Coach L's run...

canesstevealum08

"Wyatt, I am rolling!"
Premium
First, he's terrific. A real teacher, program salesman. He's putting us in better recruiting circles. However, to me, despite all Americans signing, he has yet to reach Leonard's level. Every time he has a young guard heavy team their growth severely stunts the previous year's success. He seems to really struggle molding new rosters into NCAA teams. Take two years ago, reaching NIT finals, had that been an NCAA team, he most likely changes program perception sooner. His version of elite recruits are usually too raw to contribute solo.

His lack of consecutive tourney appearances will fail to change the perception of the job nationally. I actually think that a power 5 assistant after L retires would do well here. Once again, L is fantastic! He does lack consistent program progress and that doesn't move the Miami job beyond where Ham had it before going to D.C. Thoughts? (If they rally this season and do make it, I may change my outlook of his tenure)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Oh Lord. He has the # 7 recruiting class in the nation coming in. Look at Haith's ACC records before L got there. Look at how much better the ACC is today. Look at L's ACC record each year. L is building a program and within a couple of years we will be at a point where we are reloading rather than rebuilding, but we are Miami basketball, not Duke or Kentucky. You can't do this in 3-4 years. Also, it took Hamilton a decade to reach the pinnacle of his success.

NS, I'm Simply saying something is missing whether it's depth or roster turn over. I just think not every down year should be resigned to an NIT bid.

NS, I'm Simply saying something is missing whether it's depth or roster turn over. I just think not every down year should be resigned to an NIT bid.

And what I'm saying is, look at the this year's recruiting class + last year's. He's building a program to the point where we will be reloading, not rebuilding. We're just not there yet.

Advertisement
I love and appreciate what Hamilton did for UM, but we are in perfectly good hands with Coach L. Hamilton has been at FSU forever, and he still has off, NIT bound years. Maintaining a top 3 ACC program year in and year out just isn't easy. Wait a couple years and get back to me before proclaiming that "something is missing" with Larranga's formula. You might even ultimately be correct. But it's too early in his time here to make that call. My biggest concern at this point in the year is that Huell doesn't get discouraged and move on. We need him to keep developing so we have a deep, talented roster next year.

I love and appreciate what Hamilton did for UM, but we are in perfectly good hands with Coach L. Hamilton has been at FSU forever, and he still has off, NIT bound years. Maintaining a top 3 ACC program year in and year out just isn't easy. Wait a couple years and get back to me before proclaiming that "something is missing" with Larranga's formula. You might even ultimately be correct. But it's too early in his time here to make that call. My biggest concern at this point in the year is that Huell doesn't get discouraged and move on. We need him to keep developing so we have a deep, talented roster next year.

Hamilton has been at FSU for 15 years and assuming they make the NCAAs this year it'll only be their 5th NCAAs. With this year's 6-1 start, he's 120-119 in the ACC. He's had 7 losing seasons in 14 (not counting this year) seasons in the ACC at FSU.

Advertisement
This is Leonard's best team, they are loaded.

Coach L is a good coach.

Problem is in our league he is like the 6th or 7th best HC.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is Miami, not freaking Kentucky or Duke where you are getting NBA players every cycle. Yes, there will be down years in which you go to the NIT and then build to something special. When L got here, he inherited an upperclass team, and when they graduated, he had little to work with, but made that team one of the toughest outs in the country, they were a team that played above their talent level. Once he reloaded, he cashed in and ran with it. Frankly, the only year you can really be ****ed about under him was two years ago, that team should have been good enough to sneak into the tournament, but Angel Rodriguez stunk in conference play.

Coach L has changed the entire culture and perception surrounding a perennial basement dwelling "program". If you think you know better than him and his staff about who to recruit and sign...you are delusional. What...after 30 years of pure rubbish on the hardwood we now simply deserve to be the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world? This will take a decade to make sustainable. It's happening...slowly but with sustainability. This is how you grow a program for good.

First, he's terrific. A real teacher, program salesman. He's putting us in better recruiting circles. However, to me, despite all Americans signing, he has yet to reach Leonard's level. Every time he has a young guard heavy team their growth severely stunts the previous year's success. He seems to really struggle molding new rosters into NCAA teams. Take two years ago, reaching NIT finals, had that been an NCAA team, he most likely changes program perception sooner. His version of elite recruits are usually too raw to contribute solo.

His lack of consecutive tourney appearances will fail to change the perception of the job nationally. I actually think that a power 5 assistant after L retires would do well here. Once again, L is fantastic! He does lack consistent program progress and that doesn't move the Miami job beyond where Ham had it before going to D.C. Thoughts? (If they rally this season and do make it, I may change my outlook of his tenure)

**** u

ACC records before Coach L

7-9
7-9
4-12
8-8
7-9
4-12
6-10

ACC records after Coach L

9-7
15-3
7-11
10-8
13-5
2-4

We went from actual crowds of 3-4,000 for ACC games to an occasional sellout for Duke and UNC to actual crowds of 6,000+ for ACC with sellouts for more than just UNC and Duke.

We went from getting good recruits and some good transfers to getting multiple top 10/20/30 recruits, 5-stars, McDonalds All-Americans, and a # 7 recruiting class this year.

Advertisement
Back