Coach Kool on WQAM - 4/10/17

RVACane

Maude•Gone•Rogue
Maude
Going live on QB's was a new thing in a scrimmage for Kool. Just tried to play like it's a normal game without hurting anyone. The defense was excited about it. Said he's stoked where our D is right now but can be much better. Being great last year means we have expectations and are not under anyone's radar.

As to the difference between him and other D line coaches, he said that other coaches spend more time in other areas whereas he wants them working on attacking and being instinctive. We can rotate guys so they know they won't be exhausted and they can cut it loose. Said that there are a lot of shotgun teams in college football that appear like they're passing teams but they're really not. As to transfers/incoming freshman, right now we're focused on getting kids that are here better and when a new kid comes in hopefully they can make us better.

Up to now Chad Thomas and Joe Jackson have had a great spring. Demetrius Jackson's been great. All backups are playing like starters. Mentioned Garvin getting a sack on 1st play of scrimmage. Credited Diaz for linebacker play last year and never expected that and said they've taken a step up this spring. Said Mike Smith and Darrion Owens have been playing at a high level.

Likes coaching every day, not so much recruiting. Joked and said he likes recruiting for about 2 weeks and it goes about 6 weeks.

The entire interview should be available around 10 am under The Joe Rose Show and can be accessed here:

Audio « CBS Miami

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thanks for the summary. Coach Kool IMO is the most important coach on our D. He's been a Grand Slam hire ever since he stepped foot on campus.

Has anyone heard anything about Scott Patchan and his progress after his injury? Probably the most underrated guy on the line if he's healthy.

Everyone stays healthy and it's going to be an overdose on asskicking!

As always, thanks [MENTION=9338]RVACane[/MENTION] for the summary/link

Very good news about Owens and Smith. After this year's class, we should have about the right level of quality and depth for this position group.....

Advertisement
There must have been a lot of behind the scenes drama for Missouri to let him go. They paid for it last year.

I hope Kool & Diaz have great understudies who are taking notes and want to be great themselves. Is Kareem Brown still around?

finally have depth with the back ups the team is ready to take the next step and be a big time school again

Advertisement
Bethels progress could be critical. We might be light on experienced bodies next year in a hurry.

Advertisement
I hope he enjoys recruiting at least a little bit. Sounds like a guy who wants to be in the NFL sooner rather than later. Can't blame him for that though, gotta appreciate every year we get out of him.

I hope Kool & Diaz have great understudies who are taking notes and want to be great themselves. Is Kareem Brown still around?

Yep, Kareem is still their working alongside Kool.

Brown is the director of player development now. Whatever that is. He was a ga but richt brought in his guys.
[MENTION=1858]jw410[/MENTION] had previously mentioned in an exchange with [MENTION=1279]gogeta4[/MENTION] that he knows Kareem Brown personally. Maybe he knows if Brown is part of the coaching future there???

Advertisement
I hope he enjoys recruiting at least a little bit. Sounds like a guy who wants to be in the NFL sooner rather than later. Can't blame him for that though, gotta appreciate every year we get out of him.

I've heard, Kool absolutely loves the environment and staff. I hope that translates to an extended stay in "paradise"!

Loves coaching and hates recruiting eh?
NFL will be where he goes next. And he will probably stay there a while.
Hopefully after he helps us win a couple Championships.

Advertisement
Back