Coach Kool on WQAM - 4/10/17

I hope he enjoys recruiting at least a little bit. Sounds like a guy who wants to be in the NFL sooner rather than later. Can't blame him for that though, gotta appreciate every year we get out of him.

He could have already been in the NFL if that's where he wanted to be.

You guys read too much into stray jokey comments. No wonder coaches usually only give us coachspeak.

Advertisement
I hope he enjoys recruiting at least a little bit. Sounds like a guy who wants to be in the NFL sooner rather than later. Can't blame him for that though, gotta appreciate every year we get out of him.

You guys read too much into stray jokey comments. No wonder coaches usually only give us coachspeak.

This is exactly how I interpreted it when I listened to the interview. If Folden got an NFL job as a position coach, certainly Kool could've. He seems happy here, he just likes the coaching aspects best. I think [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] mentioned previously that Kool has guys helping him out on the recruiting side as well.

This is exactly how I interpreted it when I listened to the interview. If Folden got an NFL job as a position coach, certainly Kool could've. He seems happy here, he just likes the coaching aspects best. I think [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] mentioned previously that Kool has guys helping him out on the recruiting side as well.

If he said guys help Kool recruit then you can take it to the bank. DJ Johnson helped him recruit this past cycle by recruiting himself to UM.

The jets or some other team were interested in Kool this year. If he wanted to jump to the NFL he would have. That is when he got associate head coach title. He seems like a college guy. Moving on the be a dc is the more likely scenario.

He's a true Football Coach, when he says doesn't like recruiting, he means he doesn't like the idea of convincing kids to come play for him...

Coach Kool is literally the best DLine Coach in the country, therefore he don't give two ***** about who it is, he just knows he can maximize the talent of whoever you put in front of him.

He could take Wake Forest's or Rutgers DL & have them playing like All-Americans, that his specialty...
He's not a salesman, he's a technician.

Even with that said, he's still one of the best recruiters we have on staff, for a guy who doesn't "like" it, he hits homeruns every **** time he steps foot off the G4 & shows up to a recruits living room.

Last edited:
Advertisement

If he said guys help Kool recruit then you can take it to the bank. DJ Johnson helped him recruit this past cycle by recruiting himself to UM.

I can't recall if it's people on staff or former players he was referring to. Either way, DJ recruited himself as you said. I do recall him being involved with Jeff Thomas' recruitment because he knew the coach in East St. Louis from his days at Mizzou.

The jets or some other team were interested in Kool this year. If he wanted to jump to the NFL he would have. That is when he got associate head coach title. He seems like a college guy. Moving on the be a dc is the more likely scenario.

I see nothing about this guy that says he wants to be anything other than a DL coach.. Not everyone wants to call plays and be involved in that part of the game-planning or overall recruiting picture the way DCs need to be.. Seems like Kool found his coaching niche and is very secure with being really good at what he does, and his tenure at Mizzou suggests he values stability. He now has about as much autonomy and salary as an assistant coach can have without the additional responsibility of a coordinator title.

Kool wants to live in paradise, feel appreciated, mold young men, and be well paid to do what he loves to do..Sounds like he's got everything he wants and will not be leaving Miami anytime soon..

Last edited:
I hear ya Franchise. My point is I don't think he's gonna just hang up the phone in the offseason if teams start calling. I hope he's here for a while but you never know.

Advertisement

I see nothing about this guy that says he wants to be anything other than a DL coach.. Not everyone wants to call plays and be involved in that part of the game-planning or overall recruiting picture the way DCs need to be.. Seems like Kool found his coaching niche and is very secure with being really good at what he does, and his tenure at Mizzou suggests he values stability. He now has about as much autonomy and salary as an assistant coach can have without the additional responsibility of a coordinator title.

Kool wants to live in paradise, feel appreciated, mold young men, and be well paid to do what he loves to do..Sounds like he's got everything he wants and will not be leaving Miami anytime soon..

You missed Kool saying out of his own mouth that he wants to move up the coaching ladder. He said he wants to be a DC and then a HC.

When he took the Miami job there were several other teams after him. My first thought was he knew he'd have job security and stability with Mark Richt, not just the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. He knows full well Richt will coach here as long as he wants, barring complete failure, and with him coaching the D-line I seriously doubt we will see complete failure.

There must have been a lot of behind the scenes drama for Missouri to let him go. They paid for it last year.

The new HC didn't want him to bump heads with the DC or something like that i think.

They switched to a 3-4 system. Odom wanted his own guy in there to teach different technique. Respects Kul, but schematically they weren't going to fit.

I appreciate you breaking down the interview for us! Excited to see the defense this year!

Last edited:
Advertisement

You missed Kool saying out of his own mouth that he wants to move up the coaching ladder. He said he wants to be a DC and then a HC.

What Kool said himself is just a minor and insignificant detail to be ignored. It's more accurate to take shreds of out-of-context second-hand quotes and construct elaborate assumptions about Kools thoughts and plans for his own career.

What Kool said himself is just a minor and insignificant detail to be ignored. It's more accurate to take shreds of out-of-context second-hand quotes and construct elaborate assumptions about Kools thoughts and plans for his own career.
Money.

Recruiting is being a salesman. I don't doubt a guy like Kool hates it. He isn't corny, he isn't full of ****, and that's what 99% of it is anymore. Be real and produce. That's what he does and that's probably what he wants in all his players. Old school.

Advertisement

This is exactly how I interpreted it when I listened to the interview. If Folden got an NFL job as a position coach, certainly the corn in my sh*t could've. He seems happy here, he just likes the coaching aspects best. I think [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] mentioned previously that Kool has guys helping him out on the recruiting side as well.

There .... fixed it for you.

This is exactly how I interpreted it when I listened to the interview. If Folden got an NFL job as a position coach, certainly the corn in my sh*t could've. He seems happy here, he just likes the coaching aspects best. I think [MENTION=12910]Brooklyndee[/MENTION] mentioned previously that Kool has guys helping him out on the recruiting side as well.

There .... fixed it for you.

Yep... You sure did!

Very good news about Owens and Smith. After this year's class, we should have about the right level of quality and depth for this position group.....
Perry has stepped it up too. I read somewhere that He may be giving McCloud a run for his money

Money.

Recruiting is being a salesman. I don't doubt a guy like Kool hates it. He isn't corny, he isn't full of ****, and that's what 99% of it is anymore. Be real and produce. That's what he does and that's probably what he wants in all his players. Old school.

everyone has different competitive advantages. he''s a salesman, but not the rah rah one. his skills and his track record sell for themselves and that's his advantage.

Advertisement
Back