CMR on Joe Rose right now on the freshmen QB

And we have also heard Thomas Brown and Dugans comment on Williams abilities. It's a tricky situation right now. Frankly, not getting MJJ committed really screws Jarren the most. Without an incoming quality QB, CMR cannot risk losing any of the three he has right now. Not one of them. Assuming he feels Williams is the QB going forward, how can he push him ahead of Kosi or Cade- even in practice - without leaving himself open to possible QB disaster? That situation may resolve itself by the end of fall but for right now it isn't helping Jarren Williams. This is not a new debate - there are multiple threads already about it.

I know a lot of people are really on the Kosi train but personally, I just don't see it. He is physically talented but I think if he were going to "get it" and be the guy, the past 18 months of practice, and QB room film and coaching, etc would be more evident. It's not an easy job and by all accounts, he came into it with less than desirable experience in a few important areas. Just my 2 cents
he doesnt havea presence on the field. he used to play sandlot ball in hs. williams has a presence. even weldon has a presence. i could be wrong but i dont see it. he could still wind up better than rosier

Advertisement
On Perry one 'real' drive Dallas got the ball the first two plays so he could get his 100-yard day. No issue there. Shouldn't be. After that Lo got a carry on first down, Perry fumbled the snap on second down (appeared to be a pass play), and Lo got a carry on the third and long play. Punt. Not much of an opportunity, but two or three pass attempts aren't going to be meaningful.

Perry should have come in for the possession after Bandy's interception. The game was already decided, and there was enough time on the clock to call plays as if it sort of mattered.

Claiming you want to see what the backup QB(s) can do in game situations and then having Perry run a stripped down clock offense is irreconcilable to anyone with an IQ higher than wet cabbage. This was another blown opportunity by a comfortable HC to get his backup QB some meaningful game reps.

Mark Richt needs to start playing Perry and not just in mop up duty. We have alot of tune up games, FIU, UNC, FSU etc leading up to VT in Blacksburg. That will be our season defining game. The LSU loss looks less bad weekly. They may defeat one of UGA or Bama

Sorry, no. The loss looks less bad, but they're still sucking on offense real bad. I think we all know that train will eventually derail unless their QB can get his completion percentage above 50%. Like Rosier, I don't see any reason he would get better.

Advertisement
Claiming you want to see what the backup QB(s) can do in game situations and then having Perry run a stripped down clock offense is irreconcilable to anyone with an IQ higher than wet cabbage. This was another blown opportunity by a comfortable HC to get his backup QB some meaningful game reps.

When was he supposed to put him in? Toledo made it a 2 possession game before halftime and then proceeded to score on 4 possessions in a row. The offense was playing well, and Rosier had a few key completions during our answering drives, where we absolutely needed to keep scoring. That wasn't the time to just "see what the backups can do." Anyone with an IQ higher than cabbage can see that.

Plus I get that when Perry is in you want to see him slinging it around, but managing situations is an important aspect of being a qb also. It was literally his first playing time against an fbs opponent. Minor as it was, it gets him a little bit more comfortable just being out there, and managing how to close out a game. Would you have preferred something like the missed snap to happen on a drive after Toledo made it a one possession game? *Not blaming Perry, but he is the qb and it happened when he was out there and those types of things are going to happen with inexperienced qb.

Joe asked him: what about the freshman QBs, are they ready?

CMR said: We are to the point with them, that we can’t learn more about them until you get them in the game, just have to be careful, you want to make sure the timing is right to get them in. But its about that time to get them in, they are ready.

Earlier on he talked about what a great game Rosier had, talked about the great block he had on the Thomas run as well!.
Too many freshmen and red shirt freshman have started and performed well over many years. Sick of this CMR passive BS when we know how bad of a passer Rosier is. And I’m sure Perry is a better runner

When was he supposed to put him in? Toledo made it a 2 possession game before halftime and then proceeded to score on 4 possessions in a row. The offense was playing well, and Rosier had a few key completions during our answering drives, where we absolutely needed to keep scoring. That wasn't the time to just "see what the backups can do." Anyone with an IQ higher than cabbage can see that.

Plus I get that when Perry is in you want to see him slinging it around, but managing situations is an important aspect of being a qb also. It was literally his first playing time against an fbs opponent. Minor as it was, it gets him a little bit more comfortable just being out there, and managing how to close out a game. Would you have preferred something like the missed snap to happen on a drive after Toledo made it a one possession game? *Not blaming Perry, but he is the qb and it happened when he was out there and those types of things are going to happen with inexperienced qb.
You guys are too scared. You’d take an 18 year old Ernie McCracken and make him bowl with bumpers on the lanes because you’d think he wasn’t “ready” to bowl in a non-developmentally disadvantaged manner.

If your backup QB, who is in his 2nd year in your system, isn’t ready to throw the ball against a G5 team up 20 with 8 minutes left, then you suck when it comes to developing and/or identifying QBs.

It was probably addressed in the previous 9 pages but that WAS a nice block Rosier threw. And it wasn't on some 5'9" 165lb db either.

Look, say what you will about the kid (and I've said it too) but he's not afraid of contact. Kaaya would've crumpled to the ground just based off of the wind gust of the approaching tackler and Morris would've ran to the opposite sideline in order to protect his "draft stock". Kyle Wright would've been 46 yds out of position and then immediately ran to Barry Jackson after the play to blame it on having too many offensive coordinators.

Would've been a non-issue for Kenny Dorsey as he would've just hit Andre Johnson 3 plays earlier for a TD.

Advertisement
How quickly you phaggots forget that Richt was doing everything in his power in the off season to not start Rosier this year. He still had to start him. You think he really wants to start Rosier? I'm positive that Perry looked like **** in practice ans during the spring and summer if Rosier beat him out, because Richt made it obvious he wanted to open up the QB play.

You guys are too scared. You’d take an 18 year old Ernie McCracken and make him bowl with bumpers on the lanes because you’d think he wasn’t “ready” to bowl in a non-developmentally disadvantaged manner.

If your backup QB, who is in his 2nd year in your system, isn’t ready to throw the ball against a G5 team up 20 with 8 minutes left, then you suck when it comes to developing and/or identifying QBs.

Your last sentence is what it is, RIch whiffed on Perry to be ready his second year. He wouldnt be the first coach to do that..

That’s the point: all of the QBs had limited or no reps in the year prior. Kaaya, being a true freshman had no reps.

I’m just not all that inspired by any QB currently on the roster any more because they couldn’t unseat Rosier (and I was all in for Williams). My biggest fear is that no QB, no matter how talented, would’ve started.
I'm down with this, I sure as **** don't trust the coach speak, and I don't believe for a foking second that rosier is the best quarterback on this team, no way. Williams looks really good from what little I have seen, he just has the presence, the poise, the arm, and looks like the brain. Understand he is true frosh but there is no excuse IMO for non of these guys to get any pt, does not seem to me Richt is coaching for a natty. With the lame *** schedule we have we should be able to play all qb's on the roster, we beat SS what by 70 points, its BS. Richt coaches like he has a lifelong job with no chance of losing it, and **** for all we know he does, who knows what he was told when hired. I have a feeling it went something like this " if you come here and coach and just win 7'8'9 games and keep outta trouble you can retire here " sounds about like our admin

Lots of posters use these things like "it's his second year in the system" or it's only "against a G5 team" like they have absolute meanings. Like every player is at the same level when they come in and develop at the same rate and that every G5 team is obviously complete trash. Toledo has distinct disadvantages with size and talent, but they are not a bad team. The gamble to putting him in up by 20 with 8 mins left just to get a few throws is not much less meaningless than what happened. And what if a pick 6 happens?

Advertisement
How quickly you phaggots forget that Richt was doing everything in his power in the off season to not start Rosier this year. He still had to start him. You think he really wants to start Rosier? I'm positive that Perry looked like **** in practice ans during the spring and summer if Rosier beat him out, because Richt made it obvious he wanted to open up the QB play.
Your last sentence is what it is, RIch whiffed on Perry to be ready his second year. He wouldnt be the first coach to do that..

Agreed. There's no way in **** that Rick ended last year not completely open to a legit QB competition. Sure, it's largely his fault that nobody could beat out Rosier but it wasn't because Rosier was cemented in the position or Rick is too conservative to make the move. The blame lies in Perry/Weldon not being ready going into this year not in them not being screwed out of the opportunity to show they are.

Last edited:
Lots of posters use these things like "it's his second year in the system" or it's only "against a G5 team" like they have absolute meanings. Like every player is at the same level when they come in and develop at the same rate and that every G5 team is obviously complete trash. Toledo has distinct disadvantages with size and talent, but they are not a bad team. The gamble to putting him in up by 20 with 8 mins left just to get a few throws is not much less meaningless than what happened. And what if a pick 6 happens?
I would have let Perry play the third quarter and Williams the fourth vs SS, that was the time

Advertisement
We also must look at things in context.

I don't know why it would be "Richt's fault" or "Partially Richt's fault" that three QB's who have never seen real game action in their lives would not beat out a 5th year senior who took a team to the Orange Bowl.

People are looking at other schools and saying that Frosh QB's come in all the time and beat out returning players. I just don't buy it.

So...Weldon would've gotten QTR 2?
I have not seen Weldon but love what I have seen of Williams. I'm just saying you can't judge a guy solely on practice, I played this game at the same level we are at and can tell you some guys just don't get fired up about practice. Seen it many times tbh, a starter goes down and the backup comes in and its like omg where has that been, its been there the whole time but never came out at practice. Yes you have to judge by practice to a point, but who knows what would happen if you throw Williams in there, Saban threw that kid in at prolly the toughest time a qb could come into a game, against a badass defense that were smacking their lips. Look we all know we ain't going anywhere with maleek, that's a fact, why not see what these kids have in a REAL situation, anybody ??

Advertisement
Back