he shows up at a spring practice he’s said he wants to take a year off but these coach’s get that coaching itch and he could come on as a analyst.

Advertisement
There's a list of about 5 people banned from the University of Miami.

Coach O is on that list.

And given some of his recent off the field antics, including some of the stuff that got him fired, seems like he hasn't changed much from his glory days at The U, and if I don't say so myself -- the talent in the 305 is so much better now than it was in the 90's. That man would lose his mind.
O loved to drink and smack coeds around back in the day here

He’s living in Miami. Don’t be surprised if he shows up at a spring practice he’s said he wants to take a year off but these coach’s get that coaching itch and he could come on as a analyst.
Pretty sure he’s living in destin fl.

Lots of friends who are thrilled with the hire of Diass. I tell them wait I he actually has to recruit LB's.

Advertisement
Back